Looking to subscribe to a guitar mag for a year.....Whats the best one in your opinion?
i like 'total guitar', its got really good tutorials and has pretty good gear reviews. Also, 'guitar buyer', its aimed more at reviewing gear, but is still a great read.
i personally prefer guitar world
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
Floor Pod (for sale)
Depends what exactly you want to see in the mag. "Total Guitar" has a bit of everything, is a good entertaining read, and has tabs and technique. But there's other ones that are more focussed on just technique and such.
Guitar techniques if you want to improve your playing.

Total Guitar/Guitar World if you want to learn songs by slash, hendrix, or whatever's popular this month.
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
total guitar used to be good about a year or so ago, then they changed the layout, shortened certain sections, only seem to tab the latest screamo metal bands, and i find the editorial style to be very childish and aimed at a young teenage audience. i was avid reader until this happened!
In Germany there's a magazine called 'Guitar'. I like this one, because it has some really useful workshops and they tab perfectly.
I've always liked Guitarist. Usually a good mix of gear reviews, techniques and music reviews.
Gibson SG Diablo . Fender Cali Series Strat . Modded Epi Firebird . Seagull 25th Anniv. CW
Korg Pitchblack > Vox V847 >
Big Muff π TW >
Boss OC-3 > Memory Boy
Vox AD50VT
Guitar World usually has the most interesting articles, IMHO.

Also I like their sense of humor.
Guitarist or guitar techniques

Total guitar is flavour of the month crap but occasionally it has decent songs to learn
Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known.

¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨
I like Total Guitar and Guitarist.
Quote by ch0
I once trapped my left testicle in a vice. I have no left testicle.
Just a thought you can get the PDF version of Premier Guitar for free.
total guitar and guitar techniques are crap they repeat everything every 8 months and according to them the only scale worth knowing is Am pentatonic.
guitarist is okay i buy it occasionally
i prefer the american magazines far more informative and up-to-date, therefore guitar world and guitar player.
another good magazine i read in the newsagent (actually stood there and read it without buying it) is guitar tech.

it`s a shame guitar for the practicing musician went bust, that was the best mag ever.

total guitar,guitar tecniques and guitarist are published by the same company that runs music radar.
Last edited by ibanezgod1973 at Sep 14, 2009,
Quote by --ESTRANGED--
i like 'total guitar', its got really good tutorials and has pretty good gear reviews. Also, 'guitar buyer', its aimed more at reviewing gear, but is still a great read.

NO TO TOTAL GUITAR.
Guitar and Bass is my favourite.
Closely followed by Guitar Techniques (for lessons and tabs) and Guitarist (for articles).

Total Guitar and Guitar World are the Tabloids of guitar magazines, I only buy them if there's something which I'm interested in in it (like when Guitar world recently had the Vai cover)
My brother recently bought the Guitar World Magazine (cause of the 'It might get loud' article) pretty intersting articles
Control your destiny.
total guitar is a heap of ****

guitatist tends to be my choice
GEAR
94 Fender Stratocaster Plus
02 Gibson Les Paul Special (modded)
Orange AD-30 Combo

The SG Thread pwns your thread.
Guitar World is my personal favourite. Lots of tabs, good lessons, interesting interviews and featured articles, reviews of interesting gear, and very well written, too. However, they seem to write exclusively about classic rock or modern metal.
Guitarist is my fave - more for looking at pics of pretty PRS than for the fairness of their reviews (or lack of). Has some lessons at the back and usually one transcription. The columnists are mostly the same as the ones in Guitar Techniques so there's quite often an overlap.

I used to buy GT fairly regularly but felt the quality of the backing tracks had gone downhill and it wasn't really worth £5 just for one or two lessons of interest.

Guitar Buyer is ok but generally they review the same equipment as Guitarist and page after page of reviews isn't the most interesting read.

I never buy the USA mags so can't comment on them.
American Deluxe maple board Strat
Hot Rod Deluxe
Fulltone Fulldrive II mosfet
Been a loyal subscriber to Guitar World now for about 3 years. Love that mag.

Another great one, although I can't read much of it as it is a Jap mag...Young Guitar. The stuff I can figure out by pictures is so good. Never seen guitar taught or laid out the way that mag has it. And they all or almost all have a dvd with it, and it is much better than the GW dvds, as these usually have the artist showing you how to play his own song, not some editor that is playing it his way.
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
I read guitarist if i read anything, but they have a sad obsession with the blues, and they tend to lean towards more expensive gear.
CuSO4

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
Guitar Techniques is the best by far. Too bad it's like $15 where I live, since I'm American. I'm also quite fond of Guitar Player. I subscribed to Guitar World for a while, but then they went down the shitter. The last straw was when they cancelled Vic Juris' column.
Guitarist is the best. Total Guitar is the worst.
Fender Lite Ash --> TC Polytune --> Digitech Whammy V --> MXR Phase 90 --> EHX Small Clone --> Strymon Orbit --> TC Flashback X4 --> Rivera R55
Does anybody know whatever happened to Guitar One? I used to really enjoy that magazine but haven't seen it in years.
Quote by fretz86
Does anybody know whatever happened to Guitar One? I used to really enjoy that magazine but haven't seen it in years.

Wasn't it just a sister co to Guitar World?
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
depends on what you want it for... each has its own niche, really.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by fretz86

It was cancelled a couple of years ago. I thought this was common knowledge.