Hi, first off i 'apologise' for making another one of these threads, but i hope you don't mind since i don't really know where to start looking!

So it's new guitar time, but i need your help. I have a few preferences in mind, but i really don't know where to look. I have thought about a strat, but i quite fancy something a bit different (not in shape, but all my piers have a fender of some kind, and i haven't been wowed by any of them). I checked out the Schecter C-1 classic, but living in the UK means it is quite hard for me to try one in the particular location i am in, and if i'm gonna spend £700 on the guitar i'd like to try it first.

Owning an Ibanez, i quite like the thin unfinished neck, but i haven't really tried that many other guitars, so i don't actually know if i do like the thin unfinished neck . My friend has an Epiphone LP which supposedly has a fat neck but i didn't particularly mind it.

My current gear is in my sig, and my preffered style of music is rock and metal, for example Breaking Benjamin, GnR, Van Halen, Killswitch, all the way to Incubus.

I have a few criteria for the guitar
- I'd prefer to get the guitar new
- NO floating bridge, i want to quickly change between E standard and drop D
- I'd prefer to have passive p'ups, to avooid the hassle of batteries and maintain cleans
- My budget is around £500, i could stretch by a few hundred but i would have to really really like the guitar

If there's any information i can provide just lmk, i appreciate any advice!

tl;dr: new guitar needed, budget £500-700, for rock and metal style, must be new, passive p'ups and not a floating trem.

Thanks guys
Ibanez RG370DX
Schecter C-1 Classic
Valveking 112 w/ Celestion V30
Bad Monkey
Tanglewood TW28 Acoustic
Yeah, a Les Paul would be fine for you.
Laura: Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Sam: Samick Stratocaster Copy (first guitar)
----
Marshall MG250DFX
----
Boss SD-1
Onerr Super Distortion
MIM Fender Fat strat. I know you say you dont want to go with fender. But in your situation, Thats what i would choose...
http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/15948-ibanez-szr720-tg-transparent-grey-.html

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/33833-ibanez-ibanez-rgt6exfx-black-.html

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/18545-washburn-x50-pro-transparent-black.html

The last two have active pickups, but the battery life is long as long as you don't leave it plugged in (to the jack). It doesn't really become a pain otherwise.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Last edited by strat0blaster at Sep 14, 2009,
With your criteria, i'd suggest looking into:
1. ESP Brand. This brand will get you some pretty sweet results for the genres you are looking for. Their guitars handle lots of gain (which you will use for metal) better than most brands, and transition to other genres pretty well.
2. Gibson Les Paul. Almost any GLP for that price range will fair well through those genres, just not AS well as an ESP for metal. This would work better for the Incubus, GnR, and Van Halen.

You might wind up in my situation in order to make the best of your playing:
I use two guitars for gigs/recording. One is an ESP, the other is a 1950s Fender Strat. I use the ESP for anything with a lot of distortion, and use the Strat for everything else (blues, funk, rock, SOME alternative). So you might want to judge what your current guitar is best at and possibly buy a guitar that covers the rest of them. This way you cover all genres with the perfect guitar in your arsenal!
Quote by Ben Baczenas
1. ESP Brand. This brand will get you some pretty sweet results for the genres you are looking for. Their guitars handle lots of gain (which you will use for metal) better than most brands, and transition to other genres pretty well.
2. Gibson Les Paul. Almost any GLP for that price range will fair well through those genres, just not AS well as an ESP for metal. This would work better for the Incubus, GnR, and Van Halen.

I use two guitars for gigs/recording. One is an ESP, the other is a 1950s Fender Strat. I use the ESP for anything with a lot of distortion, and use the Strat for everything else (blues, funk, rock, SOME alternative). So you might want to judge what your current guitar is best at and possibly buy a guitar that covers the rest of them. This way you cover all genres with the perfect guitar in your arsenal!

+1 thats where i am. Due to the current economy and whatever else the hell happens in life. I ia down to 2 guitars. My (fully modded) MIM fender fat strat. And my Schecter Tempest Custom. Between the 2, i can get anything i need. For now anyway, Until the economy gets better and i can start gassing for gear again.
Quote by Ben Baczenas

This, by the looks of it this is coming from a professional Musician so id listen to him if i were you!

It's also one of the few good posts made by an 09-er :P
Quote by HalfBlackJack
In the good old days of PS2 sony would send me out new consoles for fun!

PS2 just died for no reason? new console : )
Coffee spilt all over it? new console : )
Got pissed on in the night???? new console : )

I miss pissing on consoles : (
Quote by Ben Baczenas

it is great advice, but i am not totally up on foreign currency and i don't know if those guitars will come in under the 500 bills budget(sorry, i don't even know how to make that symbol). now LTD is a lower end model of ESP that is not quite as crazy expensive, but aren't nearly as nice. i consider them comparable to ibanez RG270dx's and schecter diamond series. i just got a les paul double cutaway for around 800 usd, but i was very lucky and it is not quite what you think of when you think les paul(like slab body with no maple top)

to tell truth, i think your best bet is to try guitars with different styles of fix bridge(i like tune-o-matics with the stop bar tailpiece myself, but some people like ones closer to the body), different body woods(i don't dig on maple tops too much, ash bodies are my fav, and mahogany is what i use to compliment my ash in a recorded mix), different neck styles(i like maple with a radius fret board, but my fav strat has a rosewood fretboard), pickups(i really dig on alnico pickups, but your genre would probably like ceramic) and controls/control positions. there are other things like headstock style, chambered bodies, fixed/set necks, headstock angles(to avoid string trees) and hardware(like tuners). but the more versed you are on these options the more you can anticipate what you would like and make a better choice for yourself. and really, no matter how knowledgeable or professional we are on these forums only you can figure out what is best for your playing style.

i only spent this much answering cuz i could tell you actually thought about the question and spent so of your own time trying to figure out what you want. i like to reward that. i, myself, use a 2008 american standard HSS strat with ash body on a fulcrum bridge with handwound suhr alnico pickups, the top volume knob yanked out, the 2 bottom tone knobs were moded to be volume knobs(the bottom knob controls the neck and middle pickups and the 'middle' knob controls the bridge humbucker and that knob has a coil tap to make the HB into a single coil). this guitar allows me to do tons of things a 'normal' strat can't and every option there was derived off of me doing my homework and knowing what i wanted when i bought it based off experiences of playing different guitars
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Keep in mind that for most guitar brands, the USD price will have the same digit number in GBP, but with the different symbol. Example, Gibson SG for $800 will generally cost £800. For other brands, they're overpriced in the UK (Such as ESP/LTD) due to the import costs.
For a budget below £600 I always recommend Washburn, as they're one of the few brands that DON'T keep the digit the same, or overprice.
I'd get the Washburn X-50 Pro, or the WI-66 Pro. Both are brilliant.
Thanks for the replies everyone. I've looked at all the links and thoroughly read any advice you have given me, thanks for that everyone. I think a Gibson LP is way out of my price range to be honest... perhaps not the studio, but i'm not sure if they're 'any good'?

I was looking at ESP quite a lot, but in my price range it seems most guitars have the Floyd Rose tremelo . I don't suppose any of you have any views about the ESP LTD H1001FM? That was one that stood out to me, but it's an LTD....??

I also recently looked at Washburn, having not really heard of them before until a few months ago. Theh X50 pro gets recommend a lot around here i noticed, and for £500 with EMG's it looks to be a steal compared to most other guitars in that price range!!

I just love the look of the Schecter C-1 Classic. The vin of life inlay, the pick ups, the blue top, it just looks and sounds from youtube demo's amazing and very versatile, although my only chance of getting one would be from Thomann! Not being able to play it first though and the whole returns issue puts me off completely :'(

But yeh i definately realise i just have to go and play some to get an idea. Atleast if i played another guitar with a painted neck of similar size to a Schecter i could atleast get some idea. Thanks for the advice guys, if you've got any more throw it at me.
Ibanez RG370DX
Schecter C-1 Classic
Bad Monkey
Tanglewood TW28 Acoustic
Quote by Tedis1111
save the money and buy some fire
then burn your marshall

Haha i didn't think i could escape the Marshall taunt. And don't worry, i'll save myself some money and just bash it with my Pacifica.
Ibanez RG370DX
Schecter C-1 Classic
Bad Monkey
Tanglewood TW28 Acoustic
Quote by Darkpagey
Haha i didn't think i could escape the Marshall taunt. And don't worry, i'll save myself some money and just bash it with my Pacifica.

no, fire
Get a Hagstrom. I don't know if they have them in the UK, but I'm almost entirely sure they'd be within your budget.

I'd suggest a Super Swede.