im looking for a new amp and i got my choices narrowed down to three and i just wanna hear some opinions. right now im looking at the mesa stiletto deuce and roadster series. ive also been looking into the engl savage its a little more expensive but im willing to spend a little more if its worth it. i play a wide range of stuff but basically i want some with enough gain to do whatever but also have a wide range of capabillities and nice cleans would be good
Both are super high quality, so you can't really go wrong, do you know if this model of engl reconfigures the tubes when one blows? That is an awesome feature
they sound pretty different. can you try them?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by guidothepimmp
have you considered the 5:50?

Id say it is one of the nicest boogies

I completely disagree.

For me at least, it's the worst amp Mesa has ever made
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
i felt that way about the 25W, but I really did like the 5:50.

What is it you disliked about it?
Quote by guidothepimmp
i felt that way about the 25W, but I really did like the 5:50.

What is it you disliked about it?

Basically... everything.

For one, they advertise its lead channel as going into Recto territory, when in all honesty, it gets no where close. The cleans are ok and the mid-gain is decent; but they replaced the F series, which ate the Express series alive. The only thing the Express does better than the F series is mid/low gain, but that is not how Mesa advertises the amp at all. The tone from them is decent, but nothing you'd expect from an amp that costs as much as they do, if the price was ~$400 cheaper, then they'd probably be more adequately priced for what they are

The point is, for less than half the price of a new Express, you could buy a better sounding amp from another company that does what it does, but better.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
When you consider the Roadster, which is the solo head sound, compared to the Engl high gain sounds, you are talking about two totally different sounds.

Rectifier solo heads are loose and spongy on the bottom end and the high end isn't very smooth. But, they do seem pretty raw. Clean channel on a solo head sucks!

Engl's high gain sound is extremely tight and compressed with the Savage, Powerball, and Fireball. The gain is also a very clean distortion, not fizzy like a rectifier. They sound less raw and more processed to me, but I'd take my Powerball over my old dual rec on any day, much better sound from the engl. Cleans are normally great out of an engl too.

If you want a great rectifier, go buy a framus cobra. It's designed after the rectifier, but yields a tighter bottom and and smoother top end. Framus has a great clean channel too with tons of headroom.

The Diezel herbert is the best of both worlds. Has that super tight clean gain of an engl but more raw and yet very open sounding like a rectifier.
Jackson KE1F
Jackson KE2
Gibson Gothic Explorer
BC Rich Jr V deluxe

Engl Powerball full stack
Framus Cobra
VHT Pittbull CL50
Quote by RJF
Rectifier solo heads are loose and spongy on the bottom end and the high end isn't very smooth. But, they do seem pretty raw. Clean channel on a solo head sucks!

Have you actually ever tried a Roadster?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw

+1

I haven't played it but apparently there are big differences between the Rectos and Road----'s.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Quote by MatrixClaw

Nope, never played a roadster, but owned a dual rec for years. Isn't the 3rd and 4th channels on the roadster supposed to be the same as the rectifier solo heads?
Jackson KE1F
Jackson KE2
Gibson Gothic Explorer
BC Rich Jr V deluxe

Framus Cobra
VHT Pittbull CL50
Quote by RJF
Nope, never played a roadster, but owned a dual rec for years. Isn't the 3rd and 4th channels on the roadster supposed to be the same as the rectifier solo heads?

Not quite. Similar, but the Roadsters are noticeably tighter, more defined, a bit darker and a lot smoother without all the fizz. Cleans are also much improved.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by RJF
When you consider the Roadster, which is the solo head sound, compared to the Engl high gain sounds, you are talking about two totally different sounds.

Engl's high gain sound is extremely tight and compressed with the Savage, Powerball, and Fireball. The gain is also a very clean distortion, not fizzy like a rectifier. They sound less raw and more processed to me, but I'd take my Powerball over my old dual rec on any day, much better sound from the engl. Cleans are normally great out of an engl too.

If you want a great rectifier, go buy a framus cobra. It's designed after the rectifier, but yields a tighter bottom and and smoother top end. Framus has a great clean channel too with tons of headroom.

The Diezel herbert is the best of both worlds. Has that super tight clean gain of an engl but more raw and yet very open sounding like a rectifier.

I disagree a little. Powerball and Fireball are rather compressed, but the Savage is a good bit more open sounding.

Also, the Cobra wasn't designed after the Recto - it's somewhat similar though, but with a tighter bass if I recall correctly.
Quote by TheQuailman
I disagree a little. Powerball and Fireball are rather compressed, but the Savage is a good bit more open sounding.

Also, the Cobra wasn't designed after the Recto - it's somewhat similar though, but with a tighter bass if I recall correctly.

You are right, the savage is a little less compressed, as is the Invader.

You are wrong on the cobra. THe framus Dragon is built around the idea of a hotrodded rectifier, and the cobra is a hot rodded dragon.
Jackson KE1F
Jackson KE2
Gibson Gothic Explorer
BC Rich Jr V deluxe

Framus Cobra
VHT Pittbull CL50
i say mesa all the way. the roadster is extremely versitile, and cheaper then the engl. though if your going more expensive, its worth looking at the road king(roadsters big brother) it depends on what one you think sounds better. have you tried both of them? if you want to hear a the general difference in their sounds, listen to something of Dream Theater's Train Of Thought (petrucci used a road king, but its sounds isn't too different from the roadster) and Jeff Loomis's solo album not sure what engl he uses, but it gives a general idea of the difference in sound.
Gear:
Ernie Ball MusicMan JP7
Schecter Hellraiser 006
Mesa Boogie Road King s.2
Mesa Boogie 4x12 Recto cab

Ibanez Keeley TS-9
TC Electronics G-Force
Amp Gizmo
Voodoo Labs GCX
Voodoo Labs Ground Control Pro
^ depends on where you are. in europe, mesas are far more expensive than engls, unless you're not comparing "like" models (i.e. comparing the top of the range engl to the bottom of the range mesa).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by RJF
You are right, the savage is a little less compressed, as is the Invader.

You are wrong on the cobra. THe framus Dragon is built around the idea of a hotrodded rectifier, and the cobra is a hot rodded dragon.

Yeah, that's what I meant - the Cobra is just a modified Dragon. They changed the values of some caps and resistors but that's about it, the schematics are nearly identical.
I have a hard time believing the Dragon was modelled after a Recto though, the two sound nothing alike to my ears.
Quote by TheQuailman

I have a hard time believing the Dragon was modelled after a Recto though, the two sound nothing alike to my ears.
They sound extremely similar to my ears, just with the cobra being smoother and tighter. I owned a dual rec for like 7 years.
Jackson KE1F
Jackson KE2
Gibson Gothic Explorer
BC Rich Jr V deluxe

Framus Cobra
VHT Pittbull CL50