Page 1 of 2
Hello metal-heads,

Generally, I would be more likely to post in the alt/indie forum, but always noticing how many people participate/post in this formum, i was wondering what its mystique was...

TO ME, metal seems very angry, violent, and not at all peaceful or relaxing music, not to say that all music NEEDS to be peaceful and relaxing, but what I am saying is it seems that a lot of metal is angry and violent merely for the sake of being angry and violent. Like when I hear a song that is overly distorted guitars with equally distorted deep screaming rumble of an unintelligable voice, i have to think, WHAT is the deal here, that sound really isnt connecting to me on any sort of musical level.

I therefore have to implore of all you metal heads: Explain to me why metal is so fantastic? Why is there such a huge following of you guys in this UG forum? To me, metal has seems just like a phase for social misfits who feel dejected and rejected from mainstream culture, and channel anger and frustration thru this angry music. Is that the case? Why is it all so dark, what are they all so glum about? Put a smile on that happy face!
I can't even ****ing say how many times this same exact topic has been discussed. **** off and listen to whatever the hell you want.
I listen to metal and a lot of other music too. It's just sometimes good to listen to. I like playing metal on guitar too mainly because it's more challenging and sounds ****ING AWESOME!
It's the amazing guitar riffs and solos for some people, for some people it is the angry aspect. Also Metal is not meant for happiness so why should there be a happy face put on? But if you think about it, most metal guitarists can play all sorts of genres, they aren't held only to metal. But in the case of indie artists' they can only play certain things
Gear
Ibanez GSA60
Jackson DXMGT
Schecter Hellraiser Tempest
Ibanez S470 DXQM
ESP LTD Deluxe EC-1000
Crate Halfstack and Crate 50W Tube Head
Boss MT-2, CH-1, CS-3, NS-2, & Cry Baby
Crate XT65R
I think you have the wrong idea about metal. Not all of is dark and not all of it is angry. Your idea of metal is too general. You should research early metal bands to really get their meaning.
Anger IS the appeal for some people. Anger is an emotion and metal connects to some people on an emotional level. like me.
PAH!
I love to vent out anger, and go crazy. Why do you ask this? Listen to whatever the hec you want.
RIP Terje (Valfar) Bakken
Quote by DonTago
...Put a smile on that happy face!

not something you hear a lot in metal!
In speed versus emotional playing, i think of an M16 versus an M24. You can have 650 rounds per minute, or one round, one kill. Both should be in your arsenal.

PSN and XBL: xxWONDERxxBOYxx
Leave a message that you're from UG with your username
Methinks someone forgot about glam metal....

The blues is dark, classical music can be dark, punk is dark, hip hop and rap can be dark.
Anger and violence are staples of lots of styles of music.

Metal generally has much more technical ability than other genres and mixes almost everything from baroque to blues to middle-eastern music. You can do anything with metal, any emotion or thought you can think of can be expressed though metal.

politics, love, greed, death, loss, pain joy, anger, life, philosophy, dreams, nightmares.
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
I listen to all sorts of music aside from metal, mostly earlier thrash metal when i say metal (cause you know there are a ton of different types), but when I listen to the music I don't listen to it to get angry, I get excited. To me its the same as watching your favorite action movie or horror movie, it's not all about killing and violence its about entertainment.
not everyone who listens to metal is an angry person or a metal head i listen to metal and i also like to soft rock classical and lots of other types for me i got into metal because i just love how the guitar sounds the riffs and speed of the playing just got to me

when im mad i dont go an listen to the most brutal song i can find i try and calm down with something soft and easy mabye some muse or something classical dont try and understand everyones reason for doing something or classify them all into 1 group
The musicianship in metal is way higher, alt/indie music is way too easy to play. any idiot can play a four chord progression and call it indie.
....Not all metal is angry.
And well, it's the genre that i feel has the most energy to it. I mean there's a time and a place to chill and kick back, throw some sigur ros and what not, but there's also times where id like to able to throw on the heavy riff pout face and connect with the energy in a song as opposed to quiet contemplation and appreciation of ambiet subtleties.
Different strokes for different folks?
Quote by \Powerslave/
I can't even ****ing say how many times this same exact topic has been discussed. **** off and listen to whatever the hell you want.

You are NOT a nice person.
He's asking a question, in a polite, non-biased manner. Dont' be such a c*nt.
My post came out a lot harsher than intended, honestly. I didn't mean to attack the OP, but this topic is constantly discussed. Really though, people who ask it have barely scratched the surface of metal. There's far more to it than aggression or anger.
I highly recommend the documentaries
Metal: A Headbangers Journey and Global Metal by Sam Dunn

They answer your question quite well
Drink the sauce. Go on, it's okay. Just remember, I am the quest.

Quote by illuminatiano
YOU ARE A NO GOOD LAZY FORGETFUL STONER WITH NO FUTURE YOU ARE WORTHLESS TO SOCIETY
I'm nothing close to a metalhead, but i love metal when i feel like listening to it.

I can sum it up with one word: Testosterone.

Not in all cases, but in most, i think thats the case. I like listening to grit your teeth angry lash out at the world metal usually when i'm feeling really angry about something, or when i just need to yell at the top of my lungs.

Psychologically, that can be lead to testosterone and hormones. So i guess 2 words.

Those of you that are into music like that can surely agree. Now sure, its not always the case, but in many cases i feel like that's correct. I dunno.

As far as those who hate it: don't ****ing listen to it if there's a problem. It's that simple.

HOWEVER: It's not right to say that all Metal is like this. Listen to the classic sounds of Heavy Metal. It may not be calm, and it may have angry lyrics, but it's presented in a more easy-going way.

I dunno. I'm kind of a flaky tool when it comes to metal, so everything i just said is probably wrong.
Yeah, uh-huh...that's what they all say.
Last edited by BassFishin at Sep 14, 2009,
I rarely listen to metal that expresses anger and violence. You can't generalize all metal like that and have it be accurate. I used to think all metal was fast, obnoxious, full of screaming, and terrible. Then I actually listened to some instead of just relying on preconceived notions and stereotypes.

Saying what you've said is like thinking that all rock music is about drinking and sex. Sure, some of it will be and I'm sure some of it is in the mainstream, meaning that's all you'll hear.

Try listening to some other metal sub-genres and you might even find some you quite like. It's not all super fast riffs and screaming. In fact, most types of metal have more singing than screaming.
Last edited by D&DLover at Sep 14, 2009,
Quote by DonTago
Hello metal-heads,

Generally, I would be more likely to post in the alt/indie forum, but always noticing how many people participate/post in this formum, i was wondering what its mystique was...

TO ME, metal seems very angry, violent, and not at all peaceful or relaxing music, not to say that all music NEEDS to be peaceful and relaxing, but what I am saying is it seems that a lot of metal is angry and violent merely for the sake of being angry and violent. Like when I hear a song that is overly distorted guitars with equally distorted deep screaming rumble of an unintelligable voice, i have to think, WHAT is the deal here, that sound really isnt connecting to me on any sort of musical level.

I therefore have to implore of all you metal heads: Explain to me why metal is so fantastic? Why is there such a huge following of you guys in this UG forum? To me, metal has seems just like a phase for social misfits who feel dejected and rejected from mainstream culture, and channel anger and frustration thru this angry music. Is that the case? Why is it all so dark, what are they all so glum about? Put a smile on that happy face!

Listen to some power metal.
Quote by Restlesscow
If you don't like it, don't listen to it.

I'm putting this in my sig. It can end 75% of all arguements on Ultimate-Guitar.
i play Melodic Death Metal and Metalcore
most people say im the most layed back person they know figure the theory
Quote by rgrockr
You can buy whatever guitar you want, you don't have to be at a certain skill level to buy one. This is real life, not some guitar-playing RPG where you have to unlock new guitars.
Last edited by kakos at Sep 14, 2009,
Yeah there are plenty of metal bands that aren't all angry, Gojira sing about global warming and the environment a lot and power metals all about the dragons and the battles and everything!
The great thing about metal is the fact it is so diverse to be honest, just because that's your perception of metal right now doesn't mean a metal band of some obscure sub-genre is going to fit it
Metal guitarists have Brutal (That's right, I spelt it correctly) Tone.

And it's just generally a lot more awesome than Coldplay.
e.g. Metal bands mostly write their own music.

EDIT: I'm not actually much of a metalhead anymore but this thread intrigued me.
Quote by Cobain_Is_King
I got a packet of Love Hearts when I was six and every one said 'You Have a Tiny Penis'

SuperLol'd
Quote by Valderama
You are NOT a nice person.
He's asking a question, in a polite, non-biased manner. Dont' be such a c*nt.

We get this question a dozen times a week. It's very difficult to be patient.

Quote by slashrock94

And it's just generally a lot more awesome than Coldplay.
e.g. Metal bands mostly write their own music.

So do Coldplay.
Last edited by webbtje at Sep 14, 2009,
Just becuase it doesn't connect to you doesn't mean its not fantastic. Not that you said that, I simply deemed it worth mentioning.

I am neither overly angry nor overly agressive, but I still listen to metal. I listen to all kinds of metal too. From the earliest days of metal in the 70's up until modern metal, I listen to just about every genre. And I listen to classic rock, jazz and some rap. But the reason I like metal is becuase of the energy contained within each song. Each song is unique in this respect, but i think you need to have an ear for the uniqueness. Most indie fans tend to view metal as generally dark, unintelligble and unintelligent. But not all metal conveys dark themes. I suggest you go listen to "A Shadowkey" by Omnium Gatherum. It might change your mind.
Like punk the way it used to be? Deranged Youth Its like what Warped Tour should be!

Want to hear something mind-blowing? Pit O' Bodies Its like an amateur hypnotist plus the Spanish Inquisition!
well... I think your idea of metal has surely been generalized.... Metal is basically a foundation on which to play music....literally and metaphoricallyLOL.... but anger and bleak atmosphere is what prevails because in alot of cases it sounds really cool... and lets face it... it sells records.... but metal has given me a very positive perspective on life through playing guitar and listening to the amazing skill involved... and last... many aspects of metal actually comes from different genres... blues, jazz...ect... just give some of the metal bands a listen and maybe be a little more open about it... you might enjoy

Quote by Stranglehold
He swallowed black nail polish and shat the word 'motherfucker' onto a non-metal kid. Rad.

Quote by severed-metal
You can dress a woman slutty, but she's not a slut. Understand?

living inside a drop only to die in an ocean
Because I like it. It's really as simple as that. I don't need to justify my taste in music, neither does anybody else have to. I have an emotional connection with Metal music, it makes me tick, it cheers me up to listen to it. I'm listening to Rime of The Ancient Mariner on a crackly record now, nothing - musically - could make me happier now.

Also, it has guitar solos.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Quote by webbtje
We get this question a dozen times a week. It's very difficult to be patient.

So do Coldplay.

This is the OP here,

Sorry mate, if this EXACT question has been asked before, (sorry if that offends you) but if you didnt want to participate in the conversation cuz its been asked before, why did you even click into the thread? Just so you could state for everyone to observe and awe in your amazing pre-vious knowledge that someone in the past has asked a similar question. Well, you know what, i bet when this question was asked before, some-one else just as bored and thoughtless as you made the same statement you have, so, who is original now? huh?
Hello indie rockers,

Generally, I would be more likely to post in the metal forum, but always noticing how many people participate/post in the alt/indie forum, i was wondering what its mystique was...

TO ME, indie seems very peaceful, relaxing, and not at all energetic or dynamic music, not to say that all music NEEDS to be energetic or dynamic, but what I am saying is it seems that a lot of indie is peaceful and relaxing merely for the sake of being peaceful and relaxing. Like when I hear a song that is jangly acoustic guitars with equally soft mumbling singing, i have to think, WHAT is the deal here, that sound really isnt connecting to me on any sort of musical level.

I therefore have to implore of all you indie folks: Explain to me why indie is so fantastic? Why is there such a huge following of you guys in this UG forum? To me, indie has seems just like a phase for pseudo-intellecuals who feel dejected and rejected from mainstream culture, and channel feelings of pretentiousness thru this dreamy music. Is that the case? Why is it all so soft, what are they all so self-satisfied about? Put a frown on that angry face!
Quote by DonTago
This is the OP here,

Sorry mate, if this EXACT question has been asked before, (sorry if that offends you) but if you didnt want to participate in the conversation cuz its been asked before, why did you even click into the thread? Just so you could state for everyone to observe and awe in your amazing pre-vious knowledge that someone in the past has asked a similar question. Well, you know what, i bet when this question was asked before, some-one else just as bored and thoughtless as you made the same statement you have, so, who is original now? huh?

Originality is over-rated. Droning repetition and pointing out why someone did so is far, far more entertaining.

You'll note that all I was doing was informing Valderama how difficult it is to have this question asked all the time, and why Powerslave perhaps over-reacted. I would have kept out of your shiny thread if neither of them had posted.
Last edited by webbtje at Sep 14, 2009,
Quote by I_hate_kyle
Hello indie rockers,

Generally, I would be more likely to post in the metal forum, but always noticing how many people participate/post in the alt/indie forum, i was wondering what its mystique was...

TO ME, indie seems very peaceful, relaxing, and not at all energetic or dynamic music, not to say that all music NEEDS to be energetic or dynamic, but what I am saying is it seems that a lot of indie is peaceful and relaxing merely for the sake of being peaceful and relaxing. Like when I hear a song that is jangly acoustic guitars with equally soft mumbling singing, i have to think, WHAT is the deal here, that sound really isnt connecting to me on any sort of musical level.

I therefore have to implore of all you indie folks: Explain to me why indie is so fantastic? Why is there such a huge following of you guys in this UG forum? To me, indie has seems just like a phase for pseudo-intellecuals who feel dejected and rejected from mainstream culture, and channel feelings of pretentiousness thru this dreamy music. Is that the case? Why is it all so soft, what are they all so self-satisfied about? Put a frown on that angry face!

This made my day.
Quote by I_hate_kyle
Hello indie rockers,

someone has been reading REDDIT today: http://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/9k7h8/o_o/

Look at the first 2 comments!
Nice application of a little trick that was done this morning!
and THEN pretending that it is your own, you clever clever girl!
Your so fresh!
Last edited by DonTago at Sep 14, 2009,
First I've ever heard of REDDIT. I was just pointing out how easily your arguement could be flipped around to apply to any genre.
I think it was I Hate Kyle who said something along the lines of
"Metuhl is a cool guy, he plays technical music and doesn't afraid of anything."
Quote by ChemicalFire
He was too stunned by my fresh truths.

Quote by GodofCheesecake
"And I would've gotten away with it too, if it weren't for you darn kids and your meddling and your breakadowns!"

Quote by Nakedbythecomp
Metal is a sub-genre of metalcore since metalcore is more popular therefore better.
Quote by I_hate_kyle
First I've ever heard of REDDIT. I was just pointing out how easily your arguement could be flipped around to apply to any genre.

yeah, but i wasnt applying it to another genre, i was applying it to this genre. If youd like you can post your alteration of my comment in Alt/Indie and im sure youll get lots of appreciative respectful replies!
Page 1 of 2