I've been looking into playing guitar with a violin bow. I've seen Jimmy Page play with this unusual technique with both Led Zeppelin and the Yardbirds, the classic example is the famous bow solo in Dazed and Confused:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAa8k-aqqqs

I've heard there are other gutiarists who have played like this, but I don't know much about them...

I just want to know if anyone knows anything about what size of violin bow you should use, what techniques you can use for playing guitar riffs, chords etc, also whether it's bad for your strings or your violin bow. I can't seem to find much on this on the internet, but if you have experience or knowledge of any kind to share, please do, thanks.
Use the longest bow you can find.

Generally you'll be playing chords, but if you're careful, and mute the other strings well, you can play single notes as well.

I've heard it's bad for the violin bow, but I"m not sure on that. You'll probably get some resin scraped off the bow and on the guitar or floor you're playing on.
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
Buy an E-bow.
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
I've seen a video where Page appears to be using the wooden side of the bow - it sounds ok, would you need rosin for that or would it be ok?

Is there a vast quality difference in violin bows or is each one like another? I know nothing of violins, so I wouldn't know...?
Last edited by Eurozeppelin at Sep 14, 2009,
Yes, bad for violin bow and prob not so good for strings. Might even want to consider using a cello bow as a violins bow is pretty small.

Also, have to raise the action so you can actually use the bow without hitting the guitar everytime.

Just curious......why do you even want to use a bow? Its a guitar not a violin. Not really meant for that kind of thing.
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
It's just a bit of fun really, something to try. Page is my favourite guitarist, and I'm influenced by alot of his performances.

A chello bow? Yeah, I suppose I could look into that. Thanks for the advice...

Oh, and another reason I want a bow is to be able to play the bow solo in Dazed and Confused, I'm trying to learn the whole song
There's no "correct way" to play with a violin bow. It's not meant to be a real technique by most people, and doesn't honestly sound the best. The only point of it really is to look cool.
Quote by Oosh.
Buy an E-bow.

This. I've always thought they were really cool, expensive for what they are though, considering you're hardly going to be using it that often.
Gibson SG Diablo . Fender Cali Series Strat . Modded Epi Firebird . Seagull 25th Anniv. CW
Korg Pitchblack > Vox V847 >
Big Muff π TW >
Boss OC-3 > Memory Boy
Vox AD50VT
yeah it does wreck the hair on the bows, I read that Page would take quite a few on tour because of this
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Screw bows, the cool thing is to use the violin itself!
Quote by Evil_Magician
Get the pink one.

Perforation of women guaranteed.