i have a marshall jcm dsl 2000 and a B-52 400 watt mono/stereo 4x12 cab. both the head and the cab have ohms options of 4, 8, and 16 ohms. i know they have to be matched 4/4, 8/8, and 16/16 but what is the difference between them?
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
Quote by boxcarmonument

that's awesome! don't understand a word of it. i am a guitarist first and a mathematician never. looked really nice though
Quote by boxcarmonument
Too bad taht has nothing to do with what he is asking.

edit: I'm in the middle of doing a hw assignment if no one has answered this question, I'll come back and add. There are some techincal details...

Unless you mean what are the difference in a more practical sense, as in how it affects sound, but what people generally will say...

16 ohms means more windings are being used on your output transformer which will mean a fuller sound. I personally cannot vouch for this or say why it occurs, and I will also say that I personally have never been to hear any real difference, at least in my amp whether it's being run at 16 or 8 ohms or 4 ohms.
Last edited by al112987 at Sep 14, 2009,
Isn't there a weird little circumstance whereby you can run less ohms into more ohms - like 4 into 16?

Maybe I'm imagining things.
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but...

I believe that as long as the impedence of your cab is greater than that of your head, you'll be fine.

The higher the impedance of your amp (so, you're putting it in the 16 ohm socket), the signal is resisted more. That's why Power Attentuators add more resistance, and it's better for more gain at higher volumes.

But I also hear that if the impedence of your cab is too low (2 ohms-ish) then it will catch fire.

But then again, I just put the same speaker cables in the same jacks, lol. I'd be interested to see where this thread goes as well.
Axes;
Ibanez S Prestige (Bubinga Top)
ESP LTD MH-103
Ibanez GiO with DiMarzio D-Activator X's!
'96(ish) Fender Stratocaster

Amps;
Mesa Boogie Road King II
Fender '65 Reissue

Joe Satriani's Group

Stop the Pick Gnomes!