This seems to be one of the more accurate schematics of a fuzz face out there, and I'd like to build one, but I see that when buying germanium transistors that you can run into more problems than the silicon transistors.

On small bear, they have a HUGE ass list of germanium transistors to choose from.

So I have three questions based upon my data collected...

A. Which transistor should I pick to get just a simple fuzz-face?
B. What are the 'resistor values used' when building the circuit?
C. If I were to use a simple tone pot on this pedal, what would the pot value be and would I put it directly before the output?
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
I used this site for when I made my Fuzz Face: http://fuzzcentral.ssguitar.com/fuzzface.php . I built the NPN Silicon one, (second down) and I used a BC549 transistor, which sounds good to my ears.

The NPN silicon means you don't really have to be careful of it overheating and it also means you can wire it up with a standard DC jack if you wanted, as it would be negative ground. The resistor value depends on which version you are building, 470 for the older one (60's) or 330 for the newer (70's).
If you are going to build a PNP version, you can choose any of SB's PNP pairs.

The schematic you posted has the resistor values. Last time I bought germanium transistors from Smallbear, they came with recommended resistor values.

You can't just throw a pot on there and have it work as a tone control. You will need some resistors and caps to make it work as a tone control. You will probably want a passive tone control. Take a look at other schematics with tone controls. Also google Stupidly Wonderful Tone Control. It's simple and works pretty good.

Edit: Here is the link: SWTC
Last edited by Griffin Effects at Sep 14, 2009,
I know you can't just throw a pot on and work as a tone control. I was going to use the basic low-pass filter you find on guitars.

So what you're saying is to just buy the germanium set I want, build the circuit that I have posted, and change the resistor values to the ones small bear recommends?
Pain is an illusion.
YouTube Channel
You know, half of this forum is filled with topics about squier mods; I come in with a legitimate question about a real piece of building and I get ignored.

GGUG
Pain is an illusion.
YouTube Channel
Last edited by sesstreets at Sep 14, 2009,
Sure, but its not like I made a thread each time I decided to mod it or add a switch. Whatev. Thanks kurt.
Pain is an illusion.
YouTube Channel