Alright so I've got my Schecter Temptest Custom, and my squire Is there any reason for me to get the Mexican strat? I can get one for less than a hundred bucks on craigslist... I'm sure it would sound better in some instances and add some variety. What do you think?
My stuff Schecter C-1 Classic Trans Blue Schecter Tempest Custom w/ duncan distortion humbuckers
'91 Stratocaster, MIM....

Line Six Flextone II 60 watt amp
i think you're collecting sub par amps.

yes $100 for a mex strat is really good, if the guitar is in good shape. but unless you've got a good -intermediate amp, you're not going to notice any tone improvement.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Less than a hundred? In good shape? = Get it.

At the very least, if you don't like it or don't have a use for it,
turn around and sell it for 3 hundred.

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
Don't buy extra gear just because you can. Buy extra gear because you want to.
If you think that it would be a good deal, and you'd like it, and get it. If you don't think it'd be much of an upgrade or whatever, don't get it.

Personally, that's a great deal, but I wouldn't go for it because I don't like Fenders.
Just remember that MIMs only have 21 frets.
It's a bit of an annoyance with my Tele, but it's not a big deal. I can live with it.

But some may be a lot more picky.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
What do you say I buy it. Sell it on eBay (I already have an account and sell stuff) Take profit and buy a nice amp?
My stuff Schecter C-1 Classic Trans Blue Schecter Tempest Custom w/ duncan distortion humbuckers

I would get it if it's in good condition and then save up for an amp separately (and sell your bullet on craigslist). If you don't like the guitar however then go ahead and sell it and save up for an amp.

Also, alot of people around here tend to tell you that most of your tone comes from your amp, which is true, therefore you need to go out and buy an expensive amp right away while playing on your sub par guitar. Really, if you like the way our guitar plays then I'd agree with them. But, if you go the store, or if you try this mexi strat out and it plays much better and easier for you then that's more important then the amp, imo. It allows you to progress faster and to learn on a quality instrument.
if its in good condition yes get it
because you could probably make profit on that sale
GEAR
94 Fender Stratocaster Plus
02 Gibson Les Paul Special (modded)
Orange AD-30 Combo

The SG Thread pwns your thread.
people arent stupid.
(almost ) no one is going to sell a MEx fender in good condition for under a hundred.

it's (probably) either squier parts or has problems.

instead of building up an arsenal of sub par stuff, save for better gear.

if you really want another strat, then i guess you could buy it.
but know one can tell you for sure that you're going to be able to sell it for profit.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by RoughDraft274
I would get it if it's in good condition and then save up for an amp separately (and sell your bullet on craigslist). If you don't like the guitar however then go ahead and sell it and save up for an amp.

Also, alot of people around here tend to tell you that most of your tone comes from your amp, which is true, therefore you need to go out and buy an expensive amp right away while playing on your sub par guitar. Really, if you like the way our guitar plays then I'd agree with them. But, if you go the store, or if you try this mexi strat out and it plays much better and easier for you then that's more important then the amp, imo. It allows you to progress faster and to learn on a quality instrument.

I'm working on the amp deal too, I just haven't run into any good deals on one yet

Heck I love my Schecter more than almost anything! It's definitely the best I've ever played! I would just love to get a Stratocaster because I'm sure I'll be getting one eventually, Why not get the cheap one while I can rather than pay way more later?

How, though, do I make sure that it is a real mexican strat, what should I check for when I go look at it?

You can sell your Fender SP-10 on Craig's List for $25.

I did that. Sold in 3 days, some guy from Wisconsin came and bought it.
No one would sell a real Fender MIM Strat for less than $100.

It's probably a Fender "Squier" Strat.
Quote by jj1565
people arent stupid.
(almost ) no one is going to sell a MEx fender in good condition for under a hundred.

it's (probably) either squier parts or has problems.

instead of building up an arsenal of sub par stuff, save for better gear.

if you really want another strat, then i guess you could buy it.
but know one can tell you for sure that you're going to be able to sell it for profit.

Is a mexican strat really sub par?? I'm not super advanced or anything... But I was under the impression they're pretty good guitars

A mexi strat is a good guitar, but the rest of your gear is pretty bad stuff. Rather than having three amps and three guitars that aren't all that great, you could sell everything but the schecter or the strat and have a decent amp to go with it.

As has been said though, it's probably one of those annoying "Fender Squier Strat" deals.
Quote by colt34
Is a mexican strat really sub par?? I'm not super advanced or anything... But I was under the impression they're pretty good guitars

i like mine, but like said, i dont care what they're saying it is, it's under a hundred and you havent played it to verify that it's anything but sub par parts.

and yes, what i also meant is that you need to work harder on the amp situation.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
i like mine, but like said, i dont care what they're saying it is, it's under a hundred and you havent played it to verify that it's anything but sub par parts.

and yes, what i also meant is that you need to work harder on the amp situation.

I just called him, he verified that its a mexican made stratocaster. And as I'm meeting him in person I get to play before I buy. So can you all tell me what to look out for and listen for to make sure its not a squier parts one.

Also I am going to start listing things on thursday on eBay.

THANKS

well, you'll want to make sure that the headstock wasnt sanded, with a Fender inkjet placed and clear coated on.

make sure there are "f"s on the tuners.

that the serial number on the headstock, and the fender logo color and style, match the
year in the serial number.

if you get the serial number now, we could send you there prepared as in what it should look like.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

I think Mexican Strats are just as good as Americans, except the pickups. I've never really like Fender pickups anyway. So, yea, jump all over that one.
Axes;
Ibanez S Prestige (Bubinga Top)
ESP LTD MH-103
Ibanez GiO with DiMarzio D-Activator X's!
'96(ish) Fender Stratocaster

Amps;
Mesa Boogie Road King II
Fender '65 Reissue

Joe Satriani's Group

Stop the Pick Gnomes!
Quote by jj1565
well, you'll want to make sure that the headstock wasnt sanded, with a Fender inkjet placed and clear coated on.

make sure there are "f"s on the tuners.

that the serial number on the headstock, and the fender logo color and style, match the
year in the serial number.

if you get the serial number now, we could send you there prepared as in what it should look like.

I got the guitar! It's in pretty good shape! few dings and scratches but I expected that (the thing was only $100!) The serial number is 006240, The headstock looks genuine. And most importantly its got good sound! Came with a hard case, final price $100!
Attachments:
!1111111111AAA.jpg

Last edited by colt34 at Sep 23, 2009,
Even if it is a knockoff, that's a good price if you really like it that much.
Axes;
Ibanez S Prestige (Bubinga Top)
ESP LTD MH-103
Ibanez GiO with DiMarzio D-Activator X's!
'96(ish) Fender Stratocaster

Amps;
Mesa Boogie Road King II
Fender '65 Reissue

Joe Satriani's Group

Stop the Pick Gnomes!
I'd say upgrade the pickups with some nice ones (Kleinpickups have some that sound exactly like the Big Dippers found in the John Mayer sig, same with an EJ set that sound just like the ones in the EJ sig.) For $175, put those in. If you want to sell the guitar later down the road, the pickup change might land you some more money.
Quote by colt34
I got the guitar! It's in pretty good shape! few dings and scratches but I expected that (the thing was only $100!) The serial number is 006240, The headstock looks genuine. And most importantly its got good sound! Came with a hard case, final price $100!

cool, if it plays well, and you're happy then it's great.

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62