Hi UG,
Bought a guitar on eBay, and it's time for the seller to ship it to me.
He suggested that he would detune for the journey, and I replied saying that this could warp the neck if the tension is taken off. He then replied that he wanted it this way because he wasn't sure about how the Floyd Rose would react to the fluctation temperatures on board the aircraft, and suggested that the string blocks could expand and contract.
Which should I choose?
It's a UK to UK delivery.
Thanks guys!
Above post may or may not be true.
I would tell him to keep the guitar in tune... If it is UK to UK delivery it shouldn't take long so it won't probably happen nothing bad to the guitar.
Even God has a Hell, his love for Humanity.
by Friedrich Nietzsche

Call me Edge
Whenever shipping a guitar travels in an aircraft, it should be detuned. The lack of pressure in the cargo hold can cause neck warping due to the temp if the strings are not detuned. I read it somewhere : )
Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
yeah was weird cause she liked us both but she loved him and for some reason she let me know beforehand.

i just wanted her poon and she wanted me to have her poon.

so i had myself some poon.
Yeah, it's common practice to detune guitars when shipping via air-cargo
Gear:
Yamaha Pacifica 112VCX - Vintage white w/ red tort pickguard
Blackheart Handsome Devil
Vox DA5 Classic
Valencia C-60 Classical
Yeah, but it's also widespread that these are all myths. I'm just not sure which to go for.
Thanks Guys
Quote by kurney
Yeah, but it's also widespread that these are all myths. I'm just not sure which to go for.
Thanks Guys

I always say better safe than sorry. Less tension = safer. Detune it.

Though, I don't think any damage will occur either way, but why not be safe...

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
Yes but, I have no idea which is the safest!
The neck is designed to hold that tension, so if you release it the plane could just mess it up even more than usual.
Or the plane could mess it up with the tension on more, so I have no idea.
That one is a myth...

Removing the string tension will NOT hurt anything..

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
I'd say half a step down would be fine. Make sure he bubble wraps the guitar in the case so it doesn't shift at all in transit. That would be worse than not loosening the strings.
Schecter Loomis
LTD Horizon
Ibanez RGA121
Marshall DSL100
Peavey 5150

Quote by emagdnimasisiht
haha
This is the funniest thing i've ever read on UG.
lespaulrocks39, you sir are awesome.
I discussed this with several people who ship guitars. I wouldn't worry about the Floyd but it is always a good idea to take the tension off the neck by detuning the strings when shipping a guitar. If a guitar get banged around in shipping it's possible for the neck or headstock to crack easier or even break. I just actually experienced a problem with a guitar in shipping. It had a slight crack in the neck that actually was made much worse because they didn't take the tension off the strings. Most people who ship guitar know what to do. Mine all seem to come with plenty of padding and double boxed.

Don't worry about tension on the strings/neck. I have guitars that lay around for months with no strings, necks in boxes and not one ever got ruined.

John
Last edited by johnro6659 at Sep 14, 2009,
just take the strings off as a whole and ask him to protect the floyd rose with some packaging material also make sure the neck is nicely cushioned
Gear:
-Epiphone les paul special II
-Peavey Valveking 112