I'm just looking at a PA system to use with a full band for vocals to put on some small club gigs and for practice. What kind of power am I looking at to get us comfortably above drums and such?

I was thinking 300W should be okay?
Anyone know anything about the Yamaha Stagepass?
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

the venues you play in usually has them.
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
i use a 200 watt phonic with 2 1x10 wedges and a 1x15 bag end enclosure. i also put the 10's on speaker stands. most the time i can just bridge the pa at 200 watts out to the bad end and that is good enough for practice, i use the stands and 10's for playing live. i am just about pushing the system to it's limit about everytime i use it for gigs, but it's good enough if you play smaller shows.

and a yamaha stagepass kinda beats the crap out of the phonic system as far as quality is concerned. if you want something more scalable that you can grow with i would recommend a 1000 watt power amp(like a crown) and a mixer with a couple of 12" speakers. this way you can get another power amp later to power a sub and upgrade the mixer and the such. much more componentalized so you can upgrade pieces of it. but the 300 watt yamaha would be a great beginner pa.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB

Round here it's usually the promo company that supply the PA and we're going to try and set gigs up ourselves because the music scene round me has just collapsed in on itself

Thanks gumbilicious

Also, are there any relatively cheap decent standard mic's? Shure ones or something?
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band

Last edited by SimplyBen at Sep 14, 2009,
they sell some really cool packages for shure. shure is really nothing special, unless you consider a damn near bullet proof mic that stands up to road conditions and rarely lets you down as something special. because in that case it is something special.

myself, i own 2 sm58's(vocal), 4 sm57's(instument/general) and an sm52 beta(bass/kick drum), and a pair of samson condenser that i got for cheap. really if you want to rambo it you can get by with 2 or 3 of 57's for vocals or instruments. the sound quality is not as good as some badass condenser mic, but then again you are buying these to work when you need them to not to sound like a telefunken.

57's go for about 100 usd a piece. i think there is a pg series they put out at about 1/2 the price. they also have awesome mic packages on places like musician's friend if you are trying to buy a bunch(like 4 58's, or 3 57's and a 52 beta).

edit: i understand the value of having your own pa, everyone should have one if you play out or have people sit in.

-ae
http://www.guitar.co.uk/pa/1502-oex400_portable_pa_system

Just found that, what do you think about that? My inital reaction was, those speakers aren't going to work for a full band situation are they??
EDIT: I'm looking at it because we're quite a poor band at the moment
Are there any other brands you'd recommend? At the moment the SM58 seems pretty good deal £45 for a reasonable quality mic.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band

Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
Untrue, especially if you're expecting to get paid for your gigs.

That portable Alto system is not going to work.
Try Soundsavers:

http://www.soundsavers.com/catalog/pa-systems-17/small-band-pa-165/

We bought our main gigging rig from there (16 channel rackmount mixer, powered 15" speakers) and they're a good company. There are always some decent bargains, at the moment this is unbelieveable for £350!

Including:
2 x QTX 12", 250W Max. Passive Speakers
2 x QTX 15", 300W Max. Passive Bass Bins
1 x QTX Pro 1000W Max. Power Amplifier
2 x 6M Speaker Cables
2 x 1.5M Speaker Cables

A tops/subs setup is a little more complex to set up and perhaps overkill for a starting band, but you're still getting an great deal. You can always leave the bass bins at home for a more compact 500W vocal setup.
That rig makes that portable little Alto thing look like a toy!

Edit: Also, for quality mics the Samson Q7 is about 1/3 of the price of everything else and sounds quaite decent.
Last edited by kyle62 at Sep 14, 2009,
Quote by kyle62
Untrue, especially if you're expecting to get paid for your gigs.

That portable Alto system is not going to work.
Try Soundsavers:

http://www.soundsavers.com/catalog/pa-systems-17/small-band-pa-165/

We bought our main gigging rig from there (16 channel rackmount mixer, powered 15" speakers) and they're a good company. There are always some decent bargains, at the moment this is unbelieveable for £350!

Including:
2 x QTX 12", 250W Max. Passive Speakers
2 x QTX 15", 300W Max. Passive Bass Bins
1 x QTX Pro 1000W Max. Power Amplifier
2 x 6M Speaker Cables
2 x 1.5M Speaker Cables

A tops/subs setup is a little more complex to set up and perhaps overkill for a starting band, but you're still getting an great deal. You can always leave the bass bins at home for a more compact 500W vocal setup.
That rig makes that portable little Alto thing look like a toy!

Edit: Also, for quality mics the Samson Q7 is about 1/3 of the price of everything else and sounds quaite decent.

+1, thats awesome right there.

-ae
Holy christ, thanks Kyle & gumbilicious
I don't need a mixer or anything else with that do I? I didn't really read it and I'm tired.

Off topic, kyle if you're avatar is dark side of the moon with a pint of guinness then you may well be my new favorite person.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band

Last edited by SimplyBen at Sep 14, 2009,