what the title says: would G# standard and other extremely low tunings be bad for my amp or guitar amps in general? do bands who play in these tunings use bass amps?
Quote by webbtje
A woman's perspective is great, you get to stare down at least one top without anyone caring.
You know your tuning is too low when you use a bass amp on your guitar.
Quote by icaneatcatfood
On second thought, **** tuning forks. You best be carrying around a grand piano that was tuned by an Italian
Quote by skwelcher
what the title says: would G# standard and other extremely low tunings be bad for my amp or guitar amps in general? do bands who play in these tunings use bass amps?

The more you go down, the more power you need.

Therefore Bass amps sometimes have up to 1000W or more and there are guitar-amps (like the triple recitifier) that have 150W.

It would be good to know what amp/s you are using.
It shouldn't be bad so much for the AMP you're using as it would be for the speakers.
As long as it has enough headroom and/or it's a decently suited tube amp.

I'd say it should be fine as long as you're using a 4x12" cab to handle the amount of low end coming from such a thing.
Randall make a 2x12"/1x15" cab
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone SG Special Customshop
Jackson JS30RR

Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss Metal Zone
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Ibanez Lo Fi
Behringer Tuner

Marshall AVT100X

Quote by IUseAPurplePick
Quote by Joshrocker48
I Use a purple pick.

+1
Quote by Kinslaya
The more you go down, the more power you need.

Therefore Bass amps sometimes have up to 1000W or more and there are guitar-amps (like the triple recitifier) that have 150W.

It would be good to know what amp/s you are using.

...peavey bandit 112 w/ sheffield speaker. it seems like i've been made fun of more for this amp than when i had my 2 spiders...
Quote by webbtje
A woman's perspective is great, you get to stare down at least one top without anyone caring.
Quote by shredder408
why would you want it that low?

cannibal corpses evisceration plague. it's just something new to try out
Quote by webbtje
It'll be fine, guitar amps only amplify what is being played. If it sounds bad, it's because of the guitar not amp. There's no such thing as too low or too high for a guitar amp if you're using it with a guitar. When you play a note, there are harmonic overtones that are higher and lower. Downtuning doesn't add really add anything new. The fundamental note is lower but not it's not anywhere near as low as than the overtones you'll get while playing in standard tuning. If it sounds like a fart, it's the guitar, not the amp.
^+1

Fundamentally, playing in low tunings doesnt have any repercussions on the quality of your amp. Also there is no necessary equipment needed for playing in such tunings (aside from heavier strings etc), it just takes a little bit extra time in the EQ process to accomodate for any lack of clarity.
If that is so why is it dangerous for the amp to use a bass guitar through a guitar amp?
Because a bass guitars' signal is much different than that of a low tuned guitar, hearing a guitar tuned to E1 and a bass low E is a very different sound, the frequencies carried from a guitar are much more mid ranged in essence.
The fundamental of G#1 is a low ~52Hz and I could imagine a cheap speaker having a difficult time when cranked. The only sure way to tell is to listen to it and if you hear it farting out/distoring, that means you need to turn it down.
Quote by skwelcher
...peavey bandit 112 w/ sheffield speaker. it seems like i've been made fun of more for this amp than when i had my 2 spiders...

Curious about this... i have a bandit 112 and it's been good to me.
Fender USA Stratocaster HSS
Schecter C-1 FR Hellraiser
Ibanez RG 321mh
Fender Squier Strat
Bugera V22
Line 6 Spider Valve HD100
Line 412 cab V 30's
As long as you use a good amp and good speakers with good definition, it won't hurt.
Stormlord use Mesa Dual Rectifiers and play in G# tuning, and they sound great.
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
Quote by JMeasles
Curious about this... i have a bandit 112 and it's been good to me.

i love my amp too, but for some reason i've been made more fun of for this amp than my spiders
Quote by webbtje
i went to learn that song too but strings>floppy and ive gott thick ones !
Bong Rips
& Bong Rips
& Bong Rips
& Bong Rips
Quote by rafa7008
I have a question too.
If I use my whammy pedal to play an octave lower, would it hurt my speaker? It's a laney 30 watts SS

Yeah I always wonder the same thing when using my octave pedal.
Quote by leech3
If that is so why is it dangerous for the amp to use a bass guitar through a guitar amp?

You know that high pitched scream/girly voice guys can sort of imitate?

Yeah, hit a note with that, and then hit the same note in your regular voice.

It's the same note, but it sounds completely different. Imagine the guitar as the high pitched one and bass as the lower pitched one.

Sure, you can tune down and play like a bass, but you will never actually sound like one.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.