Hello, I just recently purchased an empty 412 cab from craigslist and I've been racking my brain about what to put in. I've also been thinking about picking up the ad100vth, for more wattage to power a 412 (and it's an actual head). I'm really liking Celestion v30's or Greenbacks just because everything I hear is good. I know I should probably go for an all tube something, but I really love my ad50.

I don't really have one particular sound I want to go for though. I'm not playing metal or anything that hard, but definitely some blues stuff like White Stripes or Black Keys, and some general rock and clean for indie stuff. I like the Brit tones I get from the ad50 too, so something that can hopefully cover all of that.

Any help would be awesome.
'07 Fender MIM Strat-Sunburst
'09 Epiphone Les Paul Custom-White
Digitech Whammy
Boss Overdrive/Distortion
VOX AD100VTH + Legion 4x12 Cab
VOX AD50VT + Sunn 2x15 Cab
Squier P-Bass
Acoustic B200H and B115 cab
1967 Hammond J-111 Organ
hah I just posted practically the same thing on my Vox ac100cph lol. any way I think I am going with the vintage 30's. The sound more pronounced and bassier.
"Blood is thicker then stripper sweat."
-Ballsuckulus "aka Marc Justus"
I'd go with greenbacks and v30's in an X formation.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
ah thank you. i just needed a second opinion from professionals.
Digitech Whammy
Squier P-Bass
1967 Hammond J-111 Organ
Quote by The JabberWocky
ah thank you. i just needed a second opinion from professionals.

I only qualify as a pro because I sell the stuff. Nobody is about to pay to hear me play guitar.

on the new AC head. those fuking things.
another question, that probably won't get read, i'm planning on wiring it in series-parallel to get a total impedence of 8 ohms and I was just curious if it would be better to wire the 2 matching speakers together in series, or it probably doesn't matter?

i was also thinking i would buy two at a time. would it damage my amp/cab to run an 8 ohm load into a 16 ohm cab?
Digitech Whammy
Squier P-Bass
1967 Hammond J-111 Organ
I am pretty sure it will screw up something for sure. If you you are going to wait I would wire them in series? and it should be at 8 ohms and when you get the other two redo it all. I am not 100% sure that will work but I think it should work for the time being.
I assumed a little on the last post. But if you go to http://www.avatarspeakers.com/ and click guitar cabs, traditional, click G212H premier cab and scroll to the bottom you can view some great wiring diagrams. I hope that helps!
Last edited by charles753df at Sep 14, 2009,
bumping this because i have another question, might not belong here, but oh well.

anyways, so i'm shooting for a 4x12 with 2 v30's and 2 g12m greenbacks, and musician's friend says they can handle 60watts and 25watts, respectively. will my 50watt amp be enough to crank them to a decent level? i was looking at maybe getting the ad100vth (the more powerful, head version of my amp) to get the volume and power from the speakers.

i've read every description and definition of rms and peak watts and the retarded pmpo and it's all kind of greek to me. if you want to lay it down in some nice simple terms go for it. maybe just some numbers and simple math i can understand, or even a "yes, that will be fine" would be good.

thanks.
Digitech Whammy
Squier P-Bass
1967 Hammond J-111 Organ
yup, yer fine.

Rule of thumb, your cab can handle twice the wattage of your lowest rated speaker. Also you can get 60 watt Vintage 30's, not just 25 watters. But I don't think you need to.

And bump in case I'm wrong.
Quote by gregs1020
Also you can get 60 watt Vintage 30's, not just 25 watters.

Yeah, that's what i said. so is there any real math? where does that rule of thumb come from? cuz what if i had two 25 watters and two 100 watters? it would still be around 50? it's just all so confusing trying to get the tone i want.
Digitech Whammy
Squier P-Bass
1967 Hammond J-111 Organ
Quote by The JabberWocky
Yeah, that's what i said. so is there any real math? where does that rule of thumb come from? cuz what if i had two 25 watters and two 100 watters? it would still be around 50? it's just all so confusing trying to get the tone i want.

the rule comes from the rule makers, or in this case electrical engineers. lol

but basically if you use 2 - 25 and 2 - 100 watts, yes, max is 50 watts

if you use 2 - 60 watt and 2 - 100 watt, max is 120 watts
Quote by gregs1020
but basically if you use 2 - 25 and 2 - 100 watts, yes, max is 50 watts

if you use 2 - 60 watt and 2 - 100 watt, max is 120 watts

so if it's 2 -60's and 2-25's will it be under 50? i'm just not trying to blow out some nice expensive speakers. my amp has a power level knob that i can use to literally turn down the power output, but it would be nice to know that i can crank my amp to full and not hit peak wattage. sorry if this is getting repetitive and tedious, i'm just trying to make sure i'm spending my money wisely and getting speakers to match my amp well.
Digitech Whammy
Squier P-Bass
1967 Hammond J-111 Organ