I'm new here ,
and I wanna either get a Ibanez RG320DXF-TG or a Squire Strat HSS.

Can anyone give me any type of constructive ideas on which should I get ?

Cheers.
Those are 2 totally diff guitars.

What do you play? How often do you play?
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
I'm playing a less hardcore type of music.
More on alt rock ,
and might wanna use bits of the tremolo.
I'm biased towards Ibanezs, especially when you're talking about shootoff branches such as Squier or Epiphone. Ibanezes, although they don't have great pickups, still play superbly and will get even better when you can get a pickup change.
Quote by Destratocaster
I'm playing a less hardcore type of music.
More on alt rock ,
and might wanna use bits of the tremolo.

Fender
Bands I've Seen

Robert Randolph and The Family Band
Eric Clapton
Letz Zep
Arc Angels
Eric Clapton (At the Royal Albert Hall ;D)
Joe Bonamassa
Eric Clapton & Jeff Beck (at the O2 arena ;D)
The Bootleg Beatles
Oh... Thought it said Fender :/ Ibanez then unless you can get a decent fender
Bands I've Seen

Robert Randolph and The Family Band
Eric Clapton
Letz Zep
Arc Angels
Eric Clapton (At the Royal Albert Hall ;D)
Joe Bonamassa
Eric Clapton & Jeff Beck (at the O2 arena ;D)
The Bootleg Beatles
Quote by xtheclincherx
yes, squire is fender.

"Squier is a musical instrument brand name owned by the Fender Musical Instruments Corporation."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squier

no squire is not their guitars are no where near what fenders are
thats like saying gibson and epiphone are the same
First, no VS threads. Read the rules.

Second, if you want a trem, you can replace the trem of a squire (and you can still use it, but not to the heavy guitar wanking of say, an ibanez trem).

For your genre, either will work. Squires are made of inferior wood while most ibanez are generally all around solid guitars for the money.
Quote by Tedis1111
no squire is not their guitars are no where near what fenders are
thats like saying gibson and epiphone are the same

sounds like you are new...and that's ok.

but yes, there are some squire classic vibe and vintage modified strats that are comparable or better than fender branded MIM strats.

just like there are some high-end epiphone lp's that make the entry level gibson studio lp look and sound like garbage.

eventually you will find out that being a brand name fanboy is useless in the world of guitars. if you like the guitar and it sounds/plays good, thats all that matters.

besides, your post was:
Quote by Tedis1111
squire is not fender

squire is fender
epiphone is gibson
ltd is esp
etc. is etc.
Quote by xtheclincherx

but yes, there are some squire classic vibe and vintage modified strats that are comparable or better than fender branded MIM strats.

just like there are some high-end epiphone lp's that make the entry level gibson studio lp look and sound like garbage.

eventually you will find out that being a brand name fanboy is useless in the world of guitars. if you like the guitar and it sounds/plays good, thats all that matters.

besides, your post was:

squire is fender
epiphone is gibson
ltd is esp
etc. is etc.

is bugatti VW? no its not they are a branch of the company!
others wise surely squire would have fender on the headstock?

only cos gibsons QC is useless atm, squire are made from bad wood and have poor parts all round, they are built to a price. i know enoguh about guitars to now that fender is better than squire why do u think squire strats are like £100-200 and fenders are like 300+ there is a difference but as with all makes sometimes there are the high end copies that are better than low end real things
Last edited by Tedis1111 at Sep 14, 2009,
Quote by xtheclincherx

squire is fender
epiphone is gibson
ltd is esp
etc. is etc.

No need to beat up on the guy. And he does have a point. technically they are not the same thing. It isn't that simple. Would you call a Honda and Acura the same thing? True, there are some good squires, but the fact remains, squire is a budget brand owned by Fender. I doubt there are any squires that stack up to American strats, and even then, when we say they are "good" it is all relative. They are still budget guitars. Some squires compete well with the lower rung fenders, but they don't compare to the midrange and high end strats.

Also, I may be wrong, but LTD isn't a sub-brand, it is just a budget line.
Quote by Evil_Magician
Get the pink one.

Perforation of women guaranteed.
Quote by Zmatt
No need to beat up on the guy. And he does have a point. technically they are not the same thing. It isn't that simple. Would you call a Honda and Acura the same thing? True, there are some good squires, but the fact remains, squire is a budget brand owned by Fender. I doubt there are any squires that stack up to American strats, and even then, when we say they are "good" it is all relative. They are still budget guitars. Some squires compete well with the lower rung fenders, but they don't compare to the midrange and high end strats.

yes it has a budget line not a sub company
Quote by xtheclincherx

besides, your post was:

squire is fender
epiphone is gibson
ltd is esp
etc. is etc.

That's to you. Another person might not find any of those near what the actual guitars are. For instance, I have yet to find an Epiphone who can match a Gibson. Yes, I'm sure they might sound near the same, might have near the same quality, but they're made to be budget guitars. They're built to be inferior. It's all opinion whether an Epiphone can compete with a Gibson.

Quote by Tedis1111

is bugatti VW? no its not they are a branch of the company!
others wise surely squire would have fender on the headstock?

only cos gibsons QC is useless atm, squire are made from bad wood and have poor parts all round, they are built to a price. i know enoguh about guitars to now that fender is better than squire why do u think squire strats are like £100-200 and fenders are like 300+ there is a difference but as with all makes sometimes there are the high end copies that are better than low end real things

Squire doesn't have Fender on the headstock? These images beg to differ:

Not all squires have bad parts. You can buy a CV Squire, upgrade the parts you don't like (Generally pickups) and you'll have a solid guitar.

Also, Fender is not better than Squire, but Squire is not better than Fender. Prices also do not matter in buying a guitar. Just because a MIM strat is more expensive than a Squire doesn't make the MIM strat better, it just means it has a little bit better parts.

All the price signifies is one of the four things:
A) Made in America/Mexico/Japan
B) Better quality, better parts
C) Name on the headstock
D) Signature series (Strictly American made Fenders)

Tedis, Apparently you don't know as much about guitars are you say you do.
Quote by FallsDownStairs

Squire doesn't have Fender on the headstock? These images beg to differ:

Not all squires have bad parts. You can buy a CV Squire, upgrade the parts you don't like (Generally pickups) and you'll have a solid guitar.

Also, Fender is not better than Squire, but Squire is not better than Fender. Prices also do not matter in buying a guitar. Just because a MIM strat is more expensive than a Squire doesn't make the MIM strat better, it just means it has a little bit better parts.

C) Name on the headstock

Tedis, Apparently you don't know as much about guitars are you say you do.

^this.
and, through their arguing, Tedis and Zmatt illustrated my point. this thread had nothing to do with craftsmanship or opinions of quality between parent/child companies. the kid had two choices, and asked which one UG recommended.

instead of actually offering help with any sort of specificity, Tedis simply says "squire is not fender"...which led to my friendly response clarifying that they indeed are the same company. some new guitarists dont realize things like that.

but then his initial "advice" morphed into some dissection of semantics regarding qc and materials.

of course, then he reminded us that he is new by making a statement about fender not being on a squier headstock.

thank you fallsdownstairs for gathering those pics, i was on my way to doing the same thing. some people only learn by showing them.

Quote by Zmatt

Quote by Tedis1111
yes it has a budget line not a sub company

"In 1996, ESP started a new brand, LTD. The LTD guitars are similar to the higher-end ESP guitars, but are more affordable and cater mainly for markets outside of Japan."http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESP_Guitars

gee....sure sounds like a new subsidiary brand to me.
advice for Tedis = research more, post less.
Quote by Destratocaster
cheers ,
but i'm looking for either squire/ibanez guys.

Quote by Me
First, no VS threads. Read the rules.

Second, if you want a trem, you can replace the trem of a squire (and you can still use it, but not to the heavy guitar wanking of say, an ibanez trem).

For your genre, either will work. Squires are made of inferior wood while most ibanez are generally all around solid guitars for the money.

There ya go, its up to you which feels better to you.
Quote by xtheclincherx
yes, squire is fender.

"Squier is a musical instrument brand name owned by the Fender Musical Instruments Corporation."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squier

Jackson and Charvel are owned by Fender does that make them Fenders too ?
Please excuse my godawful username. I was thirteen.
Quote by FallsDownStairs

C) Name on the headstock

You can't seriously say that. On the whole Fenders will be better than squires. American standards and up are pretty much guaranteed to have nicer hardware, high quality woods and better overall craftsmanship.

Nobody is saying that squires can't compete with MIM strats. Everyone knows that they can be just as good. But there is a point where the quality of the parts and work has to come into account.

Squires are cheaper for the reasons you listed, but wouldn't the better parts help make a fender a better guitar? I don't know about you, but I like metal hardware over plastic hardware, and hardened metal parts the don't wear out and better finishes. My MIM has had a few issues and it is 1.5 years old. I wouldn't expect a nicer fender to do that. I have seen a lot of people on UG mention bandwagons. Like the spider 3 sucks. I think the "squire is awesome" is another such bangwagon. If squires were so great then Fender wouldn't have any need to make any other instruments. But all my life I have known squires as budget axes. I don't know any professional musicians personally or otherwise who gig or record with a squire. They are great places to start, and if you want to customize a guitar then they are a good place to start. but you guys are giving them way too much credit.

I have played MIAs MIMs and squires and while MIMs and squires are debatable there is a noticeable difference between MIAs and the rest. They are better guitars and while you may not think they are worth the extra cash, that is really up to the OP to decide. Once he has played it.

Anyways, back on topic. I would go with the Ibby myself. The Ibby has a more versatile setup and it should handle alt rock better. The strat can get heavy but i would recommend a pup upgrade.
Quote by Evil_Magician
Get the pink one.

Ibanez. My first and second guitars were both Ibanez, the necks on the RGs are godly.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
Ok, enough with the Squier hate around here! Holy freakin crap, just give the guy constructive advice that isn't "Squier sucks" because we all know that IS NOT true. Sure, they're not the worlds greatest guitars, but they ARE some of the best guitars under $350. In fact, the Classic Vibe Tele is, IMO, better than MIM Standard Fenders.

Anyway, TS, we need a budget. What is the most money you are willing to part with, and are you willing to go used?
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
I laughed when I read the thing.

ibanez vs fender(squire)
Turtles R awesome. dont agree? YOU GO TO HELL, YOU GO TO HELL AND YOU DIE!

PSN: Purple-munky

Gear...
Ion - acoustic guitar.
Cort KX1Q - i smashed it
Fender Super Champ XD 15w
Stagg G-310 - i smashed it.
Quote by Thrasher51

yep.
but since fender only acquired them 7 years ago rather than 44 years ago, there's still a distinction between the look and brand. im sure, for the sake of market saturation, fender is not in a rush to start putting "Jackson by Fender" on their headstocks, like they do with the squiers. im sure they want people to still think jackson/charvel is separate from them.
Quote by Natrone
Ok, enough with the Squier hate around here! Holy freakin crap, just give the guy constructive advice that isn't "Squier sucks" because we all know that IS NOT true. Sure, they're not the worlds greatest guitars, but they ARE some of the best guitars under $350. In fact, the Classic Vibe Tele is, IMO, better than MIM Standard Fenders.

Anyway, TS, we need a budget. What is the most money you are willing to part with, and are you willing to go used?

I don't think anyone was hating on squires.
Quote by Evil_Magician
Get the pink one.

^Ah...right. I just saw a bunch of Squier debate and typically that means Squier hate. My bad.

But seriously, the whole Squier isn't Fender thing isn't exactly productive to this thread, now is it?
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
ibanez if you want a fast slim neck

squier in you want a chunky baseball bat.

in terms of the genre you are playing look at what your 'heroes' are playing.

the parent company arguement is best settled by saying "epiphone by gibson" or "squier by fender"
Last edited by ibanezgod1973 at Sep 15, 2009,
Quote by ibanezgod1973

the parent company arguement is best settled by saying "epiphone by gibson" or "squier by fender"

I wouldn't call the Squire neck a baseball bat. That is les paul territory. Although few things in this world meet the slimness of a Wizard. No doubt Ibbys are made for speed. They are like Lamborghini, fast, aerodynamic, high performance and painted in god awful colors most of the time.
Quote by Evil_Magician
Get the pink one.

Quote by Zmatt
You can't seriously say that. On the whole Fenders will be better than squires. American standards and up are pretty much guaranteed to have nicer hardware, high quality woods and better overall craftsmanship.

Nobody is saying that squires can't compete with MIM strats. Everyone knows that they can be just as good. But there is a point where the quality of the parts and work has to come into account.

Squires are cheaper for the reasons you listed, but wouldn't the better parts help make a fender a better guitar? I don't know about you, but I like metal hardware over plastic hardware, and hardened metal parts the don't wear out and better finishes. My MIM has had a few issues and it is 1.5 years old. I wouldn't expect a nicer fender to do that. I have seen a lot of people on UG mention bandwagons. Like the spider 3 sucks. I think the "squire is awesome" is another such bangwagon. If squires were so great then Fender wouldn't have any need to make any other instruments. But all my life I have known squires as budget axes. I don't know any professional musicians personally or otherwise who gig or record with a squire. They are great places to start, and if you want to customize a guitar then they are a good place to start. but you guys are giving them way too much credit.

I have played MIAs MIMs and squires and while MIMs and squires are debatable there is a noticeable difference between MIAs and the rest. They are better guitars and while you may not think they are worth the extra cash, that is really up to the OP to decide. Once he has played it.

Anyways, back on topic. I would go with the Ibby myself. The Ibby has a more versatile setup and it should handle alt rock better. The strat can get heavy but i would recommend a pup upgrade.

If hardware is all that matters to you, here's all you got to do.

Find a cheap Classic Vibe series squire (Pref. Used) with good wood. I've found some made of some pretty good Alder before, or of course a Pine tele. Spend $75 on new tuners, spend $50 on a new bridge. Spend $200 on new pickups.

There you go, you just turned that squire into something you could buy for $500 depending on how much you bought it for originally.

Also, I'm not saying that MIA is automatically better. It's still all opinion and subjective. Someone could play my EJ strat, and not like it at all, then pickup a squire and think it's the best guitar to ever come to their hands. It's about what feels right, which is why you see all these bandwagon haters on some brands. They think something is inferior or horrible because it didn't feel good to them.

Quote by ibanezgod1973

No, no, no. Just no. Ibanez are not "fast" necks. The player is fast, all you can say is that an ibanez has a slim neck.

Also, not all squires (If any, actually) have a chunky baseball bat neck. Hell, I just checked the specs, there are literally NO squires that I can find that have a chunky neck. They all have the modern C shape which is meant to be thin. If you find them chunky, then you must have small hands.

TS, if you have big hands, you'll probably like the squire, if you have small hands, then you might like the ibanez. Try both out and see which one you like more.

\
baja tele has the chunkiest neck out there imo, and i don`t have small hands i can stretch from 1st to 8th fret on the B string (7 fret spread) on my jem.
Quote by Thrasher51

I was waiting for someone to mention this.....

TS - just get the Ibanez and thank us all later. You will not be dissapointed.
Gear
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Quote by FallsDownStairs

TS, if you have big hands, you'll probably like the squire, if you have small hands, then you might like the ibanez. Try both out and see which one you like more.

\

HUH???

My hands are pretty big and i still hate Squire by Fender necks...to thick....feels like I'm grabbing my ****.

Only part I agree with is for TS to try out both and see what he likes.
Gear
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Quote by Zmatt

But just because it's the American Strat is "nicer", that doesn't mean that the MIM isn't still made by Fender, correct? The Squire is also made by Fender as well. Is a LP Studio as nice as a Custom Shop? Of course not. And a Epi LP Standard won't be the same as a Studio, but that doesn't mean they're not a Gibson guitar.

A MIM Strat is a cheaper version of an American Strat, and a Squire Strat is a cheaper version of a MIM Strat. I don't know why there has to be all this posturing about a "Squire" not being a "Fender". Is this just to make people feel more important?
Check my sig and see what you can do with a squier. Their not all bad guitars, it's kind of hit and miss but one thing I hate is people who hate a guitar simply because it says "squier" on the headstock.

TS, For alt-rock I'd go for the strat.
Quote by ibanezgod1973
baja tele has the chunkiest neck out there imo, and i don`t have small hands i can stretch from 1st to 8th fret on the B string (7 fret spread) on my jem.

Baja tele is a MIM, not a squire. And it doesn't have a chunky neck. Again, you must have small hands.

For future reference, just because you can stretch from the 1st fret to the 8th fret of the b string, doesn't mean you have big hands. It just means you have long fingers.

Quote by srob7001
HUH???

My hands are pretty big and i still hate Squire by Fender necks...to thick....feels like I'm grabbing my ****.

Only part I agree with is for TS to try out both and see what he likes.

Again, I don't find the "C" shape neck chunky. I find it thin. You guys play too many ibanezes and thin necks, which is why you think it's a chunky neck. I started on an ibanez, while I thought it was a great guitar, my hands cramped up like mad because of how thin the neck was. Picked up a Fender, felt perfect in my hands.
Last edited by FallsDownStairs at Sep 15, 2009,
Quote by FallsDownStairs
Baja tele is MIM, not a squire. And it doesn't have a chunky neck. Again, you must have small hands.

Fixed. teles aren't strats.

Quote by FallsDownStairs

Again, I don't find the "C" shape neck chunky. I find it thin. You guys play too many ibanezes and thin necks, which is why you think it's a chunky neck. I started on an ibanez, while I thought it was a great guitar, my hands cramped up like mad because of how thin the neck was. Picked up a Fender, felt perfect in my hands.

Agreed, I wouldn't exactly call the fender necks "slim" but they are by no means chunky. LPs are chunky. Ibbys are thin, and Fender necks are somewhere in between. I think they feel great. It gives a good balance between chord playing and fast finger work. Whereas the LP neck feels awkward on anything but chords to me and the Ibby necks hurt my hand for prolonged chord-age.
Quote by Evil_Magician
Get the pink one.