Whenever I try to come up with riffs off the top of my head its either the same old generic blues riff or some song that's already there. I figure using backing tracks and just working on it will help me get better eventually, any recommendations on how i should approach this?
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
try practicing using only 8th notes over a chord progression. Dont use bends or anything that will make you hold a note for more than an 8th note. After a few weeks your improv should really improve.
Self proclaimed prophets are great people...
backing tracks are great but you'll have to keep finding more, I usually end up playing the same thing over top ones I use maybe thats a problem I need to work on lol! But learning theory and having a good grasp and ear for what notes sound good over a chord will really take you far. Also study a lot of solo's of genres of music you don't listen (and also solos by other instruments) to and see how they use notes and try to come up with why they used the notes they did.
Quote by Guitar2theface
Whenever I try to come up with riffs off the top of my head its either the same old generic blues riff or some song that's already there. I figure using backing tracks and just working on it will help me get better eventually, any recommendations on how i should approach this?

I have a question. Is your problem that you have ideas in your head, but you don't know how to play them on the guitar, or that you don't have any fresh ideas? If you are saying you're looking for new ideas, then listen to different kinds of music or guitarists you don't normally listed to, to see how they approach improv. There's nothing wrong with getting ideas from other musicians.
Listen to some violin or flute music...seriously...it will make you look at guitar in a whole new way...

I used to listen to easy stuff like hendrix ,srv,deep purple stuff like that and just jam over them...try to steal their licks...once you got a grasp on the move on to harder stuff like van halen and ozzy...

Learn new scales/modes and try to make up new licks from them from just playing different combonations of notes...everytime I learn a new scale/mode I make my own backing track and just play the scale over it till I learn how to make it linear (or side to side) instead of playing it up and down(cause that's boring lol :p)

Just keep jammin and use your imagination
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
Last edited by rdobson2 at Sep 15, 2009,
Put the guitar down and take your fingers out of the equation - that'll ensure you won't fall into familiar patterns. Instead, simply start thinking something up in your head, then once you've actually got an idea work out how to play it on the guitar.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com