Well I ordered a pre-wired pickguard, but it threw me a little surprise. It looks like it's good, but I have one question. The wires that you would solder to the jack, have always been 2 wires, a gray and a white, but on this there is two black wires and a red one. Halp plz. I can get pics if needed.
need more info. pics: yes.

what kind of pickups are in there?
did it happen to come with a wiring diagram?
if not, could you possibly make one?
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
I'd be willing to bet that the bare wire is ground, but I couldn't say for the other two, unless the pickups are actives and one goes to the battery.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
my current theory is that red is hot, one black is the jack ground, the other black is the bridge ground.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Quote by james4
is it possible that one is a ground wire, that should be soldered to the bridge?

a few good pictures would be helpful

I thought that could be possible, I'm uploading the pics now.

And to the other guy, it's a H/S/S set up, I can't make a diagram, and it didn't come with one =/.
Where did you order it from?

Quote by james4
is it possible that one is a ground wire, that should be soldered to the bridge?

a few good pictures would be helpful

This.

The red is the hot wire, the black wires are ground. One of them goes to the jack, the other goes to the bridge; it doesn't matter which.
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by handbanana
wiliscool is just plain dumb
Quote by AngusJimiKeith
my current theory is that red is hot, one black is the jack ground, the other black is the bridge ground.

If that were the case, does it matter which black I put where?

EDIT: ^^ Cheers dude, man, UG is the best fuckin' site ever.
Quote by wiliscool
This.

The red is the hot wire, the black wires are ground. One of them goes to the jack, the other goes to the bridge; it doesn't matter which.

this.

I would've said that, but I read "two red wires and a black", which would make less sense

..so yeah, hot (red), bridge ground(black), and output ground (other black)

edit: damn, gb&c is moving fast today.. dumb work computers cant keep up D:
Quote by sglover34479
If that were the case, does it matter which black I put where?

EDIT: ^^ Cheers dude, man, UG is the best fuckin' site ever.

that it is...
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
This may actually be the fastest I;ve seen us come up with an answer.

cause we didnt get off topic, and we didnt just say "wiring thread n00b!". without jim no one enforces that, so what the hell, just answer

okay, what i meant is that jim usually deals with what happens with the wiring stuff. i didnt mean that we should abandon the thread, nor did i mean there should be lawlessness in here. i simply decided that i would answer the question rather than my standard "wiring thread" response. if you would like to check me on that, ive only been warned once, and that was more or less sheer adrenaline and anger, i dont think ive ever purposely broke the rules for the sake of complete anarchy. also, i felt that this question was NOT simply covered in the wiring thread, it was more specific than that. im gonna stop typing now, cause i do have to go, and i dont like ranting often.

/said rant.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
Last edited by AngusJimiKeith at Sep 14, 2009,
Quote by AngusJimiKeith
cause we didnt get off topic, and we didnt just say "wiring thread n00b!". without jim no one enforces that, so what the hell, just answer

I'm really a bit of a n00b as far as modding goes, this is my first, but I love the idea of it, and this forum has taught me most of what I know, I've lurked and helped when possible for damn near a year now! But I have another question, how it was wired when I got it is, the ground and hot when to the jack, and then from the grounded part of the jack, another wire ran to the bridge, that is the simplest way because of how the guitar is routed, so would it work if I did that? Just cut one ground off the pickguard and go from jack to bridge?
Quote by AngusJimiKeith
wrong thinking, man.

Some specific threads are better dealt with outside the only threads.
Judgment call. Don't abandon the only threads in all cases, just because Jim isn't here.
Use common sense.

Quote by sglover34479
But I have another question, how it was wired when I got it is, the ground and hot when to the jack, and then from the grounded part of the jack, another wire ran to the bridge, that is the simplest way because of how the guitar is routed, so would it work if I did that? Just cut one ground off the pickguard and go from jack to bridge?
That will be fine.

You need a connection to the bridge. Whether that comes from the sleeve of the jack or from the wire that comes from the pickguard is only a matter of what's convenient for you.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by sglover34479
I'm really a bit of a n00b as far as modding goes, this is my first, but I love the idea of it, and this forum has taught me most of what I know, I've lurked and helped when possible for damn near a year now! But I have another question, how it was wired when I got it is, the ground and hot when to the jack, and then from the grounded part of the jack, another wire ran to the bridge, that is the simplest way because of how the guitar is routed, so would it work if I did that? Just cut one ground off the pickguard and go from jack to bridge?

Well I would only do this if you can't do it so one of the ground wires reaches the ground lug on the jack, and the other ground wire reaches the bridge. In other words, if you can't use one wire to ground the bridge and the other to ground the jack, then I would do what you're doing. But if not, you'd only be making it difficult for yourself.
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
Quote by sglover34479

you do realize that i probably close half the threads in here right? so i wouldnt go celebrating the lack of rules yet...

and threadstarter, while you seem to have gotten your answer, please use the wiring thread next time.
We weren't "celebrating" per se. We were remarking on the fact that this didn't become one of thoe "Take it to the ONLY thread, GTFO" type threads.