OK, I've been given a homework assignment for English Lit, I need to research fertility rites and symbolism in literature, and can't find anything on the Internet that is relevant at all, tried using Google and a few sites that I normally use and have found nothing.
Anyone know anything about this? Can anyone point me to a relevant website? I know it's vague but this is all is was told
Use Vonnegut for symbolism.

My favorite author (:
I will stand by all this drinking if it helps me through these days,
It takes a long time just to get this all straight.
What course/module you on? Search that online and you should find something.

Started AS today, they gave me a list of about 50 pounds worth of Books to buy
I'm doing English Lit at Uni.

And I have no idea what you are on about. My future isn't a bright one.
im in Intro to Lit
✠I use emotion for the many and reserve reason for the few
✠Adolf Hitler✠
I study english lit. Symbolism is just any technique that an author may use to represent something via some kinda of symbol or symbolic importance given to it. So things like metaphors...similes etc. For example, an author could use the setting of a really sunny day in order to symbolise a certain character's feelings that day: the sun is often used as a positive symbol, maybe to show that character is feeling good that day (this is pathetic fallacy, using surroundings as symbolism). There is symbolism everywhere, there will be some in most literature you study for high school most likely..just really anywhere the text uses something to represent something else.
Quote by Bestykid
What course/module you on? Search that online and you should find something.

Started AS today, they gave me a list of about 50 pounds worth of Books to buy

Wait till uni. My book list went in to the triple figures last year
Quote by Bleak02
I study english lit. Symbolism is just any technique that an author may use to represent something via some kinda of symbol or symbolic importance given to it. So things like metaphors...similes etc. For example, an author could use the setting of a really sunny day in order to symbolise a certain character's feelings that day: the sun is often used as a positive symbol, maybe to show that character is feeling good that day (this is pathetic fallacy, using surroundings as symbolism). There is symbolism everywhere, there will be some in most literature you study for high school most likely..just really anywhere the text uses something to represent something else.

Well yeah, I know what symbolism is
I just need some related to fertility in literature...
Read the Bible.

I'm not joking.

Hundreds of authors pull references (which include symbolisms) from it and occasionally satire it.

Some examples: Shakespeare, Twain, Dickens, Huxley, Orwell, Vonnegut, Kafka, Dostoevsky etc.

Plus the idea of fertility basically came from it.
Are you serious that you've scoured the net for information on fertility rites and found nothing?

SERIOUS?

Either you're:

a) Retarded
b) Asking us because you CBF
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to
Quote by SilentHeaven109
Well yeah, I know what symbolism is
I just need some related to fertility in literature...

Look at TS Eliot's 'The Waste Land', lots of fertility symbolism in there. Start with the first part 'The Burial of the Dead,' especially this passage:

'You gave me hyacinths first a year ago;
They called me the hyacinth girl.'
-Yet when we came back late from the hyacinth garden,
Your arms full, and your hair wet, I could not
Speak, and my eyes failed, and I was neither
Living nor dead, and I knew nothing,
Looking into the heart of light, the silence.
Oed' und leer das Meer.

Also Eliot pissing about with fertility imagery, claiming to be influenced by 'The Golden Bough.'
Ceci n'est pas une signature
Quote by Hendrix_fan_14
Plus the idea of fertility basically came from it.

Huh?

From the Bible?

The 'idea' of fertility?
Evolution 101

Get down Moses - part another sea,
Carve another tablet out of L.S.D.
what about Greek mythology?

lots of fertility allusions there.
Quote by icaneatcatfood
On second thought, **** tuning forks. You best be carrying around a grand piano that was tuned by an Italian
Quote by Child In Time
Plath

I was going to question this until I remembered her early nature poems, her obsession with dryads etc.

Good call
Ceci n'est pas une signature
Spring is used a lot in literature - anything going on in spring, with all the new life around; the character is garunteed to get some
Quote by Kensai
I'd light pigs on fire and send them at him. That'll show him who's the boss.

Quote by neopowell
If I could give myself head I'd never go out. What makes that even more tragic is I'm not out right now...but I still can't give myself head. It's not fair.
Quote by Laces Out Danny
what about Greek mythology?

lots of fertility allusions there.

Greek mythology isn't English literature.
Evolution 101

Get down Moses - part another sea,
Carve another tablet out of L.S.D.
Plenty of Chaucer material is fairly bawdy.

'The Miller's Tale' and 'The Merchant's Tale' have plenty of allusions to fertility; effectively symbolising how succumbing to temptation (or jealousy) can be detrimental to someone.
Yes, I use a Squier bass.

Quote by ccam555
0/10.

- Looking to improve this somewhat.