Whenever I play a solo and get to a tapping section, I can never get enough volume out of the tapping. Like it goes really quiet, I'm not dampening the strings with my hand or anything but I'm wondering whats wrong? I'm just running a guitar into a amp so no effects or aynthing or should I get a distortion pedal or something and that might help it come through clearer?
You could get a pedal of some kind or you could turn your guitar volume up a little, like have the guitar volume on 8 and then turn it up to 10 for the tapping, the problem with this is that when you turn the volume down it goes a little cleaner so you may wanna turn your gain up a bit beforehand.
Gibson SG Standard, Gibson SG 60s tribute, Edwards Les Paul, Fender Telecaster, Epiphone SG Custom
for the section tread on an OD pedal that's got the volume cranked. Do that and be more forceful in your tapping.
Quote by necrosis1193
Somewhere in a concert hall in Sweden, you have just caused Yngwie Malmsteen physical pain. You also caused him to catch on fire.

Quote by frusciante.ve
I like that new song of theirs that goes all "peeeeeaaaas wiiiill comeeeeee toooo meeeee"

Just because you Seymour Duncan, doesn't mean you Seymour Dunshould
Well I played earlier with guitar volume on 10 and amp gain on 10 and tried amp abit louder but if someone knew a overdrive pedal could help then I will save up and buy one.
are you tapping correctly...my taps are very loud and i use no pedals or effects.

when you tap make sure the first note you tap you pull off to the side so it picks it again.
Guitars:

1998 Squier Affinity Stratocaster

Amps:

Peavey Valve king 112

Money is just paper, but it affects people like poetry.
Quote by Stuart90
I'm just running a guitar into a amp so no effects or aynthing or should I get a distortion pedal or something and that might help it come through clearer?

No, you don't need anything. It's you. Develop some finger strength...you can do this by PRACTICING.
Quote by Junior#1
Gilbert mutes with both hands. Palm muting and left hand muting. As for anchoring, he doesn't. He doesn't need to. After all, he's the creator of life, the universe, and everything.
Quote by penguinbuddy
you don't need a pedal to tap. you can tap on an acoustic.

I was just on about giving it a boost is all but I suppose I will have to go the hard way and put even more hours of practise into it lol
Quote by Stuart90
I was just on about giving it a boost is all but I suppose I will have to go the hard way and put even more hours of practise into it lol

What you really need to do to get more volume out of your taps is to tap and pull-off HARD. Listen to Spanish Fly by Van Halen and you'll hear some of the clearest taps you've ever heard. The key to that is to really give you're right hand pull-off A LOT of strength.
Quote by plainsight
No, you don't need anything. It's you. Develop some finger strength...you can do this by PRACTICING.

^
Tap harder
distortion would help. or tap with the edge of a pick. it makes the tapped note much clearer, in my opinion.
Like punk the way it used to be? Deranged Youth Its like what Warped Tour should be!

Want to hear something mind-blowing? Pit O' Bodies Its like an amateur hypnotist plus the Spanish Inquisition!
You aren't tapping right...I think.

You hammer your tapping finger on hard then you release it and kinda push it SIDEWAYS not upwards.

I don't know how much more to explain it. I've had that same problem before too until I was studying guitarists do it then I thought. Why didn't I think of that?

Edit:
Go into your room and pick up your guitar and try it.
If you already know just practice it and you'll get good at it...eventually.
Turtles R awesome. dont agree? YOU GO TO HELL, YOU GO TO HELL AND YOU DIE!

PSN: Purple-munky

Gear...
Ion - acoustic guitar.
Cort KX1Q - i smashed it
Fender Super Champ XD 15w
Stagg G-310 - i smashed it.
Last edited by vinnie-watt5 at Sep 14, 2009,
Quote by pitobodies
distortion would help. or tap with the edge of a pick. it makes the tapped note much clearer, in my opinion.

Yeh, if you're having trouble using your fingers, use your pick. Personally I find tapping with a pick awkward, but whatever works for you.
Gibson SG Diablo . Fender Cali Series Strat . Modded Epi Firebird . Seagull 25th Anniv. CW
Korg Pitchblack > Vox V847 >
Big Muff π TW >
Boss OC-3 > Memory Boy
Vox AD50VT
Ive seen this forum for a long time and it had me wondering, what could be the problem. Im not an expert, far from it, so take what I say with a pinch of salt, but from playing a lot live ive realized tapping bits compared to notes played with a pick are going to sound dim or soft. Its normal, every one experiences that. What you need to do is cater for that by picking the volume up at the part were you start tapping. I think one of the other guys in the forum mentioned this above, think it was hardrockerdave9. Sooner or later when gigging out you will need to get a pedal bank. Set two identical tones next to each other on your bank, but make the second one is louder, test it first of course. Then when the tap part comes just change with your foot.

Thats what I would do...

Of course it could be your finger strength and technique. What vinnie-watt5 said about pulling off is very important. Technique has to be sound, lol, no pun intended. I don't think theres any thing wrong with your finger strength, tapping on electric requires a low action, soft graceful touch, control and skill. Make sure the action is low, helps with feel and sound. Well if it is your finger strength then play around with string gauges, different gauges will give you different volumes when hit them, but then thats going to upset your guitars neck, so if you don't have a expert guitar technician ready and waiting to do a truss rod adjustment, then i suggest changing gauge be the last thing you do.

Cheers...
Thanks mate, well I have a Peavey and it has a Floyd Bend down only bridge but I know someone who can change gauges for me if need be. Well, I would say its my technique if anything but sooner or later a pedal could be useful so I will buy one eventually. I broke a string anyway and getting them changed but soon as I get it back I'am just gonna work on technique for now and try to get a nice flowing tap with my finger then worry about how hard I hit it.
Pleasure. The instrument you play must not be underestimated when learning complex techniques such as shredding and tapping. The guitar is not called a "machine" for nothing. It must be set up perfectly, or it can cause you to learn bad habits. A well versed instrument will be of benefit to you. In order to do what you want on a guitar, you must have your action, pick ups, and neck set, and even the finest of things like the string gauge, and pick gauge matter, speed playing requires this. So get your friend to have a look at the axe. Make sure its in good working condition to be able to speed tap on in the first place. Then practice, practice and don't stop practicing, over and over and over and soon you'l be doing stuff you never expected.

Was watching a you tube clip with Steve Vai and he said, when he started off other guitarists could do everything he could do, in other words there wasn't much difference in the knowledge level between himself and other players. He didn't think much of himself. Then he went on to say that what he didn't realize was that he was doing this stuff 15 hours a day...

Now thats crazy. It took Steve 15 hours of practice a day to be were he is........
Just wish I had that much time to practice, guess it boils down to making decisions and having the courage to go for your dreams........

Cheers...
Saw a Peavey at my friends place the other week, amazing guitar. It was really expensive. Just do yourself a favor and make sure the person who sets your guitar up knows exactly what hes doing, I cant emphasize more how important that is. Adjusting the truss rod is one of the most dangerous set ups a technician can do. For a beginner its too risky.....please don't let some who has never done a neck adjustment even touch your guitar.... Go to a professional set up guy.... it might cost a bit, but it will be worth it.

If the truss rod breaks, its over, the whole fretboard will need to be stripped. Thats the end of the guitar, because fixing that will cost more than buying a new one. So if you even treasure your axe just a little bit (all guitarists have a soft spot for their guitars)....if and when you change string gauge..... go to a professional.

Cheers...
I always tap with my pick, it makes it as loud as picking the notes normally and it's easier.
Quote by AlanHB
Yeah well in special UG land chords = noob, scales = intermediate and modes = advanced. Most users are trying to finish the game on hard because then you get the trophies for noob and intermediate difficulties upon completion anyway.
Its a Peavey Wolfgang, I'm not really a fan of Van Halen but its a guitar that felt really comfortable and such. Its helped me alot with learning my first set of solos and that. Love the maple neck, brought it second hand and the fine tuners and bar seem to be well used so I'am still needing to replace those when I can buy a pair of ebay. My friend who works in the shop does guitars for all the local bands around here and its about £60 a time and if theres something he can't do, he normally rings someone to come around and do it. Which dosen't cost me anything more but I know he will look after them.
If I wanted to I could practise for like 7 to 9 hours a day but I always get called to do something so its normally around 4 hours a day haha
Thinking about it now, I don't think I flick off with my finger when tapping but will have to wait to get guitar back now I suppose haha