Hello Pit,

My band owns a PA system (http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Phonic-Powerpod-410-S710-PA-Package?sku=630485). We love it and all that jazz, we bought two more Audio Technica mics, and mic stands. Anyway. We were thinking of renting it out to people for small gatherings, solo acoustic shows, etc. Now I was wondering, what should I have for paperwork and such?

We were thinking some sort of damage deposit, and I'm not sure what else. Also, what do you guys think I should charge a night for the use of this PA system? For that charge, we'd deliver it, as well as set it up and take it down when the people are done with it.
All your base are belong to us.
It's not that great a system tbh - maybe charge $10 a night for use would seem fair.
As for damage deposit - depends how well you know the people - half the value is usually sufficient - but it's better to take bank details/identity card of some sort. Then you're both buggered if you don't co-operate, so you co=operate more.
We've used it for full-school-gym sized shows, and it's worked wonderfully with 2 guitars and vocals over drums and a bass, I figured it'd work great for smaller things. $10 seems a little low, but I'll take your word for it! I mean, it's basically effortless profit on our part. Bank details sounds like an excellent idea.
I based the $10 on the price it was advertised at - if it goes new for $200 then you earn your money back after 20 hires - in a year that means ~every other weekend and you've made profit AND had use of it yourself. I'd say you could probably get away with up to $20 though, maybe just do $10 as mates rates - or say $20 but be willing to go down if they push it?

If you say $20 and they laugh at you then say $10. If not you just got 20 free $ my friend!

i don't doubt it's loud - i just doubt it's quality of sound replication :p
Last edited by doive at Sep 14, 2009,
Sound logic, thanks so much! I think I'll do just that.

It sounds pretty dang good, actually. We've used it for our band and for one-man acoustic stuff and it sounds very nice. At least to me, I haven't had much experience with higher-end sound systems. I doubt the layman could tell much of a difference either :P