...so how should I go about learning it? The song I want to learn is Ommadawn by Mike Oldfield, and the song is INCREDIBLY long at 20min long.

I ideally want to learn the full song, and I was wondering on the best way to learn it from tab for this?

Any help?
Like any other song. Part by part.
Listen to my songs!

Hate Unleashed
"The song itself is simply awesome." - British Steel about Hate Unleashed
"Really good." - DarkTom666 about Hate Unleashed
A Pleasant Point

Crit for crit
Chop it up into pieces. And then assign each part a day. If its a difficult song, spend a week on each part. And remember to review the parts you learned the previous week so you don't forget them.
"Good and evil lay side by side as electric love penetrates the sky"
Well, if you want to learn it that badly, then spending time on it really shouldn't be an issue.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Natrone
Well, if you want to learn it that badly, then spending time on it really shouldn't be an issue.

I do want to learn this song, but with the length of the song it's a little daunting. Especially as I'm playing it on guitar, which isn't even my main instrument.
Seems pretty simple to me. If you don't want to learn all of it, don't. If you do...Do.
RAZZLEFRAZZLE
What else did you expect to get? A miracle formula to learn a 20min song in 30 mins?
Listen to my songs!

Hate Unleashed
"The song itself is simply awesome." - British Steel about Hate Unleashed
"Really good." - DarkTom666 about Hate Unleashed
A Pleasant Point

Crit for crit
Haha like everyone else said. break it into chunks, learn it over time.

The only way you would be able to learn a 20 minute song in an extremely short amount of time is if you have one amazing ear and you learn it that way.

For me any time I happen to figure something out by ear, I get it down faster and remember it easier then if I'm reading tabs. But my ear is not that great right now and I've got to train it better.

A friend of mine can pick up and start playing almost any song after hearing it, and he knows no theory and never looks at tabs. Some people are just blessed with an amazing gift like that others have to work for it.
--Clips in profile! comment please!--
Guitars
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Schecter Solo-6 Limited
Takamine G330H

Amps
Line 6 Vetta
Carvin X100B

Pedals
cmatmods Signa Drive, Brownie, and Boost
Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
MXR 10 band EQ
Last edited by Dragonis at Sep 14, 2009,
are you very familiar with the song? i tend to listen to songs a lot that i'm trying to learn - sometimes knowing where the parts come in without thinking about it makes a song much easier to learn. i also learn one part at a time. each time i have one down, i learn the next section. then i practice playing them together, then learn the next section and so on.
Yeah, generally, the longer the song, the longer it takes to learn...and with this, your entire practice routine may revolve just around this one song, because once you do learn it all the way thru, playing through it once will take 1/3 of an hour. Just break it down into parts, learn it one at a time, review the other parts too, then put it all together eventually.
Quote by obeythepenguin
You win this thread. Pipe organs FTW.

Quote by ShadesOfGray
Let's take it one step further and add a slogan:

Big Bach is listening you!
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
I'm going to be here forever learning this...

Well you can spend less time posting how hard it's going to, and start spending more time playing the song itself. Just my thoughts: harsh but true.
Quote by patticake
are you very familiar with the song? i tend to listen to songs a lot that i'm trying to learn - sometimes knowing where the parts come in without thinking about it makes a song much easier to learn. i also learn one part at a time. each time i have one down, i learn the next section. then i practice playing them together, then learn the next section and so on.

There are two different versions of the same song and I don't know which version I have tabbed....
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
There are two different versions of the same song and I don't know which version I have tabbed....

I ran into this problem before too. Based on the track I hear that I like the most, I followed both or more tabs all the way to the best of my ability, and the one that sounded closes to that version is the one I focused on. That is my advise.
great song n a great album
mike is notorious 4 spendin months meticoulesly puttin down tracks
with a lot of overdubs etc
ther can be anytin up2 3 or 4 different themes goin on at once
tryn get ur hands on the dvd from Montreux its not only one of the best live per4ormances of a guitarist u will c n i have seen quite a few
butit gives plenty of close ups of what scales he uses and any parts ur struglin with
u cud consult the TABS
remember are only the publisher interpretation of the song n is in my experienc not
always spot on
the live version is shorter bu IMO in sum pts better than the orig.
good luck
Don't use tabs unless your a sucky musician or if you can't hear it. A musician's greatest tool is his ear. Listen to the song and play it. Like any cover, it is good to add your own feeling and when you use tabs, you have no rhythm, you just have a bunch of notes. Anybody can play a bunch of notes. A musician can play real music. To do this you need your own flavor. Use the main parts, break them down, analyze the song and then play the pieces, then put it together.
I am the only sane person on the planet. Does that make me crazy?

Crank the Mids
musictheory.net

Go there and use the ear training to learn what you hear and where it goes. It's annoying, but it is a good tool.
I am the only sane person on the planet. Does that make me crazy?

Crank the Mids
Quote by Bluesy...
Don't use tabs unless your a sucky musician or if you can't hear it. A musician's greatest tool is his ear. Listen to the song and play it. Like any cover, it is good to add your own feeling and when you use tabs, you have no rhythm, you just have a bunch of notes. Anybody can play a bunch of notes. A musician can play real music. To do this you need your own flavor. Use the main parts, break them down, analyze the song and then play the pieces, then put it together.

Some people like myself don't want to take it that far. We don't consider ourselves always as musicians, but rather someone that enjoys playing the guitar. Me personally I follow tabs, I then make it my own. I do try to learn some songs to help me get better, but as far as theory, learning notes, tuning the ear, too far into my life to start now, and I am doing quite well as is. For instance, my true love to play (what I listen to is completely different) is finger picking music. So I find melodies, I play them, and mix and match, and mess with chords and so on. It's what makes me happy. There are different strokes for different folks.