hey im new here and i signed up to ask if anyone has had any dull pain (like after a hard weights session) in thier right shoulder playing fast "gallop picking" style riffs or am i doing it wrong? Could it be that my stamina needs work or what? Sorry if this is the wrong place for this or anything but i thought id ask here .
you just need to jerk off more to build up arm strength.
Gear
Jimmie Vaughan Strat
Gibson Explorer
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Carvin Legacy+Mesa 4/12
Depends. Technically, playing really should be done in the wrist, so if your shoulder hurts, I figure you're really not using your wist all too much
He's no good to me dead-Boba Fett
Quote by tfjguitarist
This is not the Pit.

That being said, you're probably too tense. Try loosening up a bit. Your tone and musicality will improve about a hundred degrees.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Quote by tfjguitarist

Hahahaha. Agreed.

But in all seriousness just keep practicing you will get used to it and after a while you'll have the appropriate stamina, if after a while you still have the pain in your shoulder maybe look into figuring out if your technique is correct or not.
Play your guitar and check to see if your shoulder tenses up at all. You might have to really focus to notice it.
I've seen people that lift their shoulder a good inch every time they start playing and they honestly have no idea they're doing it until I point it out to them.
So yeah, tension = bad!
Quote by Aleksi
Play your guitar and check to see if your shoulder tenses up at all. You might have to really focus to notice it.
I've seen people that lift their shoulder a good inch every time they start playing and they honestly have no idea they're doing it until I point it out to them.
So yeah, tension = bad!

+1 - I'd also guess you are tensing your shoulders when you play. If you don't learn to relax them, it will slow you down and cause pain.
bloody hell you guys reply fast thanks i will definetly ask more questions if i need some more help with anything to answere questions its kinda a muscle pain thats like urm kinda like a dead arm and i think i do play to tense so ill try to loosen up any tips on how to work on that or does it jsut take practise?
I've been having the same problem, and it's not from using your shoulder to strum. Try to just relax. Also, If your playing standing up, try lowering your strap so you don't have to raise your picking arm up
I hate my sig