I use a Boss DD-7, and have put off getting a dedicated non latching switch for tap tempo, but i'm a but confused after reading up on the FS-5U non latching switch. It says it "only activates the effect when your foot is on it". Does that mean I cant just tap a few beats, but i have to keep tapping as long as I want the effect on?
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
That's if you're using it to engage an effect. With the tap tempo, you're using it instead to input to the tap tempo circuit. You just tap twice and it will set the tempo.
Ok, that's what i originally thought. Now, can i just hit the dd-7 once to turn it off, instead of holding like 3 seconds without a switch.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
I'm not fully understanding the concept myself but I believe that you use the switch as a tap tempo and it doesn't control whether the effect is on or not.

I believe it can be used as an "on/off" switch with other effects.
Quote by dcdossett65
but i'm a but confused after reading up on the FS-5U non latching switch. It says it "only activates the effect when your foot is on it".

That's about the FS-5. It's a momentary switch so you can use it for tap tempo. It only gives a signal when you hold your foot on it, that's what they mean.

Quote by dcdossett65
Now, can i just hit the dd-7 once to turn it off, instead of holding like 3 seconds without a switch.

No, if you use tap tempo on the pedal (no external switch) you have to press it 2 or 3 seconds to get into the tap tempo section, tap your tempo, and if you want to switch it of you have to keep the switch pressed down until it switches off.