Hi im new to the forums here but i figured i post

im running a jackson randy rhodes model through a marshall mg100dfx combo and im considering looking into a rack

i have a pedalboard with 6 or so stompboxes in it, but what im looking for is to have a rack with rack units to replace the stomp boxes that i leave on all the time

i was thinking an eq, tuner, power conditioner and maybe a cheap multi fx just for fun

cud anyone reccomend any relatively cheap rack units like the ones above?

sorry if somthing like this has been posted before and any help would really be appreciate
sorry mate but the next ten responces will be: get a new amp. however i will see if i can help.
a power conditioner is a must. one powerspike and your whole rack is dead, so the powerconditioner is very important.
rack tuners are overpriced unless you go used. i wouldnt waste your money if you already have a pedal tuner or something. why have two tuners?
if you get a rack mount multi effecs you will need some sort of midi controller to switch patches and stuff
see it gets expensive very quickly. so you would be better off with a new amp honestly but i hope that helped anyway.
cheap and rack units don't go together brother

if you want a rack unit, you should buy quality stuff
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Tribute (Bare Knuckle Nailbombs)
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul (Seymour Duncan Pegasus and Sentinent)
-Ibanez S470 (Dimarzio D-sonic and Humbucker from Hell)
-PRS SE Custom (Guitarforce Black Diamond and Lord of the Blues)

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
EVH 5150III EL-34 50w
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Boss Super Chorus
Bogner Uberschall
Ibanez DE7 Delay
Electro-Harmonix Power Booster
Fender PT100 Pedal Tuner

Strings:
Ernie Ball Skinny Top/Heavy Bottom 10-52
thanks for the advice, tbh im intending on gettin a new amp at sum stage but i really wont hav the money for that anytime soon, i want to get a power amp and preamp at some stage. oh and i just realised i forgot to put in that i need a noise gate.
any ideas on an alternative to a decimator, i know they cost an arm and a leg?
Quote by Skwisgarr
thanks for the advice, tbh im intending on gettin a new amp at sum stage but i really wont hav the money for that anytime soon, i want to get a power amp and preamp at some stage. oh and i just realised i forgot to put in that i need a noise gate.
any ideas on an alternative to a decimator, i know they cost an arm and a leg?

ebay.
mate if you buy a new amp chances are you wont have enough for a rack. they are expensive to set up
all quality rack gear is incredibly expensive.
just save up until you can afford great rack gear, otherwise you'll definitely regret it
GEAR
ESP LTD Alexi-200
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Halfstack
Squier Affinity Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Line 6 Uber Metal
Quote by soloXshredder
all quality rack gear is incredibly expensive.
just save up until you can afford great rack gear, otherwise you'll definitely regret it

Rack gear isn't as expensive as everyone makes it out to be. You can get a very decent preamp, poweramp and effects etc. at pretty reasonable prices. Marshall JMP-1 (250-300 used) is decent and not all that expensive, Peavey 50/50 (300-350 used) is decent and not all that expensive, Behringer rack tuner (80 bucks new) is decent and not all that expensive, DBX EQ (150 new) is decent and not all that expensive, etc. etc.

- Phonic power conditioner
- Behringer rack tuner (only if you have an extra line out on one of the pedals to use for this, you don't want this tuner in your direct chain.
- DBX 2x15 band rack EQ. Or just place an MXR10 (120 new) band eq in a tray.
- For effects a used TC Electronisc G-major would be great.

I agree with the others though, a new amp would be a more logical first step.
WTLTL 2011
Last edited by Mark G at Sep 15, 2009,
Just so you know that a power conditioners primary job is not as a surge protector, some do this too but is mainly because the actual amount of voltage will vary from place to place depending on how far you are from the local junction and the load already on the lines. Too much voltage and fried equips and too low and the gear wont sound so great, especially amps.

Equally some AC supply's are noisy which is also a job of a conditioner to filter this hum.

Power conditioners are only a must if you are moving your rig all the time, regular gigging or you have power quality issues at your home.

If its just power spikes you are worried about i suggest a surge protector.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
Last edited by halikus at Sep 15, 2009,