I want to upgrade my Peavey Windsor Studio ... I am not quite impressed with the speaker and was looking to change it out. Anyone have any suggestions as to what I should stick in there? I play a bit of blues, some metal, J-Rock, and Classic rock.

Also - anyone have any suggestions on the tubes? I have heard that a tube-change can make a TON of difference in one of these amps.

Don't have a HUGE amount to spend - but I can save up a little.
Quote by AcousticMirror
Is my album list pointing a gun or a penis to your head saying buddy this thing is going to unload if you don't listen to the whole damn clip??
i think Matrix Claw said that you can mod the Windsor in to JCM800 specs with just $10 worth of parts.
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
i think Matrix Claw said that you can mod the Windsor in to JCM800 specs with just $10 worth of parts.

How?!
Mah Gear:
Ibanez RGR420EX
Peavey 6505+ 112 Combo
Yamaha F-310
Kustom Arrow 16DFX
Quote by RDX1138
How?!

+1 !! HOW???
Quote by AcousticMirror
Is my album list pointing a gun or a penis to your head saying buddy this thing is going to unload if you don't listen to the whole damn clip??
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB

He was probably referring to the Windsor head, not the Windsor Studio, which I understand is very different when compared to its 100w counterpart.

Some mods to look into:

1. Output transformer swap
2. Tube swap
3. Speaker swap (what size speaker does the Windsor Studio have?)
4. Any internal mods (google it)
5. "Tricks" (some amps have little techniques and ways to improve the sound)

I'd recommend you get someone to do the internal mods and the OT swap. The rest you could probably do yourself.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
1. Output transformer swap
2. Tube swap
3. Speaker swap (what size speaker does the Windsor Studio have?)
4. Any internal mods (google it)
5. "Tricks" (some amps have little techniques and ways to improve the sound)
Or, for the money you'd spend doing all that, sell the Windsor and buy something better.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Quote by ch0
Or, for the money you'd spend doing all that, sell the Windsor and buy something better.

I like my Windsor - it does most of what I want it to - and I am not in the market for selling it for less and spending a hundred or more extra to buy and ship a new amp at this point in my progression. Saving up for when I am a bit better before I buy a new amp - next year probably.
Quote by AcousticMirror
Quote by w0lf19
I like my Windsor - it does most of what I want it to - and I am not in the market for selling it for less and spending a hundred or more extra to buy and ship a new amp at this point in my progression. Saving up for when I am a bit better before I buy a new amp - next year probably.
Well, if you're happy with the Windsor the way it is, leave it the way it is. Perhaps invest in a few pedals if you want to mix up the sound a little.

I'd be all for upgrades if they did anything to pump the value of the amp. You sink $400 into mods (into a Windsor, that is - there are other amps which will appreciate with the right mods) and you might get $50 of that back when it comes time to sell. It just seems potty to me. Invest in an MXR 10-band if you really want to change your sound. Everyone around here swears by them for their less expensive amps.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Quote by ch0
Well, if you're happy with the Windsor the way it is, leave it the way it is. Perhaps invest in a few pedals if you want to mix up the sound a little.

I'd be all for upgrades if they did anything to pump the value of the amp. You sink $400 into mods (into a Windsor, that is - there are other amps which will appreciate with the right mods) and you might get $50 of that back when it comes time to sell. It just seems potty to me. Invest in an MXR 10-band if you really want to change your sound. Everyone around here swears by them for their less expensive amps.

The biggest complaint with this amp is the Blue Marvel speaker - which is and are notoriously crap. I was looking for suggestions on a speaker upgrade - and what tubes I should look into for a tube change. I have the pedals I want, so your post does little to help me.
Quote by AcousticMirror
JJ's, Tung-Sols, and a Vintage/Veteran 30.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Quote by ch0
JJ's, Tung-Sols, and a Vintage/Veteran 30.

Thanks, Ch0. Looking at some JJ's right now. Thinking about replacing a few of the stock ones, as this amp's tubes can be interchanged freely. Try and get a little more headroom out of it.

Quote by O.O Meow O.O
Man o war but its not cheap

I looked at that one. I may think about it - I was also looking at the Patriot.
Quote by AcousticMirror
You don't list your location, but if you're in the US you should have a look at warehouseguitarspeakers.com

They do very faithful replicas of most of the popular speakers from all the big manufacturers and price them very competitively.
Quote by Marty Friedman
listen to samples on the celestion website, the speaker is a big deal.
Quote by KBaird
listen to samples on the celestion website, the speaker is a big deal.

There's no way I'd sink the money a Celestion costs into a Windsor Studio. Go Eminence or Warehouse TS.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs