hey guys, my band has a fair bit of money saved up, and we're looking to buy some recording gear. the one problem being we are completely clueless as far as what method of recording is best for us, how much its going to cost us (in AUD) and what all we need to get recordings done. we're a 5 piece band made up of 2 guitarists, a bassist, a singer, and a drummer.

could someone give a list of the different routes we could go? the equipment required? brand recomendations? cost?

any help is appreciated, thanks
Geets:
Ibanez GSA60
Epiphone SG/LP custom
Schecter Damien elite 7
Fender Highway one Telecaster

Pedals:
Visual sound Jekyll and Hyde

Amp:
Peavey 6505
Marshall M412a cab
Peavey Classic 50

GO STEELERS!
As far as interfaces go I just purchased a Lexicon I-onix usb interface and love it. Comes in an 8-channel as well (which is probably what you'll need to properly record drums).
-Ibanez js1200
-Epiphone Les Paul w/ Invader in bridge
-Alvarez acoustic
-Orange Thunderverb 50w w/ 1x12 cab
-Vox Satchurator
-Ibanez ts-9
-Pod x3
-Apple Logic Studio

www.purevolume.com/stoplooklisten
Quote by lespaul90
As far as interfaces go I just purchased a Lexicon I-onix usb interface and love it. Comes in an 8-channel as well (which is probably what you'll need to properly record drums).

alright, and how would i go about recording drums? and if i could get a list of everything step by step that i need for recording everything would be great too

sorry but i really am that stupid
Geets:
Ibanez GSA60
Epiphone SG/LP custom
Schecter Damien elite 7

Pedals:

Amp:
Peavey 6505
Marshall M412a cab
Peavey Classic 50

GO STEELERS!
how many mics are you planning on getting? and what kind of interface will you be getting? that 8 channel one lespaul90 was talking about would be your best bet assuming you'll have enough mics to fill out those channels.

miking a standard 3 tom kit can take anywhere from 1 or 2 (cheap home recording style) to up to 16ish (pro studio style) mics.

to get the kick sounding right, you'll need a dedicated kick mic (which also works well on bass cabs if you want to mic those too)
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Shure-Beta-52A-Kick-Drum-Mic?sku=270267

for a more pro kind of set up:
you would need at least one sm57 for the snare (2 preferably)
2 overheads and 1 on the hi hat (all 3 small diaphragm condensers)
and tom mics

or you could get a package deal which would probably save you money
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Shure-Drum-Mic-Package?sku=270263

even with that you'll have to pick up a few extra's for a complete setup.

you could also go the cheap home style with maybe 2 overheads and a kick mic. it all depends on your budget. but keep in mind that mics that sound crazy good on drums and/or guitar/bass cabs, may not sound good on a voice.

you may want to get a few all purpose kind of mics (if only those existed...) and go with a less than perfect sound on everything, but still have some money left in your wallet.

dont forget to factor in the cost for mic stands and cables. those add up a lot faster than you would think.
alright thanks guys. anything else i should know?
Geets:
Ibanez GSA60
Epiphone SG/LP custom
Schecter Damien elite 7

Pedals:

Amp:
Peavey 6505
Marshall M412a cab
Peavey Classic 50

GO STEELERS!