I've been playing all this time with my hand kind of curved up in a ball. My friend told me that it's better to kind of hold the pic with your thumb and index and let your other fingers hang off your hand.

Can anyone confirm this for me? Is this helpful at all?
Chinese Democracy is a great album, people need to get over Slash.

Proud fan of Pop, Rap, Rock, and Metal.
The best way to hold a pick is the way which feels most comfortable to you.
Gibson SG Diablo . Fender Cali Series Strat . Modded Epi Firebird . Seagull 25th Anniv. CW
Korg Pitchblack > Vox V847 >
Big Muff π TW >
Boss OC-3 > Memory Boy
Vox AD50VT
Quote by Yerjam

I second this
I don't read, I look at words and absorb their meanings.
If the pit was a group of people hangin out we would be possibly the most awsome group of people to be known to mankind.........I think it would be on the news
Quote by Yerjam

And it's also more comfortable to anchor with a few fingers, play only downstrokes, not mute strings and not use your pinky.

Your friend is correct TS.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Quote by Deep*Kick
And it's also more comfortable to anchor with a few fingers, play only downstrokes, not mute strings and not use your pinky.

Could you maybe link me to a video where somebody is using a good picking technique? I just want to see how my hand should look.
Chinese Democracy is a great album, people need to get over Slash.

Proud fan of Pop, Rap, Rock, and Metal.
Quote by Deep*Kick

Well yeh obviously. Perhaps I should've added "within reason" at the end of my comment, but his question was about holding the pick, and everyone's different. Personally I use a mixture, depending on what I'm playing.
Gibson SG Diablo . Fender Cali Series Strat . Modded Epi Firebird . Seagull 25th Anniv. CW
Korg Pitchblack > Vox V847 >
Big Muff π TW >
Boss OC-3 > Memory Boy
Vox AD50VT
Quote by Yerjam

This.

Because trying to master picking the right way in the eyes of others is a waste of time unless you work relentlessly for weeks on end.

So just pick the way you've been picking and you'll be fine unless your picking severely hinders your ability to pick smoothly and quickly.
There will be zero tolerance
For the creator of hallowed intentions
There will be zero tolerance
Fate is your deciding God
Quote by maidenfan15
Could you maybe link me to a video where somebody is using a good picking technique? I just want to see how my hand should look.

I would look up on youtube Marshall Harrison, Paul Gilbert and Guthrie Govan. They are the first that come to mind.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.