Ok, so I'm really new to playing guitar. (This is my first post on the site!)

I've been browsing other forums for noob-friendly songs & I've got quite a few to keep me busy for a while. I understand tabs & I think they're pretty easy to figure out. Still don't have hammering, pulling, etc down, but I'm not too worried about that stuff for now. However, some of the songs are in chords. These ones confuse me because they're just the lyrics with the chord names above them. Am I just supposed to strum the chord when I get to the word the chord is above? I saw this link to a youtube video that was supposed to teach me about finger plucking. Are you supposed to do that with every chord? & I'm not sure, but am I supposed to string the 1 & 3 of the 1-3-5 chord pairing (assuming for this example that its a major chord)?

I'm thinking that I'm probably just over thinking these things & making it seem more complicated than it is. Any help would be super appreciated!
Are you supposed to do that with every chord? & I'm not sure, but am I supposed to string the 1 & 3 of the 1-3-5 chord pairing (assuming for this example that its a major chord)?

When I said that part, I meant am I supposed to pluck the root string & the 3 string, & then pluck the other strings? I can't really say what I mean... I'm just really confused on plucking & how I determine which strings to pluck.
Well you can get Chord Diagrams from virtually anywhere, but I hardly can read chord diagrams and then exactly know where to put my fingers and when, so you aren't alone on that one. I use a program called Guitar Pro, and all the chord diagrams are in the tab so it makes it far easier, see if you can get a copy of that, either in a store or from the internet.
TheGuitar Techniques forum should help a lot for your questions. As for the chord tabs with lyrics, your best bet is to play along with the song and figure it out, but for the most part what you said about it was right.

I cant get my head around what you are asking with the chord though, best to ask in the forum that i linked above

Welcome to UG

First, there are no guitar related questions in this forum, read the faq.

Now, that thats out of the way, when chords are written above lyrics there are 2 things to do. You strum that chord when it reaches a particular lyric but you will also need to listen to the song in order to find out what the rhythm is for strumming. You can also find out if its being played with a pick or with fingers. Finger picking is hard and I wouldn't recommend it for a beginner.
Quote by axethrower13
But you only die once, so you may as well experience it to the fullest.

Quote by ozzyismetal
Get her a goat. Bitches love goats.

Quote by Weaponxclaws
Plus, naturally I scream satanic rituals while unleashing the demon. It's a marvelous resurrection.
Thanks! I posted my question in the guitar techniques forum. I wasn't sure which to post it in, but I figured I'd try this one. I've looked at a couple of chord diagrams but they are kinda hard to do. I really suck at switching from between chords, but that's probably because I'm a noob.
Quote by Theners
Thanks! I posted my question in the guitar techniques forum. I wasn't sure which to post it in, but I figured I'd try this one. I've looked at a couple of chord diagrams but they are kinda hard to do. I really suck at switching from between chords, but that's probably because I'm a noob.
We get a lot of that here. This forum is for questions about how the site works. But it moves slowly enough that a misplaced thread here isn't a big problem.

Knowing which forum to use for your various questions can be a bit confusing at first.
Use this: Important: New Members FAQ the second post has an overview of the purpose of the different UG forums.

Be sure to read the announcements and stickied thread in any forum you visit before posting.

Good luck
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.