i've recently changed the strings for the first time on my epiphone g-400. on my other electric i never did any checks that i belive should be done on the first restring. i changed the stock strings which i believe to be .011 to ernie ball slinkys .010
i've checked the intonataion, the string height feels fine and i'm getting no fret buzz, and the neck does not appear to be warped.
is there any other checks i should do. any help is greatly appreciated.
Quote by theBONErocks
what does it mean if the neck IS warped?

i heard that by changing the string guage the neck can warp
Quote by britishsligean
i heard that by changing the string guage the neck can warp

Only if you're unlucky or you go up a few gauges.

To BoneRocks: When the neck is "warped", the tension of the strings (or lack of it) causes the neck to bend either concave , or convex. There is a metal "rod" inside the neck that you can tighten or loosen, depending on the bend of the neck, to make it more strait.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
okay, thanks. so a simple truss rod adjustment should remedy the curvature in the neck?
Quote by theBONErocks
okay, thanks. so a simple truss rod adjustment should remedy the curvature in the neck?

Only if there is curvature in the neck, but if it's your first time, I wouldn't do it without seriously reading up on it....
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Quote by biga29

Only if there is curvature in the neck, but if it's your first time, I wouldn't do it without seriously reading up on it....

i would listen to this man. he knows how to fight crime really well.

anyways. you might need to check intonation, but thats about it.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Quote by randomhero93
i would listen to this man. he knows how to fight crime really well.

anyways. you might need to check intonation, but thats about it.

They need like a muscle flexing smiley so we can flex while we fight crime....

And again TS: make sure the neck is the problem before you adjust the truss rod, make sure it's curved.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
the intonation is fine it is only slightly out and it would be a hassle getting it 100% right as it onlu needs a slight ajustment as when i pla the 12th harmonic it is about .5hz out which it was like when i got it
Quote by biga29

And again TS: make sure the neck is the problem before you adjust the truss rod, make sure it's curved.

yeah, the only ones we could use to fight crime with are the guns ones and the batman one. thats it though.

TS, never adjust the truss unless you know exactly what you're doing and you absolutely know that is the problem.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Quote by biga29

it doesn't appear to be curved i just did a visual check to see if it looked warped slightly, i doubt it has as i believe epiphone use .011 as standard string guages and i've only gone down to .010
Quote by britishsligean
the intonation is fine it is only slightly out and it would be a hassle getting it 100% right as it onlu needs a slight ajustment as when i pla the 12th harmonic it is about .5hz out which it was like when i got it

well, if you play along with a song, it may sound off because of it, but it shouldn't be so bad. i'm just a perfectionist, so, i change intonation everytime i change strings.
Quote by pedromiles101
Quote by britishsligean
it doesn't appear to be curved i just did a visual check to see if it looked warped slightly, i doubt it has as i believe epiphone use .011 as standard string guages and i've only gone down to .010

10's are actually standard on epi's and gibsons. so you shouldn't really have any problems at all.
Quote by pedromiles101
General checks are.....
While the string(s) are off check the Nut holding the tuning post(s) and tighten if necessary. Good to check Output jack and any other hardware that loosens over time.
After restringing and stretching strings, tune to pitch..Check String Height, Neck relief and adjust if required (you sometimes have to go back and forth between these two to get the ideal action). The you check and adjust intonation if required. Last you can then check and adjust pickup height.
Lots of good material out there for info on all this, take some of it with a grain of salt though as bad advice moves just as wuick as good advice. General rule is experienced Luthiers information is generally better than some of the Tech info out there.

Changing string guages or seasonal weather changes can affect intonation and action.
Moving on.....
Last edited by KenG at Sep 14, 2009,
this^ also, if you notice you're getting buzz where you didnt used to, or if the action can't be lowered as much as it used to, or if your bored, check the necks relief.

all you have to do is
fret the Low E at the first fret. at the same time
fret the Low E at the last fret, where the neck and body meet.

with both places held, look at the middle of the neck, like 7-9th frets.

if the string lays on the fret wire there, you might not have enough gap.
if the string is more than the thickness of a credit card up, then you might have too much gap.

sometimes when you take all the strings off a guitar, you'll find that the neck relaxed a little. and getting it to play exactly the same can be a bit of a chore.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by biga29

why do you have to use that color font? do you crave attention? do you know how annoying it is to read?
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Roland Cube 30x
Line 6 Pod X3 Live
LTD Ec-1000
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
Quote by dNWaKE
why do you have to use that color font? do you crave attention? do you know how annoying it is to read?

Everyone should be using the UG black theme as it is far superior. That colour is easy to read for UG black.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
I hate the black background! It encourages the use of 'sissy' colour schemes!
Moving on.....