I would def. like to know where i am at right now ive been playing 11 months now, im also having this problem with my fretting hand cramping up.

Here is a video of me playing Candlebox far behind, I know I didnt do that great on the solo, what can i do to improve it? My fretting hand starts cramping up alot when I try to go fast on solos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0NvPwM9uMM

what should I do to make solos smoother, and keep my hand from cramping?
Last edited by Heathbb at Sep 15, 2009,
practise, practise, practise.
Quote by necrosis1193
Somewhere in a concert hall in Sweden, you have just caused Yngwie Malmsteen physical pain. You also caused him to catch on fire.

Quote by frusciante.ve
I like that new song of theirs that goes all "peeeeeaaaas wiiiill comeeeeee toooo meeeee"

Just because you Seymour Duncan, doesn't mean you Seymour Dunshould
I'm gunna go out on a limb here, and say that you're probably pressing down on the strings too hard. It's what causes most people's hands to cramp.

And also what ^ said: to get better at playing, you gotta practice! Don't dig in when playing fast try and glide over strings, make sure the picking movement is coming from your wrist, mute strings lower than what you're playing with your picking hand, strings higher with your fretting hand etc etc
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Last edited by pigeonmafia at Sep 15, 2009,
Quote by pigeonmafia
I'm gunna go out on a limb here, and say that you're probably pressing down on the strings too hard. It's what causes most people's hands to cramp.

And also what ^ said: to get better at playing, you gotta practice! Don't dig in when playing fast try and glide over strings, make sure the picking movement is coming from your wrist, mute strings lower than what you're playing with your picking hand, strings higher with your fretting hand etc etc

hmm you are quite right I squeeze the life out my guitars neck, whenever i glide over the strings and pick sometimes i get a muted string so i formed a habit of pressing down hard (not that hard) on my strings and after playing a solo over and over again my hands cramps
Try and press down with *just* enough force for the string to sound, no more (and obviously no less lol). It might take a well to be able to do it consistently, but it'l help your hand
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
I've not watched the video because I'm at work (working hard!), but cramping will be caused by too much tension. Too much tension can cause injuries so you should correct yourself asap. If it is only when you are trying to play fast then slow down. Don't try to play fast until you can comfortably play the fast part at a slower BPM, then increase it slowly. Use a metronome for this.
Looks like you're just trying to play too fast at the moment. Focus on getting it clean at a speed you can comfortably manage. If you speed up too soon you'll end up fretting too hard and playing sloppily, as you'll be forcing it. If you sort out your accuracy, get your hands working in synch and work on economy of motion you'll find you naturally start to speed up and it will sound a lot better and feel a lot more comfortable.
Quote by Heathbb
I would def. like to know where i am at right now ive been playing 11 months now, im also having this problem with my fretting hand cramping up.

Here is a video of me playing Candlebox far behind, I know I didnt do that great on the solo, what can i do to improve it? My fretting hand starts cramping up alot when I try to go fast on solos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0NvPwM9uMM

what should I do to make solos smoother, and keep my hand from cramping?

You need to RELAX while playing,its very important,but also difficult ...the pressure to get things right or keep up a fast tempo is great,warm up before playing,when the cramp comes stop playing ,flatten out your hand..even soaking it in warm water might help,watch out for other symptoms,numbness tingling any burning sensations,you dont want to get carpal tunnel or guyons canal syndrome.