I dont really understand why I should or anyone gets head and stack amp setups.. I thought
for a show you only really need an amp loud enough to hear for yourself if there is a PA system...why do so many guitarists use head and stack setups and sometimes have tons of speakers?
I am in the market for an amp and I guess I dont really know if i should get a combo or a stack.... I plan on using it for regular sized club gigs thanks! rock music btw
because it looks cool, and when you're endorsed, you don't have to pay the full price.
as for tone, there's not such a huge difference, you get a better bass response with 4 speakers, but yeah, a combo is less impressive, i think that's the main reason.

oh yeah, some amps only come in head form too.
i have a half stack and i only use it for practice because it's a b*tch to move around
Because they can afford it, or because they think it looks cool. Most people really don't need them. I suggest just getting a combo. What's your budget? What kind of "rock" (examples)?
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
heads are cool because you can swap/trade them out and keep your cabinet.
heads and 212 cabinets in particular can 'sometimes' be easier to transport.
stacks look cool
most of the extra stacks you see at concerts are props or back ups.
two heads are better than one
i like head
More customisable.
More transportable.
Some amps are only made as heads.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by Yngwi3
More customisable.
More transportable.

this

but a lot of indie-bands play with small combos
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
There was an article in Guitar Player about something like this last month. The main thing was that even though most guitarists want the "Rig of Doom", technology has evolved so that it's no longer necessary. My friend's 30 watt 1x12 is more than loud enough to satisfy most needs (it IS an Orange, but still...) That said, most metal amps don't come in combo form, and the ones that do tend to be incredibly heavy.
The biggest concern with a stack is portability. The head itself may be fairly easy to move, but the cab isn't. I'm probably going to end up buying a head and a 212 cab, which should get around the problem quite nicely.
Why does everybody on UG find it completely unreasonable and blasphemous to own/want to buy a half stack?
I like having a sealed speaker enclosure and you don't get that with your typical combo. That's why I own a head+cab.

Now, I own a 4x12 because I like the 'full' sound and I think it looks cool. Not to mention I could afford it.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
I don't have a marshall half stack to be cool....I love the sound I get when its cranked....I've had smaller amps and they just don't do it for me

I never go threw the monitors for shows either and I'm real low in the pa....I have to turn my amp up and that means its really effin loud ,the band don't want that in their faces lol

If you can find the tone you want out of a small amp or combo get it...its just not for me...
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
a stack is not necessary, but ill be damned it it's not more fun to play through.

what genre are you playing though?
Quote by Yngwi3
More customisable.
More transportable.

To that list I would add:
-Fewer issues with feedback/microphonics due to the tubes being farther/ more isolated from the speaker vibrations;
-Better placement of knobs for easier adjustment;
-Many venues/studios supply cabs so you can just bring a head; and
-Ease of use with attenuators.
wow thanks for so many responses ,, i play nirvana ish with my strat and im becoming a pretty good blues solo player too ,, i guess thats where im at ,,,thanks everyone!
Quote by mattfeige
wow thanks for so many responses ,, i play nirvana ish with my strat and im becoming a pretty good blues solo player too ,, i guess thats where im at ,,,thanks everyone!

so a more vintage sound then?

depending on what you wanna spend you could get a

a) Orange tiny terror, fantastic amp, very highly regarded for vintage tones: $400
b1) Fender Blues Jr. not a stack, but it sounds amazing: $550
b2) Vox ac15, legendary clean and overdrive: $600
c)Orange Dual Terror, same as tiny terror but louder: $780
d) vox AC30 not a stack, but its legendary, sounds amazing: $1100
e) Marshall Vintage Modern, about as good as it gets for vintage tones. it's pricey but very worth it: $1300 for a 50 watt head.
f) Orange Rocker 30, a little higher gain than the marshall, but otherwise pretty similar in function: $1400 for a 30 watt head

there's lots of stuff in between that, but these are the ones i've had experience with
^the Vox AC30 does come in the form of a head and cab, not just the 2x12 combo
-----------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Z Stangray
G&L ASAT Classic (Ron Kirn Custom T-Style coming soon! ronkirn.com)
Keeley 4 Knob Compressor
Taylor 314ce
Quote by Bright Light
^the Vox AC30 does come in the form of a head and cab, not just the 2x12 combo

it's pretty rare though isn't it? i think it only comes as a handwired, so it's a lot more expensive. the ac15 also comes as a head, but i know for sure that one is way more expensive
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
it's pretty rare though isn't it? i think it only comes as a handwired, so it's a lot more expensive. the ac15 also comes as a head, but i know for sure that one is way more expensive

http://www.zzounds.com/item--VOXAC30CCH

they're available but seen less commonly since the combo has that aura surrounding it.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
I love 2x12 cabs with a nice head. Though my head probably weighs as much as some combos...
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
You don't need a stack. But many people (including me) prefer them for the reasons which have already been posted.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
you dont need a half stack. If you can get a combo. Ask any guitarist that gigs and doesnt have roadies how pleasant it is to carry those things around
1/4 stack is the best option for portability really. A lot of combos are annoyingly heavy.
Quote by guidothepimmp
you dont need a half stack. If you can get a combo. Ask any guitarist that gigs and doesnt have roadies how pleasant it is to carry those things around

A 2x12 combo is probably the biggest pain in the ass to carry in guitar. I would gladly carry my old 4x12 over one. I, and many others on here, think that a 2x12 with a head is the best compromise in this dilemma.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Yep, I went with a 2x12 and head. Its the best middle ground....but overall I still do agree that the head is way overkill in most situations. I am actually selling my Marshall JCM 2000 head and getting the new Peavey 6505+ 1x12 when it comes out. If/when I want to, I can hook the combo up to my 2x12 cab and basically use it as a head.
i gotta admit my Mazx 38 1x12 combo is a heavy SOB and I hate carrying it from home to practice space. If I had the chance to get the head version at the price I got the used combo at then I would have deffinitely gotten the head with a 1x12 cab. I dont see the need for anything more even at gigs. people say there's more bass response, but if its getting mic'd then they're only gonna mic 1 speaker anyway. I would love being able to carry the head and 1x12 seperately though. other than that, I see no need for a stack for myself. im a minimalist so to each their own.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Z Stangray
G&L ASAT Classic (Ron Kirn Custom T-Style coming soon! ronkirn.com)
Keeley 4 Knob Compressor
Taylor 314ce
I always thought most combos look really nice plonked on a stage...
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
a) Orange tiny terror, fantastic amp, very highly regarded for vintage tones: $400

I could not possibly disagree with you more on that point. The TT is hugely overrated IMO and is definitely not "highly regarded" for vintage tones.
Quote by Roc8995
I could not possibly disagree with you more on that point. The TT is hugely overrated IMO and is definitely not "highly regarded" for vintage tones.

Well his AC15 says 'legendary cleans and drive' which is clearly a superlative of the AC30 not the AC15. So I would guess he just thinks brand quality = product quality.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
i would rather carry a 412 than a 212 combo. especially a closed back combo. plus, you have friends to help if it is THAT hard
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION