Hello everyone, this is my first post here, and I would like to get right to the point.

I had a heated debate with a friend over how Punk influenced Metal. So I'd like to ask two questions and see what your points of view are.

1- Has Punk influenced Metal, and how much?

2- What is the genre of the band Metallica's album "kill em all", is it Thrash-Metal or some type of Punk?(He claims that it's Punk, what do you guys think about this?)

Replies are greatly appreciated, and thanks in advanced.
Last edited by Nistel at Sep 14, 2009,
kill em all is wideley considered thrash metal. ive never heard it refered to as a punk album
Not a punk album, although Metallica was very much influenced by punk bands.
Edwards Les Paul Custom
Burny SG Junior
DIY Telecaster
Keeley RAT 2
Marshall JCM 800 4104
Thrash (at least a decent amount) is influenced by Punk.

As for Metallica being a punk band, your friends an idiot lol
Equipment:

ESP F104 Bass
Spector Legend 5 Classic Bass
ESP B206SM Bass
Axl Mayhem Fireaxe Guitar
Gallien-Krueger 400RB-III Combo Bass Amp
Gallien-Krueger 115SBX Bass Cabinet
Quote by COBHC_Erick429
Thrash (at least a decent amount) is influenced by Punk.

As for Metallica being a punk band, your friends an idiot lol

Word.
Yep
Metallica are definitely influenced by punk. I mean they were a thrash band.

Also I think a lot of the more extreme genres of metal have a lot of influence from punk. There wasn't a whole lot of really aggressive metal before thrash that I know of.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
metal has a lot of punk influence.

metallica did too, but they weren't punk.
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
Maybe Metallica is NOT a punk band, but they sure have a lot of infuence of it.

For example, if you listen to the riff of "So What" you'll see that it sound like a lot o basic punk riffs.

Kill 'Em All is a Trash-Metal album, but you can also hear some (not much but..) punk infuence.

So maybe metallica does have a bit of punk influence.
Punk and Metal have a lot of the same "attitude." They're both very counter-culture based. I want to say that thrash is generally faster, more aggressive, and has a heavier sound. That's not a universal truth, but most of the time that's about right.
Metallica were not a punk band, but definitely influenced by it. I think they would be the first to admit that. Didn't they cover some Ramones and Misfits?
Quote by lazyboyofalabam
Maybe Metallica is NOT a punk band, but they sure have a lot of infuence of it.

For example, if you listen to the riff of "So What" you'll see that it sound like a lot o basic punk riffs.

Kill 'Em All is a Trash-Metal album, but you can also hear some (not much but..) punk infuence.

So maybe metallica does have a bit of punk influence.

It was a cover of a song by The Anti Nowhere League.... it is a punk song. That being said, Kill 'Em All has some pretty glaring punk rock influence. Although groups outside of the "big four" (with the exception of perhaps slayer) have much more audible punk influence.
Metal has taken a huge amount of infleunce from punk.

As has been said that Metallica had a lot of influence from punk bands, but they themselves were not punk. I mean thrash is basically NWOBHM mixed with hardcore punk.

And guess what, many of those NWOBHM bands like Iron Maiden and Motorhead also had punk infleunce.

Also, things such as the blast beat and D-beat, both things very prevalent in modern metal, totally came from punk. So METAL has been massively influences by punk, especially in terms of speed and aggression.