he was playing a lead and literally grabbed the neck of his guitar and bent it(Gibson SG), not alot, but enough to make an audible change in pitch, it went sharp, and then returned to normal, and i swear...it was like a trem bar (whammy without a whammy???)

What on earth is this called???
Quote by JacobTheMe
JacobTheEdit: Hell yeah Ruben.

Quote by Jackal58
I met Jesus once. Cocksucker still owes me 20 bucks.
Wow. That sounded very awesome but he maybe had to adjust the truss rod?

Sounded very cool though I'll tell you that
Turtles R awesome. dont agree? YOU GO TO HELL, YOU GO TO HELL AND YOU DIE!

PSN: Purple-munky

Gear...
Ion - acoustic guitar.
Cort KX1Q - i smashed it
Fender Super Champ XD 15w
Stagg G-310 - i smashed it.
I've never seen anyone do that or wanna try that myself.

I guess he was just showing off lol. I can't think why someone would want to do that. It could throw the neck out and the guitar would be useless.
There will be zero tolerance
For the creator of hallowed intentions
Fate is your deciding God
Neck bending. I do it all the time with my acoustic, but it's very bad for the neck. It can cause warping or, if you're not careful, the neck can completely snap off.

Then again, my teacher does it too, and his guitar is old and still in great condition, so maybe acoustic necks can just handle it better?
Last edited by i_don't_know at Sep 14, 2009,
he bent the neck backward
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Quote by DragTheWaters11
I've never seen anyone do that or wanna try that myself.

I guess he was just showing off lol. I can't think why someone would want to do that. It could throw the neck out and the guitar would be useless.

Ya, that's what i was thinking. It just tripped me the hell out, I've never seen anyone do that...
Quote by JacobTheMe

Quote by Jackal58
Quote by justinb904
he bent the neck backward

yes, a bit, but as i said before, enough to make an audible change in pitch
Quote by JacobTheMe

Quote by Jackal58
It's not so much a technique as it is an idea. You don't want to be doing it often, or you will hurt your neck (it won't snap or anything, but the intonation of your guitar might go out) \
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Quote by diofan88
yes, a bit, but as i said before, enough to make an audible change in pitch

It's really not hard at all. You hold the body still and bend the neck forward to make a note go flat or backward to make it go sharp. It's one of the easiest, yet riskiest, techniques.

EDIT: Once again, this is an actual technique known as neck bending. Erik Mongrain does it quite often.
Quote by i_don't_know
It's really not hard at all. You hold the body still and bend the neck forward to make a note go flat or backward to make it go sharp. It's one of the easiest, yet riskiest, techniques.

EDIT: Once again, this is an actual technique known as neck bending. Erik Mongrain does it quite often.

essh man...that's something i am not willing to try right now...
ahahah

but, wow more power to him, it sounded pretty kick ass
Quote by JacobTheMe

Quote by Jackal58
Quote by i_don't_know

Are absolutely sure about all of that?

Your username tells me otherwise.

I think you must be lying then.
For the creator of hallowed intentions
Fate is your deciding God
Last edited by DragTheWaters11 at Sep 14, 2009,
yea it just bends the pitch...its like a small whammy bar. it really doesnt hurt the guitar idk what all these other ppl are saying. but i do it sometimes. whichever way u bend the neck determines if the pitch goes sharp or flat!
Quote by i_don't_know

riskiest? i do it consistently, and worst case scenario you go out of tune or marginally change the intonation, no real harm can be done unless you're trying to rip the neck of or you happen to be Hulk/ she Hulk...

guitars are instruments ment to be played, HARD, experiment a little... it wont break
Last edited by just17n8 at Sep 14, 2009,
I do it on my Gibson's to make feedback do things i want it to do. No big deal.
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
Neck bending. Very easy. Very bad for your guitar.

/thread?
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Lol I do this sometime when I forget to put my tremolo bar on hahaha

Hendrix used to do it a lot as did jimmy page....

Becareful though don't bend it too much it will get weak
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
Quote by just17n8
riskiest? i do it consistently, and worst case scenario you go out of tune or marginally change the intonation, no real harm can be done unless you're trying to rip the neck of or you happen to be Hulk/ she Hulk...

guitars are instruments ment to be played, HARD, experiment a little... it wont break

Ok so I bumped myself but I didn't read this one....I totally agree with this man...play your guitar...its not ur girlfriend it don't have to be pretty and mint...bend it,toss it,walk on it...if your getting good sounds awesome

Oh I did disagree with the first part...they can snap off....3 bolt fenders aren't the sturdiest anyhow

First time I saw this done was on a bass(!).

I figure if an electric guitar's neck can handle the tension changes from a whammy, it can handle a subtle bend here and there just as well. I don't know that I'd use it much/at all on an acoustic though.
I've seen a player do this live and on acoustic, was pretty cool.

I read in Slash's autobiography that he snapped his guitar's neck doing that. It hit him in the face too. Lesson learnt: It's awesome, but don't over do it!
just watch welcome to the jungle and scom live on youtube(at the ends of songs) slash does this regularly so does jimmy page.

you get a similar effect on guitars without a double locking trem by depressing the strings behind the nut.
Last edited by ibanezgod1973 at Sep 15, 2009,
I knew a country player who used to do it on his tele (which had a trem so I don't know why he used to do it).
He'd do it with harmonics etc.
Quote by AlanHB
Yeah well in special UG land chords = noob, scales = intermediate and modes = advanced. Most users are trying to finish the game on hard because then you get the trophies for noob and intermediate difficulties upon completion anyway.
Lots of guitarists do it. Matt Bellamy from Muse will lean the guitar against the amp and bow the neck either until it breaks or the strings snap.
Well you can bow wood just a little bit so it can drop or higher your pitch just grab your guitar at the body and then push your fretting hand in the whised direction not too hard.
you can also fake a whammy
Reminds me of a Paul Gilbert video where he swaps instruments with the bassist and the bassist bends the neck forward to lower the pitch.

He must have a lot of nerve to bend the neck of PG's $9000 guitar.
Quote by leephan
Reminds me of a Paul Gilbert video where he swaps instruments with the bassist and the bassist bends the neck forward to lower the pitch.

He must have a lot of nerve to bend the neck of PG's $9000 guitar.

like gilbert pays for his ibbys, yes i know he can have two identical guitars and might favour one over the other.
He is bending the neck. I first saw Paul Reed Smith do that at a PRS event when they were showing off their new acoustic. I do it on my acoustic every now and then, but I am afraid to damage the guitar. It is a cool effect though.
Quote by Evil_Magician
Get the pink one.

Perforation of women guaranteed.
it's pretty known, but not done a lot. maybe for just a small subtle change, but nothing too noticeable. Slash does it at the end of SCOM. (sweet child o' mine)
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Why is everyone so afraid of hurting their guitars now days?

Its not just on here either a friend of mine wouldn't buy a les paul I was selling cause it had a lot of wear ....what a ***...

Guitars are meant to be PLAYED!!!

Yeah it's a pretty common technique. My old guitar teacher said his son had done it so much as a touring musician that the neck was barely even attached to the guitar anymore or something like that lol
Quote by just17n8

Slash snapped his guitar in half and knocked himself out by bending the neck.
Quote by rdobson2

Its not just on here either a friend of mine wouldn't buy a les paul I was selling cause it had a lot of wear ....what a ***...

Dunno about you but, the majority of folks in here are not exactly shooting money outta their ass
Quote by JacobTheMe

Quote by Jackal58
Quote by just17n8

Uhh, worst case scenario you rip the neck off. I've actually heard of this happening.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by rdobson2

1) We don't all **** bricks of money every time we break something valuable.
2) Some people develop a special bond with their guitars.
3) My guitar has a lot of sentimental value (used to be my dad's).
Pete Townshend was really big on this. It's sort of like using a whammy but on the other side of the guitar. It's really fun to do, just make sure you don't snap anything.
Quote by ascend
First time I saw this done was on a bass(!).

I figure if an electric guitar's neck can handle the tension changes from a whammy, it can handle a subtle bend here and there just as well. I don't know that I'd use it much/at all on an acoustic though.

Tommy Emmanuel gives his acoustic hell with this technique all the time, and he's had that thing for probably decades, although I do know it needs repairing often so maybe that involves the odd neck change too... I dunno, can you even replace the neck on an acoustic?

Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Slash snapped his guitar in half and knocked himself out by bending the neck.

Fail
Last edited by Beserker at Sep 16, 2009,
Breaking the neck of your guitar by bending it seems to me to be about equivalent to smashing your TV screen by throwing a Wiimote through it. Sure, it's possible, but if you weren't being a dick about it to begin with...