Page 1 of 2
i'm gonnaget a new guitar , but first i wanna know what do you think of the fingerboard?? how are they like and wich you prefer. personally i've only played with rosewood fingerboards and i can't say much more except that once i tried a rosewood but covered with something, it was a cort guitar that had a fingerboard that looked like the one of satriani. anyways which do you think is softer and easier to play??
I like Ebony better, but between Rosewood and Maple... probably Rosewood.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
I've found maple easier to play with. I like rosewood too, but I usually stick to maple when possible. Just feels better and smoother to me than any other type of fingerboard wood.

Besides, I like the look of maple on Strats and Teles
My preference is ebony first, then maple, then rosewood. Unless the rosewood has been oiled recently.
It really depends on the finish applies to the maple and how it feels in your hand.
Therefore, go and try guitars with the two woods [specifically one you want to buy] and see what you prefer.

I personally love a good Maple neck [One piece preferably, but I do also have a 2 piece neck which is amazing], especially on a Fender.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Last edited by Simsimius at Sep 14, 2009,
I always ended up with rosewood, because the guitars i got didn't come in maple. But i prefer maple, it feels smoother and to me sounds that much better. But you won't go wrong with either one.
Maple, smoother and much less maintenance.
Jackson DK2M
Washburn WD-18SW
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Genz Benz El Diablo 100w -> Framus Dragon 412
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9
I love the crisp feel from my rosewood. sure, it's a bit more manteinance involved but you should treat your guitar nicely anyway. Seconding comes ebony and finally maple, the latter feels to sticky for me.
Quote by eyeplayguitar
I've always had rosewood, so now I'm just used to it....

this.

I prefer Rosewood.
Control your destiny.
I'd bet 100$ right now that I could set 2 identical guitars next to each other, blindfold you and let you play them and you wouldn't be able o tell me which was maple and which was rosewood. Really the only way to tell for yourself is to play many of each and then decide, but in the end I'd say it's more to do with looks then anything else. Therefor I'd choose maple just because I love the way it looks.

Also, you can't just pick up one guitar with each kind of neck and then say that the rosewood plays better, you could only really say that that guitar played better. You'd really have to play a few of each and then come to the conclusion that the guitars with the maple play better (or sound better, or whatever).
Last time I checked my fingers don't actually hit the wood on the fretboard. So I don't see how the wood affects playability. Looks yes. Sound, maybe. Probably not very noticeable on an electric.
i like both
but i prefer rosewood
looks nicer
GEAR
94 Fender Stratocaster Plus
02 Gibson Les Paul Special (modded)
Orange AD-30 Combo

The SG Thread pwns your thread.
Rosewood....
I acually enjoy the extra required maintenance....
Love the smell of Lemon Oil in the morning...LOL...
And I believe any guitarist should enjoy or at the very least not mind the extra work..
Show your instrument a little love.. And it will return it upon you.

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
Last edited by jonmo1 at Sep 14, 2009,
Quote by RoughDraft274
I'd bet 100$ right now that I could set 2 identical guitars next to each other, blindfold you and let you play them and you wouldn't be able o tell me which was maple and which was rosewood. Really the only way to tell for yourself is to play many of each and then decide, but in the end I'd say it's more to do with looks then anything else. Therefor I'd choose maple just because I love the way it looks.

Also, you can't just pick up one guitar with each kind of neck and then say that the rosewood plays better, you could only really say that that guitar played better. You'd really have to play a few of each and then come to the conclusion that the guitars with the maple play better (or sound better, or whatever).

Where's my $100 b*tch?

My Jackson has a maple board, my two Ibanez have rosewood boards and my acoustic has an ebony board. The difference is huge.
Jackson DK2M
Washburn WD-18SW
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9
Quote by James13v
Where's my $100 b*tch?

My Jackson has a maple board, my two Ibanez have rosewood boards and my acoustic has an ebony board. The difference is huge.

Apparently you didn't read the details of the bet.

2 IDENTICLE guitars, one with rosewood fretboard, the other with maple.

In your argument, there are many other things different between each guitar. So the difference cannot be definately attributed to the fretboard wood.

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
Quote by jonmo1
Rosewood....
I acually enjoy the extra required maintenance....
Love the smell of Lemon Oil in the morning...LOL...
And I believe any guitarist should enjoy or at the very least not mind the extra work..
Show your instrument a little love.. And it will return it upon you.

lol, yeah me too
Control your destiny.
I prefer the feel of Maple (to me it's smoother), but I like the look of Rosewood on most bodies more. There are a few exceptions, though.
Maple > ebony > weird woods for fretboards like oak and mahogany > rosewood as far as I'm concerned. It's really preference, rosewood has a darker, ballsier tone, maple has a clearer, punchier tone. As for feel that's your call.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
I'm a sucker for a Maple board. Played one once and that was it. No more rosewood fro me. Maple on my electric, and ebony on my acoustic.

Ebony > Maple > Rosewood.
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
It depends on the guitar. Personally, i'd go with maple every time. it feels lighter, and thinner to me. Plus i think it looks great on almost anything. Especially fenders. But it's really more of an experience thing. I recommend goin to your closest shop and just playin around on both types of necks and see what feels better to you.
Never met a wise man. If so, its a woman ~Kurt Cobain
Rosewood feels, sounds and reacts better to me, though a good piece of ziricote, kingwood, purpleheart or simply maple that is finished very well are all nice too.

The one I don't get is ebony. People **** themselves over it, but to my hands it's really not that nice to play on. I tried an ebony fretboard on my Warmoth Tele and I've been constantly thinking for months about buying a new neck for it as the ebony is just horrible. And that's not cheap ebony either, it's decent quality.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by James13v
Where's my $100 b*tch?

Wow, never thought of that...

My acoustic has a rosewood board and I player a fender MIA strat the other day with maple ad they both sounded very differently. You really can tell the difference... Rosewood sounds more like an acoustic and maple apparently sounds more like a stratocaster, right?

/sarcasm
^This.

Though I do prefer rosewood. I like the feel of wood beneath my fingers rather than the feel of clear coat, which probably contributes to my love of satin finish necks.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
It's all a matter of personal preference. Both of my current guitars have rosewood, but the next guitar I am planning on getting has maple fretboard. I have played maple before and I haven't really noticed anything different. What seems more important to me is the neck width. The fretboard wood doesn't seem too noticable to me. I think maple is warmer and rosewood is brighter, but even that can be more heavily determined by your strings.
I always get all pepped up for Maple after I read a topic like this, but time and time again I head into the shop and try to find a wonderful maple board- and every time I have bought a guitar, I always end up with Rosewood (or Ebony).

I guess I like the way Rosewood warms up the sound- kind of like a tone knob curled to 7 or 8ish
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
Maple has always been my choice...its always seemed to be faster, brighter and have more clarity
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
I love my soloist's Ebony fretboard, but Rosewood always holds a special place in my heart. Maple seems to be a love it or leave it type of deal...

def. try out all the woods to see what you like the best.
http://www.youtube.com/user/RichManofAction

200,000 views and counting!

Quote by Perp8tualMotion
This man gets the big golden popcorn trophy which signifies an exceptionally accurate response.

Gear: Jackson SL2H, DX10DFS, Ibanez Prestige RG, Marshall JCM 2000 DSL
both maple and rosewood fingerboards will feel like crap on a cheap guitar. i love the way maple feels on my strat, but not anywhere as good as my rosewood f.b. gibsons, but much better than cheap maple fingerboard kramer. it's all in perspective; usually the more high end guitars have rosewood/ebony fingerboards and cheaper ones have maple (except for fenders, with which you always have a choice). i don't know many professional guitar players that prefer maple fingerboards.. van halen, paul gilbert has a couple, buddy guy, eric clapton, idk
It's all about feel
Quote by biga29
I like Ebony better, but between Rosewood and Maple... probably Rosewood.
What the pink guy said

Personally I think Maple fretboards look really ugly. They suit some guitars, but even then, rosewood looks better.

Rosewood suits pretty much every guitar on the market. Ebony and Maple less so, but personally I prefer Ebony over all of them (in case you didn't know, Ebony is black)

In terms of playability, I can't notice a difference
Quote by hopespaul
both maple and rosewood fingerboards will feel like crap on a cheap guitar. i love the way maple feels on my strat, but not anywhere as good as my rosewood f.b. gibsons, but much better than cheap maple fingerboard kramer. it's all in perspective; usually the more high end guitars have rosewood/ebony fingerboards and cheaper ones have maple (except for fenders, with which you always have a choice). i don't know many professional guitar players that prefer maple fingerboards.. van halen, paul gilbert has a couple, buddy guy, eric clapton, idk
Jonny Greenwood?
Quote by jonmo1

Apparently you didn't read the details of the bet.

2 IDENTICLE guitars, one with rosewood fretboard, the other with maple.

In your argument, there are many other things different between each guitar. So the difference cannot be definately attributed to the fretboard wood.

They're not that different, and regardless, there's still an easily noticeable difference between the feel of different board woods.

Quote by RoughDraft274
Wow, never thought of that...

My acoustic has a rosewood board and I player a fender MIA strat the other day with maple ad they both sounded very differently. You really can tell the difference... Rosewood sounds more like an acoustic and maple apparently sounds more like a stratocaster, right?

/sarcasm

How very unamusing. I was referring to the feel of the the board.
Jackson DK2M
Washburn WD-18SW
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9
Last edited by James13v at Sep 15, 2009,
Yeah i agree with what most people are saying, go and try them out for yourself. When i was shopping for a guitar i had the same little problem you are having (im pretty sure i actually posted a similar thread to this) so i went and tried some out. I tried out both, and both felt great and i could still play as good as normal on both but something just didnt feel right about the maple so i went with the rosewood. No regrets whatsoever. Just try out both and get what feels right.
Tip: Try closing your eyes and playing. Thats where you find out what feels good.
Quote by rabidguitarist
You have to wrap the fabric widthways around your body, and safetypin the top corners to your moustache.

Quote by m.f.k.r
Because coheed sounds like they had their balls kicked in through their ass and pulled out their mouth.
i like maple better because i like having a little bit brighter of an attack that it gives over rosewood. it looks better too in my opinion on certain guitars- strat in particular
I'll typically grab a maple fretboard if I've got a choice. If I'm stuck with rosewood I shop around until I find a guitar that has a really dark piece.

Ebony is a meh thing for me. It looks killer but doesn't feel all that amazing.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Last edited by ch0 at Nov 6, 2009,
Quote by guns_rosesldb
i like maple better because i like having a little bit brighter of an attack that it gives over rosewood. it looks better too in my opinion on certain guitars- strat in particular

Way to ressurect a thread, huh ?
i prefer the look of maple and the plability and feel of rosewood so i'll probably have a rosewood fingerboard on all my guitars even though i don't think it looks as good.

ebony's nice too, but doesn't have the feel of rosewood. it's almost too smooth for me, and maple is too rough when it's unfinished (my only maple fretboard guitar had an unfinished neck) and it's too solid with a clear coat over it. not a fan of thick clear coats on my guitar necks.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Page 1 of 2