Page 1 of 2
hey,

Im a complete beginner,
Ive been getting lessons for a few weeks,
I've learned highway to hell now and a few riffs,
I mostly want to play acdc songs, there my favourite band, its mostly what Im interesting in learning,

I Was just wondering what would be a good amp to get the acdc tone, as I know they dont use pedal's, anythin below 400 euro I reckon? ( remember im just a beginner ) ,, And In ireland, if anyone could show me a place in europe.

anyways, thanks guys

Akenny01
[img]http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/9895/banneraffspec3iw5.png[/img]
Laney VC 15 or LC 15? Try Thomann.de, they have a store in Ireland.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by caseyramone
marshall would be your best friend

Not on that budget, unless he went for a Class 5.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Quote by Raijouta
Laney VC 15 or LC 15? Try Thomann.de, they have a store in Ireland.

Not in Ireland, but they deliver Europe wide as quick as anyone locally will.

The Laneys are great choices, and I can personally vouch for the VC15, but have a look into the new Marshall Class 5, which will be around €350. It's supposedly a Bluesbreaker in a smaller box. The demos I've heard sound great.
thanks for the answers so far guys, Im a complete beginner , so ive no idea what you mean by power amps and pre amps etc..
Quote by Akenny01
thanks for the answers so far guys, Im a complete beginner , so ive no idea what you mean by power amps and pre amps etc..

Let me sum it up for 'ya;
Preamp tubes generally shape your sound and boost the signal slightly
Poweamp tubes give the roar and drive the speakers

ACDC uses a lot of Preamp and power amp and maybe even speaker distortion because Angus loves to play loud.

But like Gabel said, the Blackheart can get all 3 distortions and it's inhumanly loud
Another idea!

http://www.valvepower.co.uk/18w_amp.htm

It comes with a Power Scale, so you can overdrive it. How does it sound? Listen to my 18watter in the sig. They are the same amps. I'll even play Highway To Hell and you'll hear it's spot on AC/DC
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Akenny01

I suggest buying a Vox VT30:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/vox_vt30.htm

180 euros, and it's a perfect amp for a beginner guitarist. Put the rest of the money aside to buy a new amp in a few years, or towards the best guitar you can afford.

When you're just starting out it's good to have an amp that does lots of different tones, it helps develop your ear a bit quicker and hopefully give you an idea what kind of amps you'd like in the future. You should be able to get a very accurate AC/DC tone by fiddling with the Marshall models.

If you're new to electric guitar it's best to get a cheap, light, simple and versatile amp like this - sound quality is much less important than flexibility at this stage (although the VT15 sounds brilliant for the price).
Surprised no one has recommended a Windsor yet....great ACDC tones to be had from that. Its quite an amp for a beginner though...but it fits your budget.
thanks for all the replies, Great options to choose from I see Which ever has the best AC/DC Tone ill go for, I could stretch to 460 maybe lol,
someone told me to try the 'Marshall MG30DFX' anyone know if its good for me ???

thanks againg guys, you've been great

edit - gable, your band rocks
Last edited by Akenny01 at Sep 14, 2009,
Quote by Akenny01
thanks for all the replies, Great options to choose from I see Which ever has the best AC/DC Tone ill go for, I could stretch to 460 maybe lol,
someone told me to try the 'Marshall MG30DFX' anyone know if its good for me ???

Thank you very much! We're very inispired by AC/DC as you hear...
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Quote by Akenny01

Stay far away from any Marshall amps within your budget, except the Class 5.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
AC/DC? HT-5
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Quote by Akenny01

Don't, that particular Marshall is a terrible piece of gear, and you should slap whoever recommended it to you.
I'd get the Class 5. Sounds quite similar to the JTM45 to me, just don't be suprised if you plug it in and don't sound like Angus right away.
+1 for the Vox VT30. When trying to get an Angus tone however, it's important to remember that he doesn't use as much gain as you might think.
Gibson SG Diablo . Fender Cali Series Strat . Modded Epi Firebird . Seagull 25th Anniv. CW
Korg Pitchblack > Vox V847 >
Big Muff π TW >
Boss OC-3 > Memory Boy
Vox AD50VT
Quote by Gabel
Another idea!

http://www.valvepower.co.uk/18w_amp.htm

It comes with a Power Scale, so you can overdrive it. How does it sound? Listen to my 18watter in the sig. They are the same amps. I'll even play Highway To Hell and you'll hear it's spot on AC/DC

+1 beat me to it, gabe. i got one about a week and a half ago, and it's awesome. you'll need to get a cab too, but even something like the epiphone valve junior cab would be fine until you get a better cab (that's what I use). it definitely nails ac/dc, and i'm not aware of anything which'd get even half as close for the same money or less, unless the class 5 gets there (and it doesn't have power scaling or a master volume, which means overdrive will be LOUD).

EDIT: enniscorthy is really nice, by the way, i think i've been through it, maybe even stopped in it for an afternoon, when i was on holiday down south, once.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Sep 15, 2009,
thanks guys, does that same setting gabe uses in the video, the one you use for acdc aswell? would it be the same setting for all acdc songs?? and sorry for this but whats a cab Ive no idea what it is lol

ps
Dave_Mc, thats cool mate its a lovely town I love the place.
pic to remember it - http://tcs.ireland.ie/dataland/TCSImages/Locations/382_enniscorthy.jpg
Last edited by Akenny01 at Sep 22, 2009,
Quote by Gabel
Blackheart Little Giant

I have one an I must say I love it! It's a wonderful amp and SPOT ON AC/DC

hey gabe, have you tried the blackheart handsome devil? do you find the blackhearts a bit darker compared to marshalls?
Marshall Class 5 would be spot on.
Also look into the 18 watter like Dave and Gabel said.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Quote by Akenny01
thanks guys, does that same setting gabe uses in the video, the one you use for acdc aswell? would it be the same setting for all acdc songs?? and sorry for this but whats a cab Ive no idea what it is lol

ps
Dave_Mc, thats cool mate its a lovely town I love the place.
pic to remember it - http://tcs.ireland.ie/dataland/TCSImages/Locations/382_enniscorthy.jpg

yeah, that's the place, I remember it was all up a hill, and there was a castle or something near the top. Thanks for the pic.

The settings are going to vary depending on the guitar and pickups you use, but certainly as long as i set the volume around the 4-6 mark (using the power control to control how loud the amp is), with the tone at 7+, it sounds very close indeed to AC/DC. That kind of "distorted but clean and open" sound. I doubt you'd use the exact same setting for every single ac/dc song, but the setting i use if perfect for a generic ac/dc song, if that makes sense. it might not please a real ac/dc head who knows the exact tone for every ac/dc song, but most casual ac/dc fans would think it sounds pretty close.

oh, a cab means a speaker cabinet. The 18 watter I got is a "head", which means it's only the amplifier and doesn't have a speaker attached. you can't run it without a speaker attached or you'll (a) get no sound and (b) destroy the amp.

you'd have various options regarding speaker cabinets, basically you want to make sure the speaker cabinet is rated for at least as much wattage as the amp head, and that the impedance (measured in ohms) matches the head.

In practice it shouldn't be too hard to get a match, because the 18 watter has a selector to switch the impedance between 4, 8 or 16 ohms (and the vast majority of guitar speaker cabs are either 4, 8 or 16 ohm impedance), plus its relatively low wattage of 18 watts means again that most cabs will be rated for a higher wattage than that.

For example, this is the cabinet I use (i also have a bigger laney one): http://www.thomann.de/gb/epiphone_valve_junior_1x12_cabinet.htm

it's rated at 70 watts, and has 16 ohms impedance. It's a very decent cab if you don't want to spend too much money, but unfortunately it has gone up a bit since I got mine (i got mine for £60!).

the harley benton cab might be worth considering, too, if you want to save a bit more money- it's thomann's own-brand, but as far as i'm aware, their tube amps are just rebranded epiphones, presumably it's the same thing with the cab (it does look suspiciously similar to the epiphone one, though it's rated at 8 ohms and 80 watts):

http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_g112v.htm

bear in mind, you also need a speaker cable to link the head to the cab, a guitar cable isn't suitable.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Sep 23, 2009,
Get a Peavey Vypyr 30 and you can dial in a tone for any band's song that you want to play.
i am also on a hunt for a AC/DC tone, i currnetly own a VOX VT50 and it is a very versatile amp however it doesn't do one single sound brilliantly, it kinda does a lot of different sounds quite well. Im not trying to put u off the VOX coz it's a great amp but u may decide later on, like i have that u want something a little more specific to the type of sound u want.

Hope this helps,

btw, does anyone know if getting a jtm 45 would nail the AC/DC sound, or a different Marshall valve amp, or a different amp completely?
Quote by Luca Gibson

btw, does anyone know if getting a jtm 45 would nail the AC/DC sound, or a different Marshall valve amp, or a different amp completely?

in theory, a JTM45 with a good cab played through a humbucker equipped solid body guitar should achieve an AC/DC lead tone. considering that is what angus used.

for a tone more towards malcolm, you would use the same amp, but the guitar should be a semi-hollow instead of a solid body and have heavier gauge strings.

again, this is all in theory. why? it is damn near impossible to be able to play just like another guitarist, so some tonal quirks will not be heard as if angus himself was playing your gear when you play it.
Quote by Skierinanutshel
in theory, a JTM45 with a good cab played through a humbucker equipped solid body guitar should achieve an AC/DC lead tone. considering that is what angus used.

for a tone more towards malcolm, you would use the same amp, but the guitar should be a semi-hollow instead of a solid body and have heavier gauge strings.

again, this is all in theory. why? it is damn near impossible to be able to play just like another guitarist, so some tonal quirks will not be heard as if angus himself was playing your gear when you play it.

I can get an AC/DC tone from my Marshall Bluesbreaker from my Les Paul when cranked. However, it is a bit creamy. If I had an SG into this cranked Bluesbreaker, it'd be instantaneous Angus I assume.
My Gear:
Guitars:
Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 in Charcoal Burst

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Vintage '70s Thomas Organ Crybaby Wah
Boss DD-6
Quote by Junnage
I can get an AC/DC tone from my Marshall Bluesbreaker from my Les Paul when cranked. However, it is a bit creamy. If I had an SG into this cranked Bluesbreaker, it'd be instantaneous Angus I assume.

i didnt mean to say that the only amp for AC/DC was a JTM45

maybe try heightening your bridge pickup to decrease the "cream" so you dont need to buy a new guitar?
Quote by Skierinanutshel

with filtertrons too, presumably.

but yeah, you'll probably never get an exact tone, but you can get close (assuming you can play like the person whose tone you're trying to replicate).

Quote by Luca Gibson

i'd assume one of the more vintage-voiced marshalls would get close. i think, as skier said, the jtm45 is the one angus used, but presumably most of the vintage-style marshalls (or clones) should get you into the ballpark. I know the valvepower 18 watter gets pretty close, and is very cheap for how nice it is. It gets my vote, but there are other amps from EVA, Martamp/MJW, etc. etc. which I haven't tried which may get as close or maybe even closer.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Yerjam
+1 for the Vox VT30. When trying to get an Angus tone however, it's important to remember that he doesn't use as much gain as you might think.

+1
The most important part of sounding like Angus is digging in. Really beat on those strings. That's where his distortion comes from, and where a lot of the feeling in his leads comes from. His amp is actually set fairly clean.
yeah, definitely, ac/dc hardly uses any gain at all. Even on a vintage non-master volume tube amp, with low output humbuckers, i can get enough dirt with the volume about half-way up.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
with filtertrons too, presumably.

And a Superbass instead of a JTM45!

Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah, definitely, ac/dc hardly uses any gain at all. Even on a vintage non-master volume tube amp, with low output humbuckers, i can get enough dirt with the volume about half-way up.

Exactly! I hear a lot of people play AC/DC with high gain and say an amp had quite a lot of gain, great for AC/DC. That's the thing, the amp is rather clean. You set it so that's it's still clean, with overdrive kicking in once you play hard. This is how I play and I play REALLY hard.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Quote by Skierinanutshel
i didnt mean to say that the only amp for AC/DC was a JTM45

maybe try heightening your bridge pickup to decrease the "cream" so you dont need to buy a new guitar?

Haha it's not me man. I don't want to sound liek Angus
My Gear:
Guitars:
Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 in Charcoal Burst

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Vintage '70s Thomas Organ Crybaby Wah
Boss DD-6
Quote by eyebanez333
Surprised no one has recommended a Windsor yet....great ACDC tones to be had from that. Its quite an amp for a beginner though...but it fits your budget.

Dude, thats OVERKILL For home practice

100W PURE TUBE POWER

seriously?
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
i also recommend blackheart
GEAR
94 Fender Stratocaster Plus
02 Gibson Les Paul Special (modded)
Orange AD-30 Combo

The SG Thread pwns your thread.
Page 1 of 2