Still a beginner, but getting there. Started a lot of alt picking exercise in the last month.I usually use gauge 10s. Recently went down to 9's last week to try and get my string bending/vibrato practiced more accurately with the lower tension. But it is making fast alt picking more difficult as the string bounces more.

So simple question really......Is it easier to speed pick with higher tension strings?

Getting a new guitar this week, so I'll be keeping the 9's on the other one and back up to 10's on my new beast. (Ibanez RGT6EXFX if your interested) Will probably progress up to 11's in the future
you should stick with the 10s on both gats, the nines dont really help you with string bend accuracy, they actually mke it harder as they stretch too much and by changing them your gats intonation is now set fro the wrons string weight, go back to the 10s
Lighter tension usualy meanings it's easier to play faster, you need less pressure to hold the strings down.

However, it's harder to get the pick to glide over the top of lighter gauge strings because there is more give. So if you dig in too much, the pick will catch on the string, as opposed to heavier gauges where if you dig in more the pick with just be dragged over the string.

So, lighter strings make it easier to play faster/alternate pick, but are less forgiving for a begginer.
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Quote by pigeonmafia
Lighter tension usualy meanings it's easier to play faster, you need less pressure to hold the strings down.

However, it's harder to get the pick to glide over the top of lighter gauge strings because there is more give. So if you dig in too much, the pick will catch on the string, as opposed to heavier gauges where if you dig in more the pick with just be dragged over the string.

So, lighter strings make it easier to play faster/alternate pick, but are less forgiving for a begginer.

Brilliant, straight to the point and question answered. Thanks
Quote by Freepower
I'd say that it's slightly harder to pick fast on lighter strings - they just don't supply enough return or feedback to the hand in my opinion.

I disagree, you shouldn't really be relying in the action of the string "feeding back" to your hand. Also, I must point out that there is a difference, but its only really "easier" or "harder" for beginners- as with a good technique you should be able to play the same, it will just feel different.

Not saying you have bad technique, freepower, just pointing out that its down to opinion, and shouldn't really make a difference to how you play.
Quote by chainsawguitar
I disagree, you shouldn't really be relying in the action of the string "feeding back" to your hand. Also, I must point out that there is a difference, but its only really "easier" or "harder" for beginners- as with a good technique you should be able to play the same, it will just feel different.

Not saying you have bad technique, freepower, just pointing out that its down to opinion, and shouldn't really make a difference to how you play.

I agree though, I've never used my hand to feel where the string was through resistance to the string, it seems to lead to people digging in too much. Although it really is personal preference, as Freepower has excelent technique
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Quote by chainsawguitar

All these nice things said about my playing!

I would say it's slightly harder (and would suggest that a decent amount of feedback is necessary - based on personal experiece, Howard Roberts and Jamey Andreas - just providing my sources!) but it shouldn't make a significant difference - there are many reasons to choose different types and gauges of string and this isn't a biggie.

(and I frigging love digging in - I harder than necessary most of the time )

*polite disagreement and all round*
I definitely believe that the higher the string gauge, the easier it is to pick overall. I personally prefer anything that is 11 gauge or more mainly for this reason.
I find that increasing your PICK's gauge actually help with picking. I went from a med.-light gauge to the heaviest i could find and it really helped. You dont have to pick as hard since the pick doesnt bend as much, making alt picking, trem picking, and sweep picking alot easier, for me at least.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
I was actually going to mention pick gauge too. But if you have 8s on your guitar and are using a 2mm pick, you can say goodbye to those strings.