sup peoples at the metal forum? anywayz i was talkin to this guy, and he said that there were no truly talented guitarists in metal. he said that they were all just generic. he also said that he had no respect for yngwie malmsteen, muhammed suicmez, dimebag, alexi laiho, and chuck schuldiner because "every metal guitarist is the same" i'll admit that a lot of modern metal guitarists do suck (in the grindcore/metalcore genre of course) but really, some are quite good (such as those i mentioned) who agrees with my thoughts on this? or who thinks that they never can compare to the greats of the 60's 70's and 80's?

*edit* i mean NOISECORE sorry, grindcore rulz! (cattle decaptiation, pig destroyer, carcass, gorguts, heck yes!)
Last edited by random-emo-kill at Sep 14, 2009,
Quote by random-emo-kill
sup peoples at the metal forum? anywayz i was talkin to this guy, and he said that there were no truly talented guitarists in metal. he said that they were all just generic. he also said that he had no respect for yngwie malmsteen, muhammed suicmez, dimebag, alexi laiho, and chuck schuldiner because "every metal guitarist is the same" i'll admit that a lot of modern metal guitarists do suck (in the grindcore/metalcore genre of course) but really, some are quite good (such as those i mentioned) who agrees with my thoughts on this? or who thinks that they never can compare to the greats of the 60's 70's and 80's?

Do you know what grindcore is?

Anyway, 90% of metal guitarists are bland and repetitive, no matter how quickly they can sweep.

PS: You haven't picked the best list of people who would change his disrespect.
Last edited by webbtje at Sep 14, 2009,
Mikael Akerfeldt is one.

He has written everything Opeth has doned (since 1998) except for a small part on one song.

Sure, he writing on Watershed was a little "boring", but Heir Apparent was good nonetheless.
There will be zero tolerance
For the creator of hallowed intentions
There will be zero tolerance
Fate is your deciding God
Last edited by DragTheWaters11 at Sep 14, 2009,
The only real thing metal has going for it in guitarists is speed.
Most don't really know any theory whatsoever.

Mikael Akerfeldt is one.
Last edited by Majin Gaara at Sep 14, 2009,
Truth be told, there's ton's and i'm not willing to list any

^metalcore goes in the hardcore forum
Quote by severed-metal
Come to think of it, my penis should've listened to more death metal.

Quote by Morphogenesis26
So my question is. Can Pre-Cum fluid pass through my underwear, my jeans, onto and through her jeans, through her underwear, and impregnate her?
I would say this is a very judgmental topic. If he thinks all Metal guitarists are repetitive, he clearly has issues against the genre. Some music can be repetitive, but bashing down the entire genre makes no sense.

This would count the same towards people who bash on all country and say it's a bunch of open chords, or against techno, etc... I think it's best if someone gets inspiration from as many genres as possible, and learn to use/accommodate it in his favorite. There would be no point to stick to one genre and be its slave (unless a person is having some kind of psychological troubles, in which case, it would be considered more of a psychological defensive mechanism). It's always better to diversify one's "Collective".
Quote by Majin Gaara
The only real thing metal has going for it in guitarists is speed.
Most don't really know any theory whatsoever.

thats a joke right? compared to the majority of punk/pop punk metal guitarists know as much theory as bach

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Metal has the best guitarists of all time, I mean, look at Kermit the Hammet, and of course James Hetfield

All guitarists really need to know are the basics, Speed, Control, and Metallica
Quote by metallicafan616
thats a joke right? compared to the majority of punk/pop punk metal guitarists know as much theory as bach

Most metal riffs are based on this.

A-2-
E-0-

Arguable.

Quote by severed-metal

All guitarists really need to know are the basics, Speed, Control, and Metallica

And SLAYAAAAAA
There's a lot of metal guitarrist that just play fast and most of the times the same scales/arppeggios

I was thinking, maybe (i said MAYBE) they can't show their full potential in their bands. I've seen this happening but i don't know, i wouldn't stay in a band that i can't play the way i like, but some people do this.
Laura: Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Sam: Samick Stratocaster Copy (first guitar)
----
Marshall MG250DFX
----
Boss SD-1
Onerr Super Distortion
Quote by severed-metal
Metal has the best guitarists of all time, I mean, look at Kermit the Hammet, and of course James Hetfield

i thought you meant speed and metallica are part of the basics at first read.

EDIT: webb, do you mean based on punk or theory/lack of? don't quite get what you meant there sorry.

Last edited by metallicafan616 at Sep 14, 2009,
Quote by metallicafan616
i thought you meant speed and metallica are part of the basics at first read.

EDIT: webb, do you mean based on punk or theory/lack of? don't quite get what you meant there sorry.

I mean that 90% of metal bands rely on a palm-muted lowest string for 3/4 of their riffs. That doesn't take a massive amount of theory.
No, Webb's right. All metal is based around the low E string for guitarists. You don't even need the rest of the strings, they're all just useless, melt them down and make something useful...like a wire sculpture of Metallca

P.S. SSSSSSSLLLLLLLLLLAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRR
Quote by webbtje
I mean that 90% of metal bands rely on a palm-muted lowest string for 3/4 of their riffs. That doesn't take a massive amount of theory.

ah right, yeh that probably is true. Although, i wouldn't necessarily say that its good metal

Dimebag played the same boring solo for every single song.

Also, TS needs to learn what grind is.
Quote by ChemicalFire
He was too stunned by my fresh truths.

Quote by GodofCheesecake
"And I would've gotten away with it too, if it weren't for you darn kids and your meddling and your breakadowns!"

Quote by Nakedbythecomp
Metal is a sub-genre of metalcore since metalcore is more popular therefore better.
Introduce your friend/person/whatever to Devin Townsend. That is all.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by ComradSputnik

these guys really inspire me

yeah you gotta admit, these guys dont have very generic guitarists. now bow to MASTODON
Uhm, Chris Broderick anybody?

Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Introduce your friend/person/whatever to Devin Townsend. That is all.

This.
Quote by Bodom_Shredder7
i hate you mer der. i hope you get a boner and accidently fall on it.

Quote by rocknrollstar
Excuse my stupidity , but what is a urethra ?

Im guessing anus.
You'll probably never convince this guy no matter how many examples of "good" metal guitarists you give him. Those kind of people are like liberals: they just pick some phrase and repeat it over and over until people stop trying to argue with them because its pointless. But if you're really looking for bands/guitarists to prove him wrong I would have him listen to Mastodon's new album Crack the Skye.
Quote by Dr. Koolaide
You'll probably never convince this guy no matter how many examples of "good" metal guitarists you give him. Those kind of people are like liberals: they just pick some phrase and repeat it over and over until people stop trying to argue with them because its pointless. But if you're really looking for bands/guitarists to prove him wrong I would have him listen to Mastodon's new album Crack the Skye.

Particularly when we use ones that are true, like 'most conservatives are a bunch of drooling morons'.

TS, just show him some Gorguts already.
Last edited by webbtje at Sep 14, 2009,
Quote by Dr. Koolaide

And that has what exactly to do with the conversation at hand?
Quote by ChemicalFire
He was too stunned by my fresh truths.

Quote by GodofCheesecake
"And I would've gotten away with it too, if it weren't for you darn kids and your meddling and your breakadowns!"

Quote by Nakedbythecomp
Metal is a sub-genre of metalcore since metalcore is more popular therefore better.
What about James Murphy? He is one of metal's most talented guitarists
Quote by severed-metal
These don't sound like very good ambitions when driving...Judas Priest makes people want to go 200 mph, and Realm of Chaos is now an album for ramming shit. You are dangerous, dangerous people.

last.fm
Quote by webbtje

Ever heard of thrash metal...
show your friend Jon Levasseur and Luc Lemay.

although he'll probably cry and say "Luc Lemay isn't playing real music!"
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus