Page 1 of 2
ok now look at the moment i have a marshall mg30dfx, and in my local shop the line 6 spider 3 75 WATTS is now only at £150!! while stocks last.

now surely this is a unmissible offer right. now iv played my friends 30 watt line 6 spider 3 and loved it now the 75 watt surely is much better.

should i buy it??

thanks
99.9% of the people will tell you not to get it.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
because the tone is so dull and digital, everyone here hates it. there are so many more better amps for the money.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
why do so many people think watts = quality.

watts is just the power of the amp, loud crap is still crap. Its cheap because it's crap, but there's a newer version of crap available so they need to get shot of the old crap.

It's still crap though.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Despite what you may think, the Line 6 Spider III is probably the most hated amp on the forums. Why?

It has a very processed, unnatural tone, its not the best in its price range, but I think the biggest factor on why its hated so much...

Sales clerks at Guitar Center push it on new guitarists, and from then on the hate wagon is fueled either by hearing other people talk about how horrible they are and overexagerrating it, or just hating it by themselves.

Idk why I just told you that.

Anyway, don't buy it, its certainly not the best, or even one of the better, amps in the price range you stated.
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
ok then thanks but what shall i get with £150 that has high watts as well? when i saw how many watts thats what grabbed me.
Hate to jack the thread, but you would find this better placed in the Gear and accessories thread. Just thought you ought to know
Gear

Fender Lite Ash Tele

Satellite 65/T

Yamaha RBX375
i will repeat what steaven seagull said in different words: higher watts does not mean better. there are some 5 watt tube amps that will sound 1000 times better than a high watt "50-100" (cheap) solid state amp.
Quote by pedromiles101
More Watts DOES NOT MEAN Better!!!!!

For that budget, I'd suggest Roland Cube 30X

But realistically, I'd say save up till you have at least 300 Pounds. You can get a really nice amp for that.

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
so you would choose the roland cube over the line 6? i dont understand when i played the 30 watt version it sounded great!, the effects the distortion now i do not have the moeny to buy top end marshall amps, so what would you guys reccomend?

thanks
oh forgot to mention as its 75 watts the spider it would be better for gigs as it could go louder no?
People say it sounds too processed, I have the HD75, and love it, but there are flaws,, that I can see why they get ripped. Go for it.
RIP Terje (Valfar) Bakken
Try some amps in your price range out.

When you do this, use your hands to play, and your ears to listen. If the sounds coming out of the amp are good ones to your ears, then you should get it.

DONT BUY AN AMP BECAUSE OF WATTAGE.

General rule: You can gig with any tube amp above 20 watts and any SS amp above 60
I hate my sig
you were about to purchase a gibson les paul raw
why not buy a better amp instead
a gibson les paul will sound **** through a **** amp
GEAR
94 Fender Stratocaster Plus
02 Gibson Les Paul Special (modded)
Orange AD-30 Combo

The SG Thread pwns your thread.
You don't need to be buying an amp at all, you don't have any idea what to look for and you obviously haven't developed an ear for tone. Lurk here and read up on how to buy an amp, there's a list of reccommended amps here somewhere, and try out a ****load of them. But don't run out and waste your money on a huge turd because you can't tell the difference between a turd and an apple yet. For one, watts refer to how loud something is, no more, no less. A big Spider sounds just like a small one, only louder, so instead of just you, your neighbors have to deal with it. Instead of buying that thing and regretting it when you realize how bad it sounds, get some perspective now and make a good buy that may last you a few years.

To those who'll say tone is subjective and it's an alright practice amp, this is true to an extent, but after a certain percentage of the community agrees that it sounds digital and flat, liking it makes you the odd one. You may as well go pick up an amp at Walmart buying those things.
Squier Strat (Jazz/JB) - Dunlop Zakk Wylde Crybaby - Boss MIJ HM-2 Distortion - Peavey Valveking 212 - Fender CD60
if you want a amp head that bad,at least go for peavey windsor @ musicianfriend

100w tube @ $250

but my suggestion is to save up for better amp
get the roland cube 60 or 80
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Grrr.... Okay, you said that you liked your friend's 30 watt that you played. And so some other people on this forum say that it's bad. Just because other people say that they don't like it does not mean that you can't like it. If you said you liked your friend's, how does the opinions of some people whom you've never even met change that? At any point, while you were playing your friend's did you think that the amp was bad? Probably not, because you said you liked it when you played. What matters is how you feel playing it and how you feel about it. You're the one that's going to be playing it, not the people on this forum. You can get whatever amp you want. If you like the sound of a spider iii, then get one. Don't not get one because people on here jump on bandwagons and say that amps they haven't even tried are bad. It's your money, do whatever you want with it.

/rant
You liked your friend's because you have no ear for tone. Get the Spider III if it makes you happy, but don't say we didn't warn you.
And I'm extremely suprised no one asked you which genre you play before suggesting better amps. So give us:
- Maximum possible budget
- Genres you play

||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by patbuck2
Grrr.... Okay, you said that you liked your friend's 30 watt that you played. And so some other people on this forum say that it's bad. Just because other people say that they don't like it does not mean that you can't like it. If you said you liked your friend's, how does the opinions of some people whom you've never even met change that? At any point, while you were playing your friend's did you think that the amp was bad? Probably not, because you said you liked it when you played. What matters is how you feel playing it and how you feel about it. You're the one that's going to be playing it, not the people on this forum. You can get whatever amp you want. If you like the sound of a spider iii, then get one. Don't not get one because people on here jump on bandwagons and say that amps they haven't even tried are bad. It's your money, do whatever you want with it.

/rant

+1000. It's not much of an improvement from the MG, but if you like it, what's stopping you from getting it?

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SAD MAFIOSO σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Originally Posted by jgbsmith
Guys, guys - put your penises away, we have a lady in the house!
Quote by TheWall27
+1000. It's not much of an improvement from the MG, but if you like it, what's stopping you from getting it?

The fact that it's overall not the best amp for his money and that he'll probably regret it soon. What this forum tries to do is guide people into not getting ripped off and pushed into buying crap gear for more than it's worth. He came here with a question for a reason and he's getting an answer, he won't be getting an amp he'll regret as soon as he develops a somewhat decent ear for tone. TS came here for opinions, and they're being given. Cut the "get what you want and don't pay attention to others" BS, people come here for a reason.

||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by Zoso1994
You liked your friend's because you have no ear for tone. Get the Spider III if it makes you happy, but don't say we didn't warn you.
And I'm extremely suprised no one asked you which genre you play before suggesting better amps. So give us:
- Maximum possible budget
- Genres you play

Good tone IS a matter of opinion. As you become more experienced your tastes will probably change, but if he likes it (and has actually played other amps) then theres no reason he shouldn't get it
I hate my sig
Of course good tone is a matter of opinion, but TS is letting wattage and popularity guide him into wasting money on something that can't be called an upgrade. Both the MG and the Spider have digital tones and sound even worse at higher volumes. You probably have an ear for tone, but many beginners don't, i'm simply throwing out there that TS could get lots more for his money.

||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by Zoso1994
Of course good tone is a matter of opinion, but TS is letting wattage and popularity guide him into wasting money on something that can't be called an upgrade. Both the MG and the Spider have digital tones and sound even worse at higher volumes. You probably have an ear for tone, but many beginners don't, i'm simply throwing out there that TS could get lots more for his money.

this.
Quote by pedromiles101
Dude think about it like this..

Lets say you've never had a girlfriend and then someone gives you a picture of a hot chick and says, there you go, that's your girlfriend. Seems cool until you realize all you have is this flat lifeless representation.

Spider IIIs are flat and lifeless representations of hot amps. When you've had the real three dimensional living breathing thing you know there is really no comparison. Get whatever you want, just as long as you know what you're getting.
Last edited by BobDetroit at Sep 14, 2009,
Quote by BobDetroit
Dude think about it like this..

Lets say you've never had a girlfriend and then someone gives you a picture of a hot chick and says, there you go, that's your girlfriend. Seems cool until you realize all you have is this flat lifeless representation.

Spider IIIs are flat and lifeless representations of hot amps. When you've had the real three dimensional living breathing thing you know there is really no comparison.

and after time, you realize that the girl is really annoying, texts you every second of every day, has a messed up mind and gossips way too much about everything. She gets so boring, that you just keep planning an escape route to get away from her....

oh and almost the same applies for the amp. my discription meant there are a lot of flaws.
Quote by pedromiles101
My advice would be, head into a music store and try some high grade tube amps. Then go back to your price-range. This means that you can compare what you're getting to the top stuff. I used to think spiders were awesome too, until i played through a tube amp.

When you're starting out, you don't have an ear for tone, so try and develop one before you start buying amps that you will potentially regret.

However that all said, if you're looking for a practice amp and you like the spider. Get it, just in a small wattage. Hopefully that means that when you eventually regret buying it, not too much money will have been lost :p
Amp: Peavey Classic 30
Guitar: Fender Telecaster USA Standard, Ibanez (Not sure of the model), Shitty Acoustic
craigslist it. youll get a way better amp for tha much money.

the only amp ive spent more than 100 bucks on was my line6 spider 3 lol.
Classical Guitarist
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
yes dude, it's better than the marshall. the line 6 spiders are half decent when they're 75 watts or more

Yeah right,better than MG series,THE WORST AMP SERIES MARSHALL EVER MADE
Quote by O.O Meow O.O
Yeah right,better than MG series,THE WORST AMP SERIES MARSHALL EVER MADE

well that's what he's playing isn't it? so it'll be an improvement FOR HIM.
Are you GC employees?

if not,why you recommended him some thing Sh!tty enough that he would wanna get rid of after 8-10 month?

For that amount of money, a Peavey Windsor head @ musicanfriend Blow Marshall MG and Spider III out of the water
Quote by O.O Meow O.O
Are you GC employees?

if not,why you recommended him some thing Sh!tty enough that he would wanna get rid of after 8-10 month?

For that amount of money, a Peavey Windsor head @ musicanfriend Blow Marshall MG and Spider III out of the water

dude i can promise you right now the tone is nowhere near as bad as people say it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCQPy9y1P_Y&feature=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_V_35zuiVM&feature=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVwHNmwL-UI&feature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTlyuMLpt4g&feature=channel

these are vid's of me playing mine. i use a spider when im not gigging or with my band because my AC30 and Deluxe Reverb are simply way too loud for home use.

now, would you or would you not say that tone is at least HALFWAY decent. i know it isn't great, but what you not say that it is at least good enough for a beginning guitarist?

half you guys ragging on the spiders just have NO idea about how to setup an eq.

the guitar used in all those vids was a Gibson Les Paul Standard by the way.
Quote by O.O Meow O.O

dude that's a big ass head, he's looking for a combo. and to be honest i think the spider sounds better than that. he's playing through a big 4x12 and it still sounds like a tiny open back 1x12. either that dude doesn't know how to set it up or it's seriously lacking in some low end "oomph"
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at Sep 14, 2009,
woop,my bad i thought you talking about the spider 75 head

but seriously,i dont like modeling amp cuz they just..........not real

but if ya got an extra 50-100 bucks to burn,the Windsor is better

BTW,the Windsor cab is the worst so yeah
Last edited by O.O Meow O.O at Sep 14, 2009,
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
dude i can promise you right now the tone is nowhere near as bad as people say it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCQPy9y1P_Y&feature=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_V_35zuiVM&feature=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVwHNmwL-UI&feature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTlyuMLpt4g&feature=channel

these are vid's of me playing mine. i use a spider when im not gigging or with my band because my AC30 and Deluxe Reverb are simply way too loud for home use.

now, would you or would you not say that tone is at least HALFWAY decent. i know it isn't great, but what you not say that it is at least good enough for a beginning guitarist?

half you guys ragging on the spiders just have NO idea about how to setup an eq.

the guitar used in all those vids was a Gibson Les Paul Standard by the way.

+10000! Before I bought my spider, I had heard all of the opinions on this here forum and I watched/listened to youtube demos and I was like "it sounds great to me, what are they talking about?" And then I tried it multiple times at guitar center before buying it. And I bought it over a year after picking up guitar. I was no nooblet who was persuaded by a guitar center salesman. I bought from my own influence and choosing.
Page 1 of 2