Does anybody else think that "selling out" is a stupid/annoying term?

Page 1 of 2
Seriously, I see people saying that every band has "sold out". It seems that if a band makes music, they have to keep making music that's exactly the same for the rest of their career or they're branded sell-outs.

If a band changes their style, they're sell-outs.
If a band puts a ballad on their album, they're sell-outs.
If a band is played on the radio, they're sell-outs.

I even hear people say that Chinese Democracy was GNR selling out.

Does anybody agree with me that this term is horribly overused?
Chinese Democracy is a great album, people need to get over Slash.

Proud fan of Pop, Rap, Rock, and Metal.
calm down, get over it elitists will always exist
Quote by asator
YOU'RE A CUNT AND STUFF LESPAUL1216.

It's okay because whatever, forever
If a band changes their style, I don't label it as selling out but rather a good change or a bad change.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
I always hated "too mainstream". People just genuinely suck. You learn to ignore most people with experience.
I would probably sell out if I had a band
Quote by Monolith295
Tobysaurus is one sexy man.

Quote by Kensai
I think I love you Tobysaurus!

Quote by CFH82
God damn, you've given me a boner Toby!
Yeah selling out is an annoying term. Only one thing is ever more annoying....selling out.

**** you Iggy Pop...
DOWN WITH THIS SORT OF THING
and
CAREFUL NOW

No man needs a holiday more than the man who has just had one.
When it's used incorrectly. Selling out only works when a band that has some kind of political/moral agenda does hypocritical stuff. Ie: an anarcho-punk band suddenly going pop for the money
Super Leeds and Classy Cas!
Quote by lespaul1216
calm down, get over it elitists will always exist

What part of my post implied that I wasn't calm?

It's very irritating. If it weren't for change we'd have a world of AC/DC's, and I really wouldn't wanna live in that world ...
man the search bar sold out years ago, that's why nobody uses it anymore.
RIP Bernie Mac
RIP Michael Jackson

FUCK YOU DIME!

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
Get 'Cliff is Angry. So so angry' on your ass.

Edit: Then take pictures and send me them.

Genetically engineered and raised by wolverines DAVE MUSTAINE...
Quote by diminishedtobme
No it makes sense. But if a band I liked Sold out, Id whine about how they didnt like you're doing.

What band am I defending? Don't put words in my mouth.

people just think "getting popular" and "selling out" are synonymous terms
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by maidenfan15
What band am I defending? Don't put words in my mouth.

I wasnt talking to you, settle down solider.
Quote by maidenfan15
What part of my post implied that I wasn't calm?

calm down, i didn't mean it in offense
Quote by asator
YOU'RE A CUNT AND STUFF LESPAUL1216.

It's okay because whatever, forever
I'd say its very overused, everytime a band changes style theres always that group of people going "OMG ITS NOT THE SAME!!!! SELLOUTS!!!".

As far as I'm conserned, a band who changes their music for the fans are selling out. Anyone that does or says something that they wouldn't do otherwise, just to satisfy others is a sell out.

However.

This is often confused with sound changes. Muse and Placebo have been getting alot of critisim for changing "selling out", when all they are doing is elvoving their sound as the mature, that is something all bands come to do.

Bands I would call sell outs is stuff like Jonas Bros or Mc Fly. bands that probably, almost certainly wouldn't listen to their music if the exact same thing was written by someone else.
El-Danny

Quote by americnidiot
You keep seeing songs like KoC, SMBH, and Hysteria showing up on games, but I want Micro Cuts on either Rock Band or Sing Star. I want to see numerous masses of kids staring at the tv wondering what the hell they're supposed to do.
Quote by BR0KENHEARTED
I sold out.

EDIT: Ask me how I did it.

You spread your legs for a $20.00?

If selling out means making a buck I'd sell out in a freakin' heartbeat.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
When used incorrectly, yes it is annoying.
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
Quote by ExtremeMetalFTW
When used incorrectly, yes it is annoying.

How would it be used correctly. I always see it being used on guys that are already selling their music to make a living. How can you sell out if your selling yourselves already?
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by Jackal58
You spread your legs for a $20.00?

If selling out means making a buck I'd sell out in a freakin' heartbeat.

Besides spreading your legs and doing what people tell you... before that...

Just make your music marketable.
Quote by BR0KENHEARTED
Besides spreading your legs and doing what people tell you... before that...

But that's not selling out. That's making a living. There is no such thing as selling out.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by CliffIsAngry
man the search bar sold out years ago, that's why nobody uses it anymore.

true dat
Quote by GmacD
pull down his pants, his dick is probly the size of a newborn moose

Quote by Union Jake
Found this quite funny.

Quote by Ichikurosaki
Found this quite SEARCH BAR
There is just no pleasing society these days. It IS ****ing immature and uneducated, but we have to live with it. If a band changes, they are labelled sell outs, if a band doesnt change, they are labelled monotonous and boring, and need to change. Its hypocrisy at its finest, but hey ho, some bands manage to walk that fine line between changing too much, and too little.
It is very annoying! people like to say bands sold out...just cause people grow and change their music

there are bands and artist that sell out but i typically see this more in the rap industry where very talented rappers copy each other just for the sake of making money
i.e. (the chain of "crank dat" dances, the spreading use of auto tune, the increase in techno beats, and repeating various line and lyrics in each other songs)

the same also happend in the late 80's with glam (and we all know how that went)]\

my opinion is where a band forsakes all originality for money, in fact a band that does not change their sound at all simply because they know they will get paid playing the same crap can be called sell outs in some respects
Quote by Jackal58
How would it be used correctly. I always see it being used on guys that are already selling their music to make a living. How can you sell out if your selling yourselves already?

Correctly would be when a sudden and monumental change in sound or look occurs not because the band's sound/look is maturing or that they're trying a different approach, but simply because they want to sell more records to a different audience, not improve the music.

That said, there's nothing wrong with selling out, that's a band's choice and if they feel that money is more important than artistic integrity or their music, that is their loss.
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
Quote by BR0KENHEARTED

that is selling out my friend
Quote by ExtremeMetalFTW
That said, there's nothing wrong with selling out, that's a band's choice and if they feel that money is more important than artistic integrity or their music, that is their loss.

theres nothing that says you can't do both
Selling out is based on what you do, not what music you play. It would be like Keith Richards doing an anti-drug commercial just so he can make money, not Greenday writing a pop-punk album.
grok it.

SKREAM!

Listen to jazz, it's good for you...
Last edited by dubstar92 at Sep 14, 2009,
Quote by ExtremeMetalFTW
Correctly would be when a sudden and monumental change in sound or look occurs not because the band's sound/look is maturing or that they're trying a different approach, but simply because they want to sell more records to a different audience, not improve the music.

If it's the artist intention to make a living from their music how can changing style in effect to give themselves a raise be called selling out. It is their intention from the very beginning to "sell out"
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by Jackal58
If it's the artist intention to make a living from their music how can changing style in effect to give themselves a raise be called selling out. It is their intention from the very beginning to "sell out"

/10
Quote by Jackal58
There is no such thing as selling out.

When you enter the business for art, only to find that you suddenly need more money to live your rocker lifestyle and decide it's a good idea to write some love songs or talk about overused ideas to turn that profit, you have sold out the artform in which you started.
Page 1 of 2