when practicing soloing and such with a metronome, should you use a really buttery reverby lead tone the sound out the notes from just touching them? Or is it cheating because it plays so smooth? Also is there a site or anything that has tabs for patterns for scales?
5150 III 100W, Mesa 4x12 Cab, Framus Cobra Cab, M-Audio Profire 610, ISA One Pre, SC607-b, Equator D5's, Countryman Type 85 Di box, Radial JCR, Superior Drummer, SSD 4 Ex, TS9, NS-2 and the list goes on and on
Cheating..? Im not sure what you mean. When practicing a solo just use a clear tone that lets you hear everything and all of your mistakes. Alot of distortion or reverb can cover up mistakes.
"Good and evil lay side by side as electric love penetrates the sky"
Quote by jbswreckfest
practice with high gain so you can really tell when you mess up.

High gain will cover up the mistakes. It's good for harmonics and to practice palm muting, but the higher the gain, the less noticeable the mistakes will be. Practice on a clean channel if you want to hear your mistakes.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
you should practice the song with the tone you want to be able to play the song well in, just make sure you listen closely. Using gain on a part that should be played clean or vice versa doesn't make sense.
use just as much gain as you need...a lot of people get the urge to just crank up gain and wail away ...that's stupid...most of the legendary players don't use as much gain as you think they do....gain equals loss in clarity

And some people don't even like reverb....like me...my amp don't even have reverb lol

And theirs soooooo many sites that explain scales....just google it
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
I believe in practicing at least some of the time clean - if you can get your notes to really flow on clean, then it will sound absolutely awesome with more gain. The dynamics really come out on clean, and getting good control over your dynamics is a must, even though they get flattened out a bit with distortion. All of that said, if you are practicing a lick that's ultimately going to be played with distortion, it's important you practice it that way. You've got to make sure your working towards getting it to sound good the way it's going to be played. If you have some muting problems it will be less obvious on the clean channel.
I understand all the comments on practicing clean, and making sure that all the distortion does not drown out mistakes and stuff but I don't buy it. I agree with JRappa when he says that it should be practiced in the tone with the degree of distortion you going to play the song in. You see different degrees of distortion and tone will effect the touch sensitivity of the fretting hands fingers, and the attack style of the picking hands flow. Sometimes you have to dig, and sometimes you have to slide or just nip touch.....but the degree of pressure applied by the fretting hand and the picking hand depends a lot on the tone, distortion, volume, melody, feel, emotion, etc...

The ultimate aim of music, and most musicians neglect this is "sound", what we actually hear and not how glamorous your fingers look to the eye playing it. Its skill that separates good musicians from bad ones, BUT its SOUND that separates great musicians from good ones. Control sound and you control your purpose as a musician, to make great music, to bring pleasure to the listener. To truly control sound, one must practice in the sound that he is expected to play the song in. For it is the sound itself that will inspire you to improvise beyond what you practice.......Control sound don't be a slave to it.
The amount of pressure that you apply with your fretting hand should be universal. No matter what you are playing, the pressure should be basically the same. As far as tone goes, I agree that you wouldn't want to play a heavy song on a clean channel or vice versa. But for practicing, I think a clean channel is best. You will hear all of your mistakes and will know what you need to work on.

You practice to get better at something. Why wouldn't you want to be the best you can be?
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
i gotcha, but especially when sweeping i practice with high gain, so when missing a note, letting ring, or accidental pull offs, it sounds terrible, clean seems to sound less harsh when skrewing up.
i see where youre all comming from though
-JBSwreckfest
The slower the tempo the more reverb you should probably have
Call me Andrew. It's my name.

Quote by theogonia777
i fond God too, man! i sat next to him on the bus once. he told be the meaning of life and then gave me a pretzel. i can't remember what the meaning of live was, but it was a good pretzel, man!