Hi!

I just moved six hours away from home. Almost all my friends at home are musicians, but I was always so intimidated by them since I didn't have the experience with writing. Now that I am away from them a bit, I want to take this chance to get better and maybe have something to show them/more confidence so I can collaborate with them on a project or something.

I've never written a song before but I want to start writing. I have some ideas I brainstormed through a freewrite sesh so I have a lot of random phrases and things that I could maybe take somewhere but I really don't know where to start.

Yes I understand the basic format of a song, verses chorus bridge etc, but I am looking for some help with putting it all together (creating a piece out of the words and my thoughts instead of just jumble, adding a melody and chords and vocal patterns etc).

If anyone would like to email me (or post in this thread, that would work as well) I am just looking for guidance from experienced writers (or not) so that maybe I can make up a song. Be my mentor!
Oh darn, I think this is in the wrong forum. Help me out anyway please?

Music is something I am really passionate about and I just want to learn how to make it my own. I don't know where to start and am looking for perhaps some inspiration, motivation, direction.
check out the musicians talk forum. You'll probably find some better help there. Personally, I usually start with the music anyways. I'm kinda late for work though so if you want PM me and i'll get back to you later.
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
^Musicial talk is good for the "musical" part of songwriting.

If your issue is more with words, take a look at the "Lyrics Tip Thread" in the Songwriting and Lyrics Techniques sub-forum.

it's awfully complete. It really does help a lot. If you still have questions, don't hesitate to post em in the techniques sub-forum! Good luck man.