Hey UG bass players,

Does anyone know if the intro to Metallica's Damage, Inc. from MOP is bass or guitar? I've heard both sides but since I can't really ask them does anyone know.

Here is a link as well: Metallica - Damage, Inc.

Quote by axethrower13
But you only die once, so you may as well experience it to the fullest.

Quote by ozzyismetal
Get her a goat. Bitches love goats.

Quote by Weaponxclaws
Plus, naturally I scream satanic rituals while unleashing the demon. It's a marvelous resurrection.
TBH I don't think it's either. But if it is one of them, I'd put my money on guitar.
Quote by SHWAG
TBH I don't think it's either. But if it is one of them, I'd put my money on guitar.

Ya, thats what I was thinking but its one of them with swell and delay. Cliff Burton was known for writing stuff like this which is why I thought it might be him.
Quote by axethrower13

Quote by ozzyismetal

Quote by Weaponxclaws
Plus, naturally I scream satanic rituals while unleashing the demon. It's a marvelous resurrection.
Yeah I hear ya, but I don't think this is anything an effect could do unless you did like a bass whammy with like distortion and a whole bunch of stuff like Justin Chancellor. Like the whale noises in The Pot and Schism.
i know cliff wrote the part, and i THINK it's a bass part. although i'm not 100% sure.
Quote by CurbstompBass
I've heard its several basses multitracked.

I looked some more and this seems to be the general consensus.
Quote by axethrower13

Quote by ozzyismetal

Quote by Weaponxclaws
I've heard (rumor) that it's 32 layered bass tracks. Listening to it I don't think it's that many, but maybe 16 biamped with 8 playing one line (different notes) and 8 playing the other with distortion on one side and wah on the other. Or some other strange combo.
Yea it's bass, but there's multiple, don't know how many and bunch of effects.
Quote by Steve08
According to Burton himself in an old interview, it's bass.

+1

pretentious small text, right justified signature
UG's professional coffee nerd
also UG's musical theatre nerd
roscoe's wetsuit
its done on bass with a wah and a volume pedal.AFAIK its multi-tracked aswell much like the intro for Orion and the bass solo
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
I read the Burton interview, and he said it was bass with vol swells, delay and wah, and many tracks.

He achieved that high tone with distortion and all that, so most people think it's guitar, just like For Whom the Bell Tolls, and one of the leads to Orion, as well as the solo in that song.
Rig of Doom:
1. Custom Warmoth Fretless Jazz
2. Geddy Lee Jazz (backup)
3. Fender Precision
Through:
VOX Pathfinder Bass 10
Soon to run through:
Acoustic 360/361 rig