Hey guys, I'm getting my 6505 in a coupla days, and getting rid of my Bugera.
Although I'm really looking forward to getting my Peavey, I feel like I'm going to miss having a nice clean/overdrive tone.
I'll have some cash left over, and was thinking about maybe buying another head to use compensate for what the Peavey can't do

So I'm basically just looking for something cheap-ish, with only clean and crunch in mind. Preferably not a 212 combo, a 112 or head- because I think 212's are pretty inconvenient.
I don't really know where to start looking haha, so I appreciate all your feedback
Schecter C-1 Classic (BKP Painkillers)
Schecter Tempest Custom EMG 81/85)
Jackson DK2M
Boss: Ge-7, DD-7, RV-5, NS-2, SD-1
MXR: KFK 10 Band EQ, Dynacomp, Stereo Chorus
Voodoo Lab Sparke Drive
Bugera 333XL 212 Combo
Classic 30?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
some kind of fender tube amp
GEAR
ESP LTD Alexi-200
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Halfstack
Squier Affinity Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Line 6 Uber Metal
carvin mts, amazing clean channel and rectoish dirty
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
Quote by soloXshredder
some kind of fender tube amp

Not for crunch. Fenders don't crunch.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Well I don't need much crunch, just enough for a blues-rock tone.
I can stick and OD in front of it or whatever need be lol.

I was thinking about the Classic 30, how are the cleans?
Schecter C-1 Classic (BKP Painkillers)
Schecter Tempest Custom EMG 81/85)
Jackson DK2M
Boss: Ge-7, DD-7, RV-5, NS-2, SD-1
MXR: KFK 10 Band EQ, Dynacomp, Stereo Chorus
Voodoo Lab Sparke Drive
Bugera 333XL 212 Combo
classic 30 is good. and if you ever need to get into metal territory, just get a Tubescreamer or Bad monkey
GEAR
ESP LTD Alexi-200
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Halfstack
Squier Affinity Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Line 6 Uber Metal
Quote by sdmf.1919
Well I don't need much crunch, just enough for a blues-rock tone.
I can stick and OD in front of it or whatever need be lol.

I was thinking about the Classic 30, how are the cleans?

For that I probably would go Fender. Something low wattage that you can OD a bit. Maybe a Deluxe Reverb, or a Hot Rod Deluxe? For lower budget look at the Blues Jr and Superchamp XD.

Classic 30 cleans are good, but if cleans with a slight OD to them is what you are most after, I'd go Fender.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Marshall Class 5?
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Used blues jr or pro jr and a decent od pedal should do the trick. Or a classic 30 if that is your taste. I think the cleans are better on the fenders tho. imo...
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by tubetime86
Not for crunch. Fenders don't crunch.

If the JTM-45 didn't need a pedal to crunch, why would a Bassman need one?

Anyway, i'd suggest something like a 18 watt Ceriatone if your buget is high, but if you need it forsomething like bedroom/band practice, take a look at the Blackheart series
Last edited by stykerwolf at Sep 15, 2009,
^OK true, I should have said no modern Fenders have crunch. It is true the original Bassman amps did crunch, in fact they were the first to crunch. But by the time they got to 1975 and made my amp, crunch was long gone.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
^OK true, I should have said no modern Fenders have crunch. It is true the original Bassman amps did crunch, in fact they were the first to crunch. But by the time they got to 1975 and made my amp, crunch was long gone.

Ye, well they all crunch, when the volume is at infinity lol

And even so, some people prefer the Bassman cleans to the Twin Reverb cleans.
All in all, i would look around, you can find one for cheep on CL (don't really know the exact price but somewhere around 400-600 would do for a head)
Quote by stykerwolf
Ye, well they all crunch, when the volume is at infinity lol

And even so, some people prefer the Bassman cleans to the Twin Reverb cleans.
All in all, i would look around, you can find one for cheep on CL (don't really know the exact price but somewhere around 400-600 would do for a head)

I am one of those people. I just meant that Fenders don't really 'crunch' like a Marshall, except of course the early Bassmans. The sound is usually referred to as a 'grind' or 'scream.' The point being that it is more subtle, and less punchy OD. Marshalls tend to have a 'mid-range bark,' whereas Fenders it is a 'high-end grind.' If that makes sense.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Vox Night train, ac30 etc.
Gear
Tokai Love Rock
Vox AC4
Danelectro Transparent Overdrive
T.C. Electronic Nova Repeater
Stomp Under Foot Violet Rams Head
I personally don't see the problem with a 6505 acting as a soft crunch tone. But I suppose if the tone doesn't give you a stiffy, maybe you could use that extra money to purchase an amp that can do everything?

Otherwise, I'd suggest what everyone has suggested: Classic 30, AC15, Blackheart Little Giant, Orange Tiny Terror, Night Train, Blues Junior, Epi Valve Junior, Superchamp XD, Hot Rod Deluxe, the new Laney Cub (not tried it, though), valvepower, vox AC4TV, Peavey Windsor, Laney LC15, Valveking, Laney Lionheart, Orange AD5 - I haven't played all of those personally, but they've all received suitable comments.
Quote by AngryGoldfish
valvepower,

+1, assiming he's in the UK/europe. I have a vague feeling that he might be, but i'm not certain. Bear in mind, though, the cleans aren't fendery, but are nice if you like warm cleans. The crunch, though, is
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?