so I'm translating a doctorate paper of a friend's mom from german to english, it's 3500 words, and includes sentances like
The goal of the studies was to find out how chlorite and chlorate are produced during the disinfection of actual drinking water samples from German marine ships, using chlorine dioxide. In doing so, it would be possible to compare both disinfection methods, and optimise the quality of drinking water on board, while also minimising the production of disinfectional byproducts. The tests are to find the method and standardise it on board of vessels; the method is to be easy to use by the crew, and also be a reliable, safe and byproduct-free disinfection method.

I was thinking about 250 Euros, what do you think? it's the hardest thing I've ever had to translate, and I'm pretty sure some of the grammar is wrong, but I also have only 2 days to translate.
250€ and a couple of expensive prostitutes to play Halo 3 with should be enough.
Sworn enemy of the private investigator.
a blowjob (but not from your friend's mom).

note: if she is hot (and has small boobs), go for it anyway.

Quote by icaneatcatfood
On second thought, **** tuning forks. You best be carrying around a grand piano that was tuned by an Italian
Bull**** on it and use google translation. Free money.

(Yes I know google translation is ****.)

Charge 300 dollars. Not sure how that converts to Euros...
University of Kentucky Wildcats Football - (5-4)
Cincinnati Bengals - (6-2)
Cincinnati Reds - (78-84)

Ugly Poop Colored Text

My last.fm
add me as a friend, fool.
most translators charge by the hour. Lots of finnish-to-english translators in my family

obviously it depends how good you are but for something that difficult you could feasibly charge about €25 per hour. And then if you feel robbed when you add up your total, say it took you a few hours more than it did

suggest she pays to get it proofread too, nobody's perfect. My dad used to work for news networks doing professional proofreading, even experts make a couple of small mistakes.
Last edited by Mistress_Ibanez at Sep 14, 2009,
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
most translators charge by the hour. Lots of finnish-to-english translators in my family

obviously it depends how good you are but for something that difficult you could feasibly charge about €25 per hour. And then if you feel robbed when you add up your total, say it took you a few hours more than it did

Some charge by the word as well, which seems more logical to me.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Quote by CrunkMcStuddles
Bull**** on it and use google translation. Free money.

(Yes I know google translation is ****.)

Charge 300 dollars. Not sure how that converts to Euros...

about 175 euros, no way in hell I'm taking that little.
Tell her £250... but she won't get the antidote then laugh manically.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Green_Jelly
Some charge by the word as well, which seems more logical to me.

That's stupid, words mean nothing in comparison to real meaning. You have a lot of phrasal sentences that can be conveyed in a single word in the target language.

People could so easily BS and make an overly wordy translation to get paid more.

Good translators get paid by the hour. Crap translators charge by the word and then don't get contracted by the same company again.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
That's stupid, words mean nothing in comparison to real meaning. You have a lot of phrasal sentences that can be conveyed in a single word in the target language.

People could so easily BS and make an overly wordy translation to get paid more.

Good translators get paid by the hour. Crap translators charge by the word and then don't get contracted by the same company again.

this is a point I've never thought of before.

have I ever told you you're extremly attractive?
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

I'm talking about the amount of words in the source texts. But you have a point when it comes to idiom.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Quote by CoreysMonster

Going by common sense and lacking of knowledge, I guess you could charge as much as she is willing to pay and at a reasonable amount. Also, you might want to consider if she is likely to have another job for you in the future, in that case you want to build a good rapport/do a good job/don't overcharge.
Quote by icaneatcatfood
On second thought, **** tuning forks. You best be carrying around a grand piano that was tuned by an Italian
Quote by Laces Out Danny

Going by common sense and lacking of knowledge, I guess you could charge as much as she is willing to pay and at a reasonable amount. Also, you might want to consider if she is likely to have another job for you in the future, in that case you want to build a good rapport/do a good job/don't overcharge.

I'm hoping she recommends me to other people, so I definately don't want to overcharge.
Quote by CoreysMonster

Actually I would like to retract my last mini-rant about paying by the word. I just looked on my friend's business website for her translation and she charges €1.75 (about €2 after VAT) per 60 character translation line. How many lines are there in your text? I think 300 would actually be a pretty good under-charge to get her to promote you to her friends. (unless you mess it up of course!)
Quote by Kensai
Tell her £250... but she won't get the antidote then laugh manically.

The poison Dr. Jones, you just drank it!

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Quote by Craigo
UG could proof read it for you if you really wanted to.

we'll keep it appropriate, promise!
Quote by icaneatcatfood
well im an english -spainish translator in my spare time.
and people generally ask me an houraly rate which changes depending on the document will vary.
but i also hear about a lot of people charging per word
You are free to do what we tell you.
charge that much, but sure as hell make sure it's close to perfect, your chargin for translation of a piece of work.
Quote by ep1kz

i've yet to see somebody overthink something as incredibly as you just have