Okay, so I've played guitar for about a year now. I'm not very good but I've got the basics down such as quite a few songs, some scales etc. I'm mainly into hard rock and modern rock bands like The Killers and The Strokes as well as some classic rock. I find it pretty hard to play a lot of this stuff though, so I often end up playing easier acoustic type songs like Jack Johnson and stuff, but I don't really like this type of music. Guns N' Roses are my all time favourite band but I suck at playing any of their songs, are they out of my depth and I should start with simpler stuff and work my way up or is that nonsense?

I'm stressed out about about what to do because I thought that maybe I could start listening to more blues and easier stuff to play like that and then build my way up to hard rock and stuff, but the problem is I don't really like blues that much and so I'm basically wondering: would I get better faster if I started playing easier stuff i.e different genres and songs or should I stick to trying to play hard rock and stuff badly?
Is it better to start with easier genres then work your way up? Because right now I feel like I'm way out of my depth and not making any progress.

Thanks, and sorry if it's confusing.
You are like a hurricane
There's calm in your eye.
And I'm gettin' blown away
To somewhere safer
where the feeling stays.
I want to love you but
I'm getting blown away.
you should like multiple genres of music.. im a hypocrit so yeah.. dont listen to that.

just keep practicing, youll get better, and learn blues, its not all easy (im in a blues band(ishould know))
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
yup. practice slow and steady. dnt rush cos then u wont get ur techniques right. although im not pro myself, this way of practicing helped me alot. also a metronome helps and i found power tabs and guitar pro quite useful too. try playing guns n roses, just practice real slow.

have fun
not all hard-rock classic stuff is that hard you know?

try some AC/DC. Start of with thunderstruck or something, that is a pretty easy riff, but sounds awesome so should boost your confidence a little. You don't need to explore different genres to find slower/easy stuff.

although exploring other genres would be good for your all-round musicianship anyway.
learn a riff from tab or something, play it at the tempo you master. then it will devope speed in automode :P
Quote by rocknroll93
you should like multiple genres of music.. im a hypocrit so yeah.. dont listen to that.

just keep practicing, youll get better, and learn blues, its not all easy (im in a blues band(ishould know))

I listen to a lot of genres of music, it's just that I want to mainly play hard rock and stuff but I'm worried it's too hard for me and I'm wasting my time with it and should take up an easier genre such as blues or something and get good at that before trying to play hard rock and failing at it because I'm not good enough.

Another problem I have is that I listen to a lot of hip-hop and drum 'n' bass and stuff and this doesn't really help my guitar playing at all, should I try to stop listening to it?
You are like a hurricane
To somewhere safer
where the feeling stays.
I want to love you but
I'm getting blown away.
Quote by estranged_g_n_r
I listen to a lot of genres of music, it's just that I want to mainly play hard rock and stuff but I'm worried it's too hard for me and I'm wasting my time with it and should take up an easier genre such as blues or something and get good at that before trying to play hard rock and failing at it because I'm not good enough.

Another problem I have is that I listen to a lot of hip-hop and drum 'n' bass and stuff and this doesn't really help my guitar playing at all, should I try to stop listening to it?
You shouldn't stop listening to anything you enjoy - broaden your horizons, don't narrow them!

I don't believe any one genre is easier than another either - it takes as much work/talent/skill whatever you want to call it, to play good blues as it does to shred.

Just learn easier songs from whatever you are interested in, and if you come across something that is too fast just play it slower. Unless you're gigging what does it matter if its not up to speed, provided you learnt something and you enjoy playing it?

As mdwallin said, try some ACDC if you want to play rock
Quote by zhilla
You shouldn't stop listening to anything you enjoy - broaden your horizons, don't narrow them!

I don't believe any one genre is easier than another either - it takes as much work/talent/skill whatever you want to call it, to play good blues as it does to shred.

Just learn easier songs from whatever you are interested in, and if you come across something that is too fast just play it slower. Unless you're gigging what does it matter if its not up to speed, provided you learnt something and you enjoy playing it?

As mdwallin said, try some ACDC if you want to play rock

But hip-hop and drum 'n' bass won't help my guitar at all will it? Or if it does, a lot less than other genres that are guitar-based.

Okay, thanks I'll try to keep playing hard rock then it's just quite hard at the moment because I'm not good enough, but I'll try slow it down.
You are like a hurricane
To somewhere safer
where the feeling stays.
I want to love you but
I'm getting blown away.
bump
You are like a hurricane
To somewhere safer
where the feeling stays.
I want to love you but
I'm getting blown away.
Hip hop and drum 'n' bass won't do your guitar any harm lol, so why stop listening to them if you enjoy them? If anything they should help make your playing more unique, as you can take influences from the music you enjoy and use them in your playing. It might take more thought than taking influences from rock or metal, but that doesn't mean it can't be done.

You can't label a whole genre as too difficult Some will be difficult, some will be easy, and some you'll be able to simplify to make it easier - like playing power chords instead of full chords, or simplifying the rhythm.

Try some ACDC if you haven't already - Shook Me All Night is pretty easy, including the solo (which is all minor pentatonic).
You just need to pick a song you wish you could play. Slowly learn it and keep at it till you can play it. It might take you 6 months or longer before you can play it as well as you would like to. Then pick another one and go at that. Eventually you'll get there and be playing all the songs you want. After a while the songs you think are hard now will get easier and easier.

Just learn what you love. If you have trouble try to identify the areas that are holding you back and work on them.
Si
Haha - Don't assume any genre is easier than another - Blues is by no means easier! Just listen to someone like SRV, or Guthrie Govan.

EDIT:

I am worried you have got a little confused an believe hard rock is so called because it is harder to play, this isn't the case
Last edited by Notmewtwoguitar at Sep 17, 2009,