I randomly decided the other night that I would like to learn to play the violin. I would rather not take lessons seeing as I'm already about to begin piano lessons and can't really fit anything else into my schedule. Do you all think it would be possible for me to learn violin relatively easily by teaching myself/without lessons?

To provide a bit of background information (whether all of this is relevant, I have no clue, but you get the idea):
-I can read music very well and have been doing so for 9 years
-I play both guitar and saxophone decently
-I know a good amount of theory

tl;dr: Is it hard to teach yourself violin?
Quote by RU Experienced?
Well, unless you're playing guitar by thrashing your dick around the strings I see no application of guitar technique to sex.

My band, Two Days In February
I say go for it, if you understand music, apply it to this instrument, just learn basic technique and practice.
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
I had a good understanding of music theory and could read music easily before I started the violin, but I had to have lessons... It just makes it easier. Though you could try teaching yourself and see how it goes. From what I remember of it (I was only young) the violin was fairly easy to play, but damn hard to play well.
Ehh... Looking back, I wish I had carried on with it, may have been better on bass now if I had
Anyhoo, good luck with it!
Get a soundproof box to start practicing in.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
I tried learning violin by myself and found it really difficult, its not so much about knowing theory its learning the techniques involved in playing the fiddle which are very different from guitar, but by all means give it a go, you can always get lessons when you start getting better at piano and need to spend less time on it.
Originally Posted by Chromeproguitar
they make horrible noises in the middle of the night (is it sex?)

Quote by CliffIsAngry
I guess she's pretty hot if you're into that "having a good music video, but not better than Beyonce's" kind of thing...
do you have neighbours?
RIP Bernie Mac
RIP Michael Jackson

FUCK YOU DIME!

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
Get 'Cliff is Angry. So so angry' on your ass.

Edit: Then take pictures and send me them.

Genetically engineered and raised by wolverines DAVE MUSTAINE...
Quote by CliffIsAngry
do you have neighbours?

Yea. However, the room I do all of my practicing in is decently soundproofed.
Quote by RU Experienced?
Well, unless you're playing guitar by thrashing your dick around the strings I see no application of guitar technique to sex.

You may want to consider starting with the mandolin.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by Jackal58

Do you say that just because their tunings are the same or...?
Quote by RU Experienced?

I would say get some lessons, at least to start with. There are quite a lot of bowing techniques for example which I would think would be hard to get down by learning from a book or whatever.
Up The Boro!
Quote by ASITHOS
I randomly decided the other night that I would like to learn to play the violin. I would rather not take lessons seeing as I'm already about to begin piano lessons and can't really fit anything else into my schedule. Do you all think it would be possible for me to learn violin relatively easily by teaching myself/without lessons?

To provide a bit of background information (whether all of this is relevant, I have no clue, but you get the idea):
-I can read music very well and have been doing so for 9 years
-I play both guitar and saxophone decently
-I know a good amount of theory

tl;dr: Is it hard to teach yourself violin?

From a kid who's currently attending a music school and has a lot of string-playing friends, I just have to let you know it's a long process, especially by yourself. It typically takes violinists/cellists at least 2 or 3 years to get any good, just due to learning tone. Just from knowing people, I could pick up a cello and play a little tune, but even if I hit every note right on the dot, it would still sound like ****. Violin is all about technique (unlike guitar ), and it takes quite some time to shape your tone into a good sound. Hopefully you'll be able to find some online lessons or some good books, because it can be quite tricky when someone isn't teaching you. String players have the highest drop-out rate of people who just up and quit after a few months (not in college, just in general life). It's a tough art. Good luck.
They say the old woman's got the wisdom
'Cause she couldn't read the clock anymore
She said "The numbers don't represent the moments"
Says she don't see what all the ticking's for
Quote by Jackal58

This isn't very good advice
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
If you can't fit in one lesson a week, then you probably don't have time to learn violin well. Having a 1/2 hour lesson once a week will save you more time than not having one will due to the much slower progress.

Violin isn't easy with a teacher because it involves so much technique, so teaching yourself could work for a while but you will probably pick up a lot of bad habbits that will hinder your progress and probably stop you from getting good.

Violin has a lot more techinque that has to be learnt than guitar does so it makes it a lot harder to learn on you own, so I would recommend lessons.

Edit:
^Your right, that is pretty bad advice. The mandolin requires similar techinique to guitar which is totally different to that needed to play violin.
Last edited by 12345abcd3 at Sep 14, 2009,
Depends on what style. If you want to do folk/country it's not that hard. Do everyone and yourself a favor and don't learn classical by yourself.

Quote by Jackal58

Aside from tuning, mandolin has no physical similarities with the violin.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Sep 14, 2009,
I taught myself all of my instruments but I found violin very difficult
you should pick up violin for dummies (seriously)
Quote by ASITHOS
Do you say that just because their tunings are the same or...?

NO. I said it because it will get you atune to finger positioning on the neck.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by Jackal58

No.

Compared with guitar, Id say violin is a lot harder. As it is fretless, intonation by far the hardest thing to get down. It took me a couple of years to get every note in tune, and longer to get a good tone. Also scales are al ot harder as it isn't simply a case of moving a few shapes about.

Its very rewarding though, so I'd go for it I would recommend getting a good teacher though, at least for the first few months to get your basic technique down. If possible join an orchestra.

Ask me for any more advice.