Page 1 of 2
Yes, I also respond

But in all seriouness I tell them I'm not bad. Like to keep it humble. And if they want to know how good you are, tell them they'll have to hear you play
Last edited by Marky_Strummer at Sep 15, 2009,
You should ignore them, that's the best way to be around people, totally ignorant
I tell them that "everyone else seems to think so, so I'd say yeah im decent"
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
I don't think anyones ever asked me. But if they did i'd probably tell them that i try not to label myself as 'good' because as soon as i do that i could be big headed and hit a dead end because i stopped trying to get better.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Last edited by Blompcube at Sep 15, 2009,
Tell them you suck, then play them Eruption.
Gear:

Gibson Les Paul Custom (Ebony)
USA Jackson KV2 Sunburst
Jackson KE7
BC Rich NJ Classic Mockingbird

Marshall JVM410H
Marshall 1960A

Korg Pitchblack
MXR Super Comp
Dunlop Slash Wah
ISP Decimator
I just say "I don't know" and hope some random younger kid at my school is around who's heard my playing so they can basically tell whoevers asking I'm the best guitar player ever.

Thank **** for younger punks.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Quote by Jesstaa
I just say "I don't know" and hope some random younger kid at my school is around who's heard my playing so they can basically tell whoevers asking I'm the best guitar player ever.

Thank **** for younger punks.

yeah, i have a friend like that (he's not younger he's just not very musically minded). he goes around hyping me up, and then i feel a bit under pressure whenever these people who have heard such good things about me wanna see me play.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Blompcube
yeah, i have a friend like that (he's not younger he's just not very musically minded). he goes around hyping me up, and then i feel a bit under pressure whenever these people who have heard such good things about me wanna see me play.

It's not really just a single friend for me, it's just a bunch of loser-ass 12/13 year olds who think Smoke on the water is amazing. They usually just see my youtube vids, and even when somebody who's been told of my "greatness" sees them, they still think I'm awesome xD
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
It really depends how you define good.

I've been playing for 7 years and although I am ok technically I'd class myself as under average. Sure my techniques not bad but my theory is woeful and I've only ever done two gigs.

There are A LOT of very very good players out there.
Ibanez PGM301 signed by Paul Gilbert
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Saving for a GH100L/VH100R
Orange PPC212 2X12
Quote by sharpant
It really depends how you define good.

I've been playing for 7 years and although I am ok technically I'd class myself as under average. Sure my techniques not bad but my theory is woeful and I've only ever done two gigs.

There are A LOT of very very good players out there.

but just because you havnt played many gigs doesnt mean your not good
if someone asks me can i play stairway or sweet child o mine i just respond with a "yes" if they ask me to play it i respond with a "no". i just hate playing iverplayed tunes.

if they ask me if i`m any good i say give me a fiver for a copy of my demo ep.
Id say i was good at guitar, cause im not bad at the guitar.
MAIN GUITARS:
PRS Single Cut Trem
Ibanez PGM-301
Rickenbacker 650D
Jackson RR5
Taylor 12 String acoustic
Yamaha RBX 5string bass
MAIN AMP:
Hughes And Kettner Trilogy w/ 4x12 HnK cab
its feels awkward, you dont wanna seem arrogant but u dont wanna seem too humble (which makes you seem arrogant anyway)

i usualy say ''you decide, listen to me play next chance''
Quote by eyeplayguitar
I tell them no, I've been playing since January, I suck dick

+1

I'm guessing that a good answer would be: "I can always get better"
Gear:
Yamaha Pacifica 112VCX - Vintage white w/ red tort pickguard
Blackheart Handsome Devil
Vox DA5 Classic
Valencia C-60 Classical
I've been playing for 13 years and I still don't consider myself good. Whenever someone asks, I just say "I could be better."
(۳ ˚Д˚۳
WTFISTHIS****!?!??

My Rig

Quote by SimplyBen
Wait until he's trying the fullstack, then shove it from behind. Crushing him with it's overdrive

Quote by BobDetroit
You can't tune a LP copies down. Some kind of lawsuit Gibson won. Sorry.
"I could be better, I don't even play for a year so maybe I'm not really good."
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
It's not that I don't consider myself "good", it's that I know how much better I'll be someday...
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
I just say: "No"
"Buckethead is probably twice as good a guitar player as me and Slash combined, and can stand having fried chicken rubbed up against his face all night for a couple of hours." - Dave Mustaine
Quote by Waffleguy
I almost always say I suck at guitar because when I look at the skills on this site I'm just a silly beginner. But to people in real life you are good if you can play open chords so they think I'm good.

Yes, but we are not happy with our playing
"Buckethead is probably twice as good a guitar player as me and Slash combined, and can stand having fried chicken rubbed up against his face all night for a couple of hours." - Dave Mustaine
Quote by Stikky207
When somebody asks if you are good at guitar?

I tell them "No, I'm not good at all; actually I suck at it". Of course I'm still learning.

By extension of this question, I take my guitar into the office on the day I have a lesson. I don't leave it in the truck all day. If someone asks me "Do you play guitar!?" I'll answer with "No, I just carry it to look cool".
Look, it's not like John Lennon is going to come back, whack you with a guitar and say "You're playing the fookin' thing all bloody wrong, ya fookin' arsehole." - My teacher on the many ways of playing any song.
If anyone asks me it, it's usually in the vicinity of guitar, so I let them see for themselves.
But otherwise I'll be like "Well some say I'm good, but I'm still a bit off in my opinion" and it ends up in a conversation with what I've done with my playing and what I'm planning on doing.
i can play battery on expert
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Roland Cube 30x
Line 6 Pod X3 Live
LTD Ec-1000
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
i haven't really been asked, but for me, it's not always how fast someone can play or how much they know about theory. For me, it's more about the emotion. If you're shredding just to shred, then though you have much skill, it's being wasted.

but if one plays the most simple improv on the minor pentatonic, but it's with all his/her emotion, then I'd say it's pretty awesome.
Quote by Blompcube

+1 You always have to set new goals for what you want to achieve. If you say you're good then chances are you'll stop trying to achieve new things.

So, If someone asked me if I was good at playing guitar my response would be "It depends on what you consider "Good" to be. Do I know music that I want to play that I can't right now due to a lack of skill? Yes, I want to play like Joe Maphis and Les Paul. I'm not a bad guitarist but I'm not completely satisfied with my style or skill right now and I may never be no matter how good I get because there is so much music"
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
I kick their crotch,run back home,sit at my room's corner crying "I CAN play" into a pillow.
Quote by Stikky207
When somebody asks if you are good at guitar?

If I have a guitar I prove it...

otherwise everyone tells me I'm good, but they aren't the most musically talented although I pissed off a lot of experienced cats back in the day when I shredded them a new asshole.

But yeah I stay humble. Say my playing is decent...probably cuz that's all it is..decent haha
if you are playing shows. you always should say, well I got a show tonight or tomorow .. whatever.. come see me play.
Quote by Firebirdz
I kick their crotch,run back home,sit at my room's corner crying "I CAN play" into a pillow.

Many lulz were had. If this site had a rep system and I had power, I would rep you heavily.
Look, it's not like John Lennon is going to come back, whack you with a guitar and say "You're playing the fookin' thing all bloody wrong, ya fookin' arsehole." - My teacher on the many ways of playing any song.
Quote by 1nSingularity
Do what everyone does...

"HELL YEAH!!"
In all seriousness, I don't think I'm great, but I don't think I'm bad either. I can play, but I'm not fantastic by any means.

I just say, "I'm OK"
Quote by 1nSingularity
fixed

Just a fare warning, in the last couple of days I've seen you double post like 3 times... just edit your first post. Cause it's against the rules.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
I HATE that question! I don't really have an answer for it. I usually say "I'm still learning" or "I'm ok" and leave it at that.

I've only been playing two years . . .
I rip out my guitar which I always carry around in case of such a situation, rip out some epic sweeps/8 finger tapping/other various facemelting techniques and laugh as their heads explode out of pure awe/lust/jealousy.

But seriously, I've never actually been asked, and if I was, I'd probably just say I'm alright.
I've been asked from time to time, and I always am blatantly honest and say I suck. I know I'm not very good as far as being a guitarist goes, but I don't resent that. It's a hobby and for a hobbyist I'm decent but as a guitarist I suck.
Page 1 of 2