My electric's been "broken" for about a month now, and I can't bring myself to try and fix it. So I was wondering if anyone knew how much Guitar Center would charge to fix my problem.

My problem: The screws that control the tension on the springs has stripped, and since I can't screw it in, the tension won't pull the strings tight, and outcome is perma drop Z lol

Also, seeing as how I'm still a newbie at guitar, electrics especially, I was wondering if the people at Guitar Center would also set-up my guitar for lower tuning and put a set of heavier strings on.
Pathetic to ask all that of them, i know, but I'm still a bit paranoid that I might break my crappy guitar more by trying myself
My babies:
-Epiphone 1958 Korina Explorer
-Peavey Vypyr 30
-Epiphone Hummingbird
you can put wood epoxy into the hole let it dry and screw back into it.

it'll hold.

GC will probably just add a larger screw, wood chips and glue. which isnt as strong and they will charge you an arm and leg, and keep the guitar at least a week for the honor of it.

lastly, it's not electronics you're talking about.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
you can put wood epoxy into the hole let it dry and screw back into it.

it'll hold.

GC will probably just add a larger screw, wood chips and glue. which isnt as strong and they will charge you an arm and leg, and keep the guitar at least a week for the honor of it.

lastly, it's not electronics you're talking about.

Yeah, I suppose i can do that, and i suppose it won't hurt to figure out how to change the strings on a whammy either. Its just that, like i said, I'm a bit afraid of breaking my cheap guitar. Thanks.
My babies:
-Peavey Vypyr 30
-Epiphone Hummingbird
I am a little confused by what your asking.

What screws are you talking about?
Is it on a Floyd equipped guitar or the screws on a Strat type trem?
Is the guitar your talking about the DEAN?

Pics would be a help.

Stripped holes in the wood of a guitar is about the easiest fix on a guitar. Some wood tooth pics and a little titebond dab the toothpic in the glue stick them in the holes this will fill the hole trim them flat with the body and reinstall the screws after about 24hrs.

If you have to bring it to GC You want to make sure they have a good repair man I have seen them do a lot of hack work because the guy doing the repairs was not very good.

John
ok so you know what you do?

shove a block of wood in the trem cavity in the back.

it's gotta be like the size of a 9v battery.

it goes at the very rear of the cavity shoved behind the metal bar back there.

you do that and the get it the right size and you have blocked the bridge and no longer need your springs.

you turned your useless whammy into a hardtail (sort of)

thanks ippon
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Last edited by jj1565 at Sep 14, 2009,
Quote by jj1565
ok so you know what you do?

shove a block of wood in the trem cavity in the back.

it's gotta be like the size of a 9v battery.

it goes at the very rear of the cavity shoved behind the metal bar back there.

you do that and the get it the right size and you have blocked the bridge and no longer need your springs.

you turned your useless whammy into a hardtail (sort of)

Seriously? Wouldn't even need to worry about the freakin springs? Tell me you aren't screwing with me?
My babies:
-Peavey Vypyr 30
-Epiphone Hummingbird
Quote by DrDeathjeans
Tell me you aren't screwing with me?

no screwing just glue-ing. just check out the pic above.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

First off, GC "luthiers" are really hit and miss--and I haven't personally come across any hits yet. That's not a viable course of action even for a cheap guitar.

Second, what do you mean by the "screws that control the tension on the springs"? Are you talking about the trem claw screws?

If you are, then do you mean: a) the holes in the wood stripped out, b) that the threads on the screws stripped off, or c) that the head stripped (you can't get a good grip on them with the screwdriver)?

My money's on "c". You can get the screws out with pliers by gripping the heads and twisting counterclockwise. If you have trouble gripping, then you can file straight edges on the sides of the heads to get a better grip. Remove the springs before you do this.

You should be able to find the right size replacement wood screws at any hardware store.

Make sure you always use the right sized phillips screwdriver on these screws and that you hold it at the correct angle to fully engage the drive--you might need a really long screwdriver to get the angle right and be able to achieve a productive grip.

Restringing is no big deal. Check out Seymour Duncan's technique at: http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/choosing-installing/installing-pick/ (choose the les paul example; he strings it at the 7:30 point).

You may have to adjust the truss rod for the bigger strings; find out how elsewhere on this site, but don't trust GC with that, either.

I wouldn't go higher than .10s on a $120 guitar like the Dean. Don't even think about heavy bottom/skinny top strings on this guitar unless you want the neck to curve up like a banana.

I'm not a Dean expert, so if someone knows more about Deans specifically, feel free to correct me. Most starter guitars have necks/truss rods too weak for really heavy strings.

Good luck.
Good god...I'm glad you came along...again lol. I'm gonna try the tremblock first. I really just want the least amount of work, cuz i don't care for that whammy. So just a block of wood to basically do what the strings did? (minus whammy capability)

Do i have to glue the woodblock in, or will it just squeeze in enough?
My babies:
-Peavey Vypyr 30
-Epiphone Hummingbird
Just saw the post on blocking the trem that jj1565 posted while I was typing my wall of text...

You can do that if you don't like your useless whammy. Or you can do it temporarily to get you playing until you can get to the hardware store. Just don't use the glue

I was thinking about suggesting the temporary block but I got tired of typing.
Kk...thanks one and all. I think i'll just tremblock it and save myself the trouble. I don't plan on having this p.o.s. guitar for too long (i hope).
My babies:
-Peavey Vypyr 30
-Epiphone Hummingbird
Also you can wedge some thin picks into the gaps to hold the block.

Why don't you like the trem? Because it goes out of tune too fast, or because it doesn't have enough range?

Long term, you can buy locking tuning pegs and a Graphtech nut to help your tuning stability. Short term, you can lube the slots in the nut and the saddles with a graphite lubricant like: http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/GHS-GraphitAll-Guitar-Lubricant?sku=423700
You might want to keep the guitar and upgrade it even after you get another guitar--I take it you'd want one with a floyd rose trem.

You can't quickly change tunings on the floyds; so you'll need a guitar for each tuning. Or one floyd for Drop-D or for whatever you usually play, and one guitar with the vintage trem for everything else (since they're so easy to change tunings on).

With upgrades I mentioned previously, and some good pickups, that Dean might not be half-bad. Most starter guitars don't have 24 frets.
Quote by DrDeathjeans
Good god...I'm glad you came along...again lol. I'm gonna try the tremblock first. I really just want the least amount of work, cuz i don't care for that whammy. So just a block of wood to basically do what the strings did? (minus whammy capability)

Do i have to glue the woodblock in, or will it just squeeze in enough?

ippon seems to have glued his in , in that pic, but you can wedge it in there good. just get the bridge flush against the body on the other side.

nice and level you know?

you should be able to fix it tonight.
and then of course it'll also stay in tune for you better now too.

glld luck
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

If you choose to block the trem do not glue to the body. I have seen many guitars where they glue the blocks to the trem and guitar body and then try and adjust the bridge after, stripping the posts. If you must glue it just put glue on the side up against the trem not the body it makes it easy to remove later if you decide to ever want to use the trem again. Now that I know it's the screws that adjust the tension on the trem claw It's an even easier fix. I would remove the screws and just replace them. A lot of guitars I have come across have sheet rock srcews holding the trem claw I would imagine these also had the screws replaced for the same reason. For some reason guitar companies just do not use a hardened screw so they strip out very easy. Usually a #2 phillips screw driver tip is the right size to use. Also use a good screwdriver if the tip is worn it will not grip well and strip the head.

John