Does anyone have an argument against using a power attenuator?

I know people who refuse to use them but I have never heard a valid argument.
"teh most gains"
The only argument I've heard is that most of them don't preserve tone as well as they're said to when cutting down lots of dB, then again, I wouldn't know since I don't use one.

||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Here's one: people who like utilizing their clean headroom. They also sound slightly different because at lower volumes the speaker acts differently.

That's just being nitpicky though... it's all a matter of taste anyway.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
i use an attenuator on my fender deluxe and my AC30. when im at home. the tone is dulled by a very small amount, but it still sounds damn good
Depends on what you're doing. In my experience very quiet bedroom volumes are quite difficult to achieve. All three amps I've used an attenuator with just didn't sounds good at medium tv volumes. Now, reamping on the other hand, well, that just works frickin brilliant.

In short, reamping is a great reason to not get a power attenuator.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
another reason is that because your tubes are cranked, they wont last as long. yes the output volume is lower, but the point of an attenuator is your cranking everything at a lower volume

if you dont mind buying t00bs twice as often than its fine
Peavey JSX 120 Half Stack
Mockingbird Evil Edge SE
Mockingbird Special(White)

Set sail to sea but pulled off course by the light of golden treasure --Hetfield, the Unforgiven Pirate

So I dub Thee Unforgiven Three! -How it should have been
Quote by al112987
the main reason is that they suck tone like a mf.

thats an exaggeration especially with quality units like the weber with a speaker motor in it. i lost a bit of high end, but no more than 1/4 of a turn on my EQ which is easily compensated for. Not to mention the weber mini mass comes with a treble switch adjustable between 3 and 6 dB. no quality unit is going to take anything away that isnt easily compensated before.

a lot of people that are against attenuators most likely havent tried the right one or any at all and simply go by what they hear from others or blindly see it as something screwing with their signal. I was one of the ones that believed other people when they said attenuators mess with your tone big time. a crappy one mght, but I know my mini mass doesnt do anything that some eqing and experimenting wasnt able to fix. Like I said when I first started using it I lost some high end, but it was fixed in 2 seconds with slight twist of a knob

another reason is that because your tubes are cranked, they wont last as long. yes the output volume is lower, but the point of an attenuator is your cranking everything at a lower volume

if you dont mind buying t00bs twice as often than its fine

and yet cranking an amp is the only way to get certain sounds out of that amp, whether you're using an attenuator or not.

bottom line is if you're a bedroom or "small gig" player with a 30+ watt amp and are not satisfied with the sounds you get out of your amp at bedroom/small gig volumes, yet refuse to use an attenuator or the re-amping method you're retarded and dug your own piss hole.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Z Stangray
G&L ASAT Classic (Ron Kirn Custom T-Style coming soon! ronkirn.com)
Keeley 4 Knob Compressor
Taylor 314ce