I need some help installing a Killswitch into my Ibanez GAX30. I know the general procedure but due to how this guitar is built I'm not entirely sure how to go about it. I really don't want a broken guitar so here are some example pictures of what I intend to do with a more thorough explanation beneath.

Guitar Front:

Guitar Back:

Where I want the Killswitch:

Where that is on the back:

HELP!
The wiring:

The wiring is all in the back on this guitar, and under the faceplace is... nothing. To get around this and put the Killswitch where I want, I'm gonna take off the backplate and drill into the wall of the guitar until it reaches where the faceplate would be on the other side. The just join it up with drilling under the faceplate. Are there any alternatives to this or is this a good idea?

The main thing I need help with is the wiring, I know about soldering and all that but where do I do that with this type of guitar? It's a 3 way switch, one tone knob, one volume.
Last edited by Torked at Sep 16, 2009,
Quote by Torked
The wiring is all in the back on this guitar, and under the faceplace is... nothing. To get around this and put the Killswitch where I want, I'm gonna take off the backplate and drill into the wall of the guitar until it reaches where the faceplate would be on the other side. The just join it up with drilling under the faceplate. Are there any alternatives to this or is this a good idea?

The main thing I need help with is the wiring, I know about soldering and all that but where do I do that with this type of guitar? It's a 3 way switch, one tone knob, one volume.

what?

i would just go push-pull pot. and wire it spdt. one throw to the output, the other throw, grounded. the pole would be the guitar signal from the pot. i'd just replace the tone pot since you aren't used to guitar wiring. from wiring. check out the ultimate wiring thread. as well as the ultimate killswitch thread. both are in the sticky at the top of the forum.

On the wiring diagram in the stickied thread, which one should I be following for my type of guitar?

And as for the drilling. I just mean I'm gonna make a hole under the faceplate of the front(as there's just wood under it) and connect it to the place where the wiring is in the back by drilling into the side of the woodwall in the hole where the wiring is (see the last pic) sorry if that's a little unclear
You could also, instead of a push/pull knob acting as a kill switch, you can get tone/volume knobs with a killswitch button on the top of the knob itself. Both options seem better than drilling to me...
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Quote by Torked
On the wiring diagram in the stickied thread, which one should I be following for my type of guitar?

And as for the drilling. I just mean I'm gonna make a hole under the faceplate of the front(as there's just wood under it) and connect it to the place where the wiring is in the back by drilling into the side of the woodwall in the hole where the wiring is (see the last pic) sorry if that's a little unclear

if you really feel the needed to drill just put it in the control cavity with your switch and pots. and which diagram depends on what type of switch. in jims wiring thread, there should be a small section for killswitches. may require reading the whole first 5 posts.
why cant you have it where the cavity is? it is still drilled, but less drilling/not as close to you hand (when you play)

a properly placed killswitch is better than one that gets in the way.
Quote by Scowmoo

You deserved this, Matt.
3rd post. 2nd pic. just switches. you take the output (center lug) of your volume pot and put it in the center of the switch. that is the pole. then one side you route to your output and the other to the ground. use the spdt switch. it's only got 3 lugs.
The reason is aside from ease of use on faceplate, that I could crack the finish and such near the knobs if I put it and drill there. Yes, there's less drilling, but more risk in my opinion.

I think I should have mentioned this, but this is the Killswitch that I have.

Will this work Blandguitar? If not, which diagram should I look at for this type of Killswitch? It's a normally open spst as far as I remember.
Use the one where 1 lug is connected to Volume + ground and the other goes to the output jack.

I have that exact same killswitch in my guitar and I did it that way and it works fine.

Also if you put it where you want it you will practically need to move the whole control cavity unless you want a ****load of work.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
Great I'll look at that one

Just to clarify the drilling, because I really do need to know if this'll work or not:

I'll drill into the side where the arrow is (taking great care) until it reaches about as far as the second red line (obviously not surfacing) I'll then do the rest of the drilling underneath the faceplate at the front, connecting the hole I just drilled to it and feeding the wires through etc.
you could also just swap the tone knob for it...

thats what i would do....
most tone knobs just make it sound crappy anywho, lol

but do your drilling if you want it there.

ohh, and when your drilling the scratchplate, drill slowly, bits catch, and eat plastic if you let them. (pulls itself in to fast and can break the scratchplate)
so i recomend useing a range of bits and going from your smallest bit, to the bit that has the right size for the switch.

and remmember, you can fix it if you drill to small. you cant fix it if you drill to big.
Quote by Scowmoo

You deserved this, Matt.
Quote by random_B-RAD
Use the one where 1 lug is connected to Volume + ground and the other goes to the output jack.

I have that exact same killswitch in my guitar and I did it that way and it works fine.

Also if you put it where you want it you will practically need to move the whole control cavity unless you want a ****load of work.

Wrong. One lug should be connected to the volume pot and the output jack, and the other lug should be connected to ground.
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
Quote by asfastasdark
Wrong. One lug should be connected to the volume pot and the output jack, and the other lug should be connected to ground.

Why would you need to ground the volume and output jack? Ground the volume jack with a killswitch is quite sufficient.
Lefty Strat Copy w/ GFS Lil' killer rails + Crazy wiring
Lefty Kona Thinline Acoustic/Electric
Righty-to-Lefty Silvertone Bass
Righty-to-Lefty Memphis Short Scale Bass
Vox AD30VT-XL

Tascam US-428 USB Interface Mixer
Guitar Rig 3
Quote by GeToChKn
Why would you need to ground the volume and output jack? Ground the volume jack with a killswitch is quite sufficient.

That's not what you said though. You said to solder one lug to the volume and to ground, which would automatically ground the signal. Or if you were talking about soldering the back of the volume pot and ground together, then it is also always grounded.
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
What asfastasdark said is correct. I did mine a while ago so I didn't quite remember it but I checked it then.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
It is done! Thank you all for the help. I managed to get it in the place that I wanted and completely concealing anywhere that I've drilled.

If anybody has this model (Ibanez GAX30) and wants a Killswitch on the faceplate, I'd be happy to talk you through it
yeah, might've put it a little lower...
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
Quote by Torked
It is done! Thank you all for the help. I managed to get it in the place that I wanted and completely concealing anywhere that I've drilled.

If anybody has this model (Ibanez GAX30) and wants a Killswitch on the faceplate, I'd be happy to talk you through it

Congrats!!
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
essentially. Buckethead, Tom Morello, whoever gobbles your knob.
------

Shwiggity.
Honestly I was not really familiar with this. I don't know very many people who have a kill switch....Avant-garde
Quote by Marrowoflife
Honestly I was not really familiar with this. I don't know very many people who have a kill switch....Avant-garde

I've got a killswitch. it's a gibson style toggle set to ON/OFF/ON. love mucking around with it.
GEAR:
Epiphone LP special model 2 (Heavily modded - killswitch and custom midi X-Y touch pad).
Digitech Whammy, Zvex Fuzz Factory, Boss Dynamic Wah, Electro harmonix Little Big Muff, Zoom G7.1ut, Digitech Grunge, Korg KP2.
Marshall AVT 50x