im working on my 4x10 bass cab and i need to cover it with something.... but tolex is way too expensive ! i was thinking maybe carpet. does anyone know where the cheapest tolex/carpet is? I ALREADY CHECKED GOOGLE.
by carpet i'm guessing you mean tweed - rather than proper shagpile. That said, it would look pretty unique, you never know might sound awesome too?
Quote by doive
by carpet i'm guessing you mean tweed - rather than proper shagpile. That said, it would look pretty unique, you never know might sound awesome too?

I second this idea. Royal purple shag carpeting!
Quote by doive

no ! iknow the difference between tweed and carpet. looks like this

http://www.bssound.com.au/imig/carpet-speaker.jpg
Last edited by savage94 at Sep 14, 2009,
why dont you just get it form there...?
Quote by Spaztikko
Imagine the part of the ballsack where occasionally old poo sticks to the pubes and hardens, and you then have to pull out, but as an amp. That's an MG.

Greatest quote of all time?

I think so...
because the purpose of this thread was to see if anyone knew where to get them for the cheapest price.
You people have no imagination....GoodWill, Ollies, Big Lots, thrift stores, etc. are all good places to go scrounging for various fabrics/carpets.

It doesn't HAVE to be actual carpet, I've seen amps covered in thick curtain-like material, cool colored/design-having sheets, stiff blankets, etc. Use whatever looks good and will be durable. Those are pretty much the only two requirements of an amp/cab covering material, and since you introduced price, the spot to get it would be a place like the fore-mentioned.
I bought my tolex at fabricland (I dunno if you've got them in the states, but.. its just a general fabric store) on sale at $4/ yard.. compared to about $20 a yard at most online places I saw...

I'd guess they've got something similar to what you're looking for.. just check out fabric stores in your area.. you're bound to find what you need there. or, an employee might know where to buy it, since its a similar product.. but fabric places would be a good start..
See if theres a carpet store in your town, I got carpet for my custom 2x12 from scraps a store was throwing out, it was just super short black stuff and looks fine.
thanks! and lumberjack, i never thought about sheets! maybe i could use sheets and spray lacquer over it! im definitely thinking of doing it green!
i think if i get green fabric and apply it to the cab and then lacquer over it , it would be like a tweed kinda? idunno