Anyone ever used these? I have read a few good reviews on them, and was wondering how good they are for heavy metal?
Peavey 6505+
Marshall Jcm-900 Lead 1960 cab
Jackson USA RR1 w/SD blackouts
Jackson Dominion w/SD Distortion
Jackson SLS3 w/SD blackouts
Maxon OD808
EH Small Clone chorus
Ampeg B2R
Ampeg Cabs, 4x10, 1x15
Rickenbacker Bass Guitar
Ibanez CP-9
The 59's are pickups you want to have in the neck position. In the bridge, it might get too muddy to play metal with (good for blues et., though), but in the neck it gives you some nice, soaring leads and wonderful cleans.
well i got it on my washburn and have coil tap on it.

well...it's a neck pickup.

try seymour duncan 59 - neck.and customs in the bridge
Last edited by hitl at Sep 15, 2009,
Quote by hitl
well i got it on my washburn and have coil tap on it.

well...it's a neck pickup.

try seymour duncan 59 - neck.and customs in the bridge

i have a 59 in the neck, love it

i have a custom custom in the bridge, and kinda wish i got a custom 5
So what would be a good PU for the bridge? The guitar Im getting has a set of them, with coil taps. I know that Mark Morton from LOG uses them, but Im sure he has an awesome setup so its probably easy for him to get that great sound from his 59 in his bridge.
Peavey 6505+
Maxon OD808
EH Small Clone chorus
Ampeg B2R
Ampeg Cabs, 4x10, 1x15
Rickenbacker Bass Guitar
Ibanez CP-9
Quote by Diamond Dave
i have a 59 in the neck, love it

i have a custom custom in the bridge, and kinda wish i got a custom 5

i have the same as you i love my two..and with the coil tap i can get pretty different sounds

ts/
you could get away with the 59 when you were playing some stoner stuff.or some dirty sounds..but it's not the best for heavy metal...but i think you need a bridge pick up
So what should I look into? Should I look at something other than Seymour Duncans? Or should I go with actives? I have blackouts in my RR1, which I love, but my new guitar has a mahagony body thats chambered, so I would like to keep the tone from that because I have heard that actives make your sound less "organic"
Peavey 6505+
Maxon OD808
EH Small Clone chorus
Ampeg B2R
Ampeg Cabs, 4x10, 1x15
Rickenbacker Bass Guitar
Ibanez CP-9
Quote by cbehrendt
So what should I look into? Should I look at something other than Seymour Duncans? Or should I go with actives? I have blackouts in my RR1, which I love, but my new guitar has a mahagony body thats chambered, so I would like to keep the tone from that because I have heard that actives make your sound less "organic"

It's all personal preference of course but I don't like actives and your description about the sound being less organic and woody is kinda true. Actives do not sound as natural as passives.

The 59 is supposed to be pretty awesome in the neck though I haven't tried it myself. I have a PAF Pro in a neck position and it sounds very nice. Generally very versatile and it can do pretty much everything.

I'm interested to know how it compares to the '59 though if any one has experience with both
Last edited by XtAsY2007 at Sep 15, 2009,
Well Im planning on keeping the 59 in the neck, but what about a good bridge PU that would be good for heavy metal?
Peavey 6505+
Maxon OD808
EH Small Clone chorus
Ampeg B2R
Ampeg Cabs, 4x10, 1x15
Rickenbacker Bass Guitar
Ibanez CP-9
Last edited by cbehrendt at Sep 15, 2009,
Quote by cbehrendt
Well Im planning on keeping the 59 in the neck, but what about a good bridge PU that would be good for heavy metal?

As already suggested, a Seymour Duncan Custom in the bridge would balance nicely with the '59 in the neck. You could also go for a Custom 5 if you'd rather have a warmer, slightly less aggressive sound. Both will easily fulfill your metal needs if you have the right amp
Last edited by XtAsY2007 at Sep 15, 2009,
Quote by DarkValo666
The 59's are pickups you want to have in the neck position. In the bridge, it might get too muddy to play metal with (good for blues et., though), but in the neck it gives you some nice, soaring leads and wonderful cleans.
Muddy in the bridge but ok in the neck? That makes absolutely no sense.

TS: the '59 works just fine in the bridge, only problem is that you might find it a little bit bright and possibly slightly shrill and thin.
Last edited by al112987 at Sep 15, 2009,
Well I have a Peavey 6505+, so would I be able to get some really heavy tones with the 59/59? I also have a maxon od808 that I could throw in front as well.
Peavey 6505+
Maxon OD808
EH Small Clone chorus
Ampeg B2R
Ampeg Cabs, 4x10, 1x15
Rickenbacker Bass Guitar
Ibanez CP-9
JB Bridge FTW!!!!

Seriously, make sure you can coil tap both the 59 and the JB and try the sound produced by both of them tapped with the selector switch in the middle. Strat heaven.

Quote by cbehrendt
Well I have a Peavey 6505+, so would I be able to get some really heavy tones with the 59/59? I also have a maxon od808 that I could throw in front as well.

Not really HEAVY. The 59 is great for blues, but in metal amps it might not be that great. Try it out and see.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
Last edited by sesstreets at Sep 15, 2009,
I actually have a JB tb4 laying around somewhere, could try that. I was looking into the SH-6 duncan distortion, anyone have any experience with that?
Peavey 6505+
Maxon OD808
EH Small Clone chorus
Ampeg B2R
Ampeg Cabs, 4x10, 1x15
Rickenbacker Bass Guitar
Ibanez CP-9
if you play high gain stuff like me... I wont get it, I have one in my Washburn and im planning all day on neck's pick ups...
TH3 G3Ar
- JCM 900 SL-X and SV MKII 100HD with LIne 6 sv412
-Bunch of pedals ( WD,BM,NR-2...)
-Ibanez Universe uv777pbk,Rg 2550&321mh
-http://backtorlyeh.bandcamp.com/
Quote by Adrian89
if you play high gain stuff like me... I wont get it, I have one in my Washburn and im planning all day on neck's pick ups...

Are you talking about the 59 or the sh6?
Peavey 6505+
Maxon OD808
EH Small Clone chorus
Ampeg B2R
Ampeg Cabs, 4x10, 1x15
Rickenbacker Bass Guitar
Ibanez CP-9
The JB is amazing dude, try it out. I personally loved the sound I got when plugged into a 6505+
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
well i must say...if you coil tap the 59 and the JB, or custom or whatever..you will get like 2x more sounds then you can get from eny guitar...from death metal to clean jazz